Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:53:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dangerboy's Pulp Alley Leagues  (Read 17507 times)

Offline Supercollider

• Mad Scientist
Re: Dangerboy's Pulp Alley Leagues: Cloaks and Daggers
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2019, 06:02:13 AM »
Wonderful conversions and painting.  You've created some great characters.

Offline Deserter

• Assistant
Re: Dangerboy's Pulp Alley Leagues: Cloaks and Daggers
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2019, 01:50:35 PM »
Wow! My new favourite log on the whole forum! I've loved the Horrorclix range for a long time (it's a shame they're no longer producing or adding to the range!) and I've got a lot of miniatures from it in my Pulp/Horror/Fantasy collections but you've really opened my eyes to the massive potential in the Heroclix range too! I've converted and repainted a few Heroclix but I've normally just stuck to weapon swaps (an often poor part of some of the otherwise fairly decent sculpts, with the extra bendy swords and guns that seem to be the norm with the cheaper plastic figures) but you've got me looking at the bag of misc. heroes and villains with a new eye! I've just been on eBay looking for some job lots too!

Really really inspiring stuff! I love the themes of the Leagues (I normally paint up all sorts and then pull them together for warbands/gangs etc. but I love your themed groups! Especially the one inspired by Lobster Johnson's relatively mundane crew! That's definitely something to consider :) I especially love the Sandman conversion - a great character in his original form but taken to a new level with the domino-masked head of Green Lantern! On a sidenote, have you read any of the Sandman Mystery Theatre books? Definitely worth a look for pulp goodness with a more grounded flair!

Also - do you have any other project logs up online? I'd love to see your other stuff prior to these!

Offline Dangerboy

• Bookworm
Dangerboy's Pulp Alley Leagues
« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2019, 03:31:59 AM »
Wonderful brush work.

Wonderful conversions and painting.  You've created some great characters.

Really really inspiring stuff!

Thanks for the high praise, guys.

The whole converting Heroclix bit started with looking at a mountain of duplicate figures and wondering what could be done with them. Earlier sets actually had a decent amount of detail to the sculpts under the layers of the factory paint, so the first miniature I converted for Pulp Alley was really just careful stripping and a repaint. After that it was a hand swap and repaint and then another—and suddenly I was off to the races.

My approach has changed over time, though. Initially, I was focused on getting finished leagues on the table, so it was just more efficient to build around a specific theme or "borrow" an idea from somewhere else and get to chopping. Eventually I started piecing together characters friends and I had invented; John Danger, for example, is a character I played in an rpg years ago and always wanted a figure for. Now it's a little of Column A, a little of Column B, where I look at art for ideas and at figures for parts that might come together into something interesting. A spare Sandman is a suit, pistol and cape, and Green Lantern is a mask and hairdo—and it works, even if it doesn't exactly match the inspiration.

I have read Sandman Mystery Theatre. I'd say it pushes more strongly toward mature, political, psychological and horror themes than adventure, but it can be mined for the look and feel of the era. And the design for the Sandman was fantastic.

No other projects online, but that just means I can focus on this one. ;)

Offline Alcide Nikopol

• Mad Scientist
Re: Dangerboy's Pulp Alley Leagues
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2019, 02:41:38 PM »
Sandman Mystery Theatre is a wonderfully twisted series.
A.Nik-

Offline Deserter

• Assistant
« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2019, 12:25:03 PM »
I love the cover from Thrilling Tales, and a not-Sandman appears on the next page too!

I pulled out my bag of Heroclix and got a couple of job lots in the post that looked promising! I'm going to have to "borrow" some of your ideas from the Carnie band!

How do you go about stripping the paint from them? That's always been really difficult for me!

Offline Deserter

• Assistant
« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2019, 11:06:58 AM »
Also, I'm also normally in the "not keen on clear bases" camp but yours look bloody brilliant!

Any plans for terrain/objective markers currently?

