Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:44:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691081
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Vagabonds Viking Village - Beehives Done  (Read 15570 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: Vagabonds Viking Village - Bee Hives - Grubehus - Finished! Forge Almost
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2017, 08:10:27 PM »

One thing I did find with all the builds was that because I PVA glued sand to the interior floors and then painted it after a couple of days and there is some distortion, they all have a slight bow to the base, obviously more pronounced on the bigger builds - the bases are all 5mm foamboard.

This is slightly worse on the fields they are 1/8" (3mm) hardboard and, even though with them I painted glue on the bottom of the base to counteract this and used a weight to straighten it. When built the base was flat but later it bowed.

It's not significant but just a bit annoying, maybe I need to get some MDF but I would be suprised if coated with PVA that didn't distort a little, maybe a different glue? Or don't glue and sand the interiors.

I have found that thinning the PVA as little as possible, and gluing the sand on in patches and not in one go, diminishes warping.

These are in Ribe Denmark and if you can get there - go to the Viking fair I think it was in May when I went 2015 - it is brilliant if you have the slightest interest in history from that period.

Highly recommended - most often the week up to and ending with the first weekend of May, but this year the last week of April:
http://www.ribevikingecenter.dk/en/explore/viking-market.aspx
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2017, 08:27:20 PM »
hi Argonor

i'll try this with the PVA next time. the problem is I'm so impatient that it needs to be done NOW. I was on a bit of a deadline as I needed to clear the desk so i could do my Accounts and Tax Returns :-[ :-[

it's a funny thing because when I did the beehives I was thinking of you - i remember you refering to drinking mead as you painted, something I've never tried and wondering how I could do a still or mead producing thingy (what do you call it) and what it might look like.

It seemed a good idea for a plot point or reason for a raid, -  come on lads lets go pinch Argonors mead producing plant and his stock of mead. :D :D Will they carry it off or get legless and will they make it back to the ship with wobbly legs and will the local theign Argonor arrive in time to catch them.

Sounds like a good game. ;)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2017, 09:06:06 PM »
hi Argonor

i'll try this with the PVA next time. the problem is I'm so impatient that it needs to be done NOW. I was on a bit of a deadline as I needed to clear the desk so i could do my Accounts and Tax Returns :-[ :-[

it's a funny thing because when I did the beehives I was thinking of you - i remember you refering to drinking mead as you painted, something I've never tried and wondering how I could do a still or mead producing thingy (what do you call it) and what it might look like.

It seemed a good idea for a plot point or reason for a raid, -  come on lads lets go pinch Argonors mead producing plant and his stock of mead. :D :D Will they carry it off or get legless and will they make it back to the ship with wobