Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:35:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686536
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dragon rampant unit size question  (Read 2226 times)

Offline sunspear

• Assistant
Dragon rampant unit size question
« on: November 28, 2016, 11:40:56 PM »
I am just getting into dragon rampant and I have a question about unit size. It seems to me that if you base single models (I'm doing that so I can play anything from skirmish on up), that the largest unit size you could have is 12 models, counting 1 wound for each model. For larger games how would you handle this? What if I wanted to field units of say, 24 models? Would I then remove 2 models per wound?
Thanks for any clarifications

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Dragon rampant unit size question
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 12:16:21 AM »
Yes, you can do exactly that. Or just record the number of wounds on your roster sheet. But double casualties for each wound means that you can do it all visually.

Dragon Rampant works perfectly well with multiple-based models, so long as you can keep track of casualties; I tend to use multi-based Hordes of the Things elements for some units with individually based "spares" to facilitate casualty removal.

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 02:10:57 AM »
A unit is a unit is a unit and you can do what you like with it, just keep track of the hitpoints.

I have single-based units of one giant, three bases of three minotaurs, one base of 14 goblins, etc.  They all work out.
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.

Offline sunspear

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 02:19:46 AM »
Ok, thanks. I thought I was reading it correctly but I wanted to be sure. So I have another question. Why would you ever have a unit over 12 models strong? Other than for looks correct?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 02:45:45 AM by sunspear »

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 07:59:55 AM »
 Yes - it would just be the inverse of creating a reduced-model unit. As an example, if I were using these guys for Dragon Rampant, I might count a base of five models or so as either one or two wounds:

So that could give a horde of as many as 60 models, though with a base-to-base "footprint" that wouldn't be much bigger than 12 loosely spaced individuals.

Those 60 chaos creatures could conceivably be a unit of Bellicose Foot. And they might be facing a single-model Elite Foot in the form of Elric (for example). You can see how that might create the desired effect on the tabletop.

Offline sunspear

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 08:41:59 AM »
Ok, thanks for the example. Just wanted to be sure

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 09:47:57 AM »
You remember how Snotlings and swarms and such used to have multiple models per base, but still be counted as a single base for casualty removal? It's kind of like that. I'm planning to have Orc units of maybe 18-20 or so models, for the look of the thing, but then just 'ignore' 8 of them. Make all rolls based on them having 8 less models than they do and that way, when the unit takes heavy casualties, the 8 extra cowardly Orc-types will simply leg it.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Giger

• Mad Scientist
    • Crucium Giger's Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 09:59:19 AM »
We play with everything unit based so commonly we have 6 pt units with 8 miniatures and 12 pt units with 16 miniatures but with things like monsters and elite units then pretty much anything goes for us, the key is keeping track of your strength points which we do with dice.

Offline sunspear

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 02:32:50 PM »
Alright thanks for the explanations, i can wrap my head around it now. I wasn't sure when I first read the rule book. The rules are pretty straightforward but that one had me stumped for a minute. Just used to my old WFB gameplay I suppose.

Offline Engel

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 03:51:20 PM »
My friends Elves use redused model units, we reconned that an elf would be as powerfull as two mere mortals.

For bigger battle in Dragon or Lion Rampant we have used multiple warbands on each side, that seems to work great.

Here are my AARs with Dragon Rampant, hope they can inspire

http://kampgruppe-engel.blogspot.se/2016/06/alfer-mot-vttr-dragon-ramart-aar.html

http://kampgruppe-engel.blogspot.se/2016/07/alver-mot-vattar-dragons-rampant-aar.html

http://kampgruppe-engel.blogspot.se/2016/08/vattar-vs-dokkalfar-aar.html

https://kampgruppe-engel.blogspot.se/2016/11/vattar-mot-aelfer.html

Offline sunspear

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2016, 11:47:14 PM »
Engel- great battle reports! And the terrain looks awesome too! I think that adds a lot to the game. Thanks

Offline livanbard

• Assistant
example
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2016, 05:10:09 PM »
Sunspear, my nurgle force also use reduced models units. My "hero" is a 2 model unit with bell and champion, later I plan to change to 3 with the addition of a banner, and simple reduce each model strength points to 4 instead of 6. Simple stuff.