Offline Dangerboy

• Bookworm
« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2019, 01:33:13 AM »
How do you go about stripping the paint from them? That's always been really difficult for me!

Short answer: I live dangerously and use acetone.

Dipping a cotton swab (e.g. Q-tip) into some acetone and "wiping" the paint off the mini is how I do it nowadays.

HOWEVER, it does require some consideration before you use it. The fumes aren't good for you, so use it outside. You don't want it on your skin or in your eyes, so get some gloves and eye protection. I apologize if that comes off as lecturing, but the first time I used acetone on a heroclix I took a toothbrush to a damp mini and it spattered everywhere and came that close to landing in my eye. Provided you're careful though (and not an idiot like I was), acetone works very well on heroclix.

Caveat emptor: It can melt the details off of the older material from the early heroclix and horrorclix sets. Generally, the new stuff they use holds far less detail but is much more resistant. If you're worried about that, try using nail polish remover. It contains acetone as well and while it is much slower, it is generally safer and far more forgiving (see precautions above). I accidentally left a figure soaking in nail polish remover for hours and aside from being extremely rubbery (until it dried), it was fine.

Any plans for terrain/objective markers currently?

Yes, actually. But with the holiday/end of the year crunch, they've been put on hold for a while. I'll get back to them.

Offline Deserter

• Assistant
« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2019, 10:44:37 AM »
Ah, okay then! I already use acetone to strip ‘clix, but as you say, it’s living dangerously :) I did buy some nail varnish remover a while back (the acetone one, there are some non-acetone ones in the UK and they’re crap for our purposes) and the smell of it was worse than normal acetone!

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2020, 02:43:48 PM »
Great looking figures.  Really nice incorporation of Heroclix.

Offline Dangerboy

• Bookworm
« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2020, 01:12:59 AM »
Just a quick update now that I've sorted out the new laptop:

Great looking figures.  Really nice incorporation of Heroclix.

Thanks! I'm getting back to a few conversions I'd left half-finished, so I should have more ahead.

In other news, I was lucky enough to get my hands on one of the yet to be released Pulp Alley figures and got some paint on it:

Desperately needs better lighting, but she painted up nice.

Offline Deserter

• Assistant
« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2020, 04:23:58 PM »
Lovely work on the ape!

Offline Dangerboy

• Bookworm
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2021, 07:48:02 PM »
“Elizabeth, chère, I am afraid that I can only give you stories of this man. Rumors, nothing more.” Rene slid the photograph back across the table. The French journalist sat smoking beside a young, striking brunette.

“The mask makes identification impossible. There are many stories, however. He was a political prisoner, made into a monster. He was born disfigured, a giant from birth. He is not one man, but actually several acting under one alias. He was a legionnaire who discovered a strange elixir in a lost civilization.” Rene waved his cigarette in the air dramatically.

The younger correspondent leaned forward conspiratorially. “I heard he was Algerian, orphaned and raised on the streets. Mais, none of my sources could confirm this tale.”

“You must understand the one thing that is true about him, chère,” Rene continued. “This man is not like your American gangsters, content to fight over money. Over territory. Those men with him, do you really believe they are undisciplined Apaches? He is not some mere criminal."

The Frenchman paused to drag at his cigarette, exhaling with a sigh. “Bête Noir—he is a supercriminal.”

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2021, 12:16:05 AM »
An excellent new league.  I see one Pulp Figure Dangerous Dame.  What manufacturer are the other guys?
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Dangerboy

• Bookworm
« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2021, 04:34:57 AM »
Thanks!

The other minions are built from one sprue of Wargames Atlantic's Partisans, with American Marine arms for the grenade thrower. Bête Noir himself is a conversion from a heroclix Drax figure with head and hand swap.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2021, 07:41:00 PM »
The Partisans look useful for a few periods.  The headswap on Drax is so well done it totally fooled me.   lol
I will have to order the Partisans now.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 01:22:34 AM by syrinx0 »