Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:33:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691082
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Vagabonds Viking Village - Beehives Done  (Read 15571 times)

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
Re: Vagabonds Viking Village - Village Re-started Oct 20 - The Church - HELP
« Reply #120 on: October 10, 2020, 08:38:49 PM »
You'll need a mead brewing and storage area!  ;)

I have it on good authority that mead is like fermenting wine in that you stick the ingredients in a barrel and it comes out like nectar.

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #121 on: October 10, 2020, 08:40:08 PM »
Bee hives, lots of bee hives!!!

I do have bee hives :D

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #122 on: October 10, 2020, 08:47:58 PM »
I have dreams of building a tannery for my dark age settlement and or a dyers. Large semi underground vats filled with various liquids and frames of curing hides.

I probably won't get round to it for a long time so until then I might as well live it out vicariously through you.

I looked them up but could only find large semi industrial set ups. I need something small, I thought they just pis*ed in a bucket and dipped the leather in it. I wonder if you have any pictures of Danish or Norse tanneries?

By the way I don't think you should live vicariously through me, you could catch something nasty.

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #123 on: October 10, 2020, 08:56:53 PM »
Looking really good! One small tip you might try for foamcore corner joins - make one end with edges 3x the thickness of the board longer - then cut all but the outer card away on the inside. Lightly score/pencil scribe (allowing for 1 wall thickness) and you can then use the overlap as a tab to fold over and glue. I find it makes a firmer join. You can also use uhu or a n other clear glue for a quicker bond than PVA. If you are applying balsa/matchsticks as beams and adding render it won't show. I used the technique on these timber framed buildings and it worked well. For those awkward little areas I can also recommend using fine milliput as the render - applied with a nailfile or blunt scalpel...
Happy building your settlement is looking great!

Thanks for that advice, if I understand it correctly I can see how it would give a strong joint and also amuch neater one than a straight but joint.
I usually use a tacky pva glue that sets fairly quickly, much quicker than normal pva. It was a long time since Id used foamboard and I forgot to dovetail the pins to pull the butt joints together.

You made a really nice job of the houses, did you use wood or card for the shingles on yhe roof? It looks effective.

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #124 on: October 10, 2020, 09:04:24 PM »
Paint the daub a darker colour then dry brush white into the centre of each panel leaving the darker colour showing around the edges

for example

Gamer Mac the painting on the lefthand building looks very effective. I've just done a base coat so far and I'm away from home for a few days before I can get back to it. What is quite apparent is that it's quite a large area of colour because the Church walls are relatively high compared to the roof and so the daub colour needs breaking up to make it look ok.
I like what you've done with it although I think the right hand building might look a bit white the left one might do the trick.
Thanks

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #125 on: October 10, 2020, 09:05:27 PM »
For the church have you looked at St Teilo's medieval church in St Fagan's (Welsh museum of historic buildings).

https://museum.wales/stfagans/buildings/st_teilos_church/

I think they have a tannery too, but it's a Victorian one.

For Viking buildings look to Avaldsnes in Norway:

https://avaldsnes.info/en/vikinggard/
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #126 on: October 10, 2020, 09:12:06 PM »
Yes, well said.

Michi - blast you :o that dun colour is very much what I had in mind when I thought of yellow ochre. I thought about it and decided it might be too standout, too garish, so I passed on it. Now I have seen yours I'm going to have to think again.
Blast o_o everytime I think I know what I want to do something changes my mind. lol

By the way what did you use for the roof line. I've seen loads of reconstructions and quite a few had a ridge of turf or something like it.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 09:14:32 PM by Vagabond »

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #127 on: October 10, 2020, 09:18:10 PM »
For the church have you looked at St Teilo's medieval church in St Fagan's (Welsh museum of historic buildings).

https://museum.wales/stfagans/buildings/st_teilos_church/

I think they have a tannery too, but it's a Victorian one.

For Viking buildings look to Avaldsnes in Norway:

https://avaldsnes.info/en/vikinggard/

Thanks for the link, I'm on limited wifi at the moment but I'll follow up on this when I get home in a few days time if I can'tdo it sooner, but I appreciate you taking the time to give me the link.
Cheers

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #128 on: October 10, 2020, 09:35:47 PM »
Thanks for the link, I'm on limited wifi at the moment but I'll follow up on this when I get home in a few days time if I can'tdo it sooner, but I appreciate you taking the time to give me the link.
Cheers

Battery just about to die. Ive been to the Welsh museum, it's brilliant, I don't remember the church but the paintings are just what I'm after,  will check my photos, i might have them.

Thanks again

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #129 on: October 18, 2020, 04:06:50 PM »
Just a quick update, the Church is finished, it's not quite as stand out as I originally hoped but it blends in better with the rest of the buildings, so you win some you lose some.

Not very good photos I'm afraid, they are washed out quite badly but it hides my mistakes. The last photo is just a comparison to my existing buildings.

Next thing on the agenda are hay stacks or hay ricks. I'm intending making some DAS cones with a barbeque stick inserted in it and then covering them with coconut fibres, something like this.

These are just with the coconut fibres in a pile. I'm not sure what glue to use to hold them to the cone, I have a spray contact adhesive that I thought I might try but it's hellish messy, does anyone have a better thought?

This is from West Stow in East Anglia and is the style of thing I'm aiming for.

I did think of just using bits of foam board for the underlying cone but I believe if I use contact adhesive that might melt the foam although It won't be visible and will be cheaper than DAS.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 04:09:55 PM by Vagabond »

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Vagabonds Viking Village - The Church is finished
« Reply #130 on: October 18, 2020, 05:14:13 PM »
Come on.....! The church is looking great; you should be very proud of that. Good photos too (let’s have less of this self-denigration - it’s not appropriate here and anyway, it makes you go blind).

Regarding the hayricks, what’s wrong with using pva to glue them? If you cover the cone in it, slap on the fibre and then cover the lot in a very thin pva wash, wouldn’t that do it?

Doug

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #131 on: October 18, 2020, 05:23:33 PM »
I have found in the past that hot glue works well for the first build of the hay pile, and then I use pva glue get the finer layers of the outside on, usually made with bits left over cut small.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #132 on: October 18, 2020, 05:28:41 PM »
I have found in the past that hot glue works well for the first build of the hay pile, and then I use pva glue get the finer layers of the outside on, usually made with bits left over cut small.

I second that, I was ready to propose something similar.
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #133 on: October 18, 2020, 05:57:36 PM »
Church looks grand  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #134 on: October 18, 2020, 06:08:03 PM »

These are just with the coconut fibres in a pile. I'm not sure what glue to use to hold them to the cone, I have a spray contact adhesive that I thought I might try but it's hellish messy, does anyone have a better thought?

I've done the same with the coconut fibres - just pour in some PVA thinned with water (2 parts PVA to 1 part Water) and mix it round till it starts to clump, you can then form the shape you want with your hands and leave it to dry.  Then just wash your hands with soapy water.  Easy.
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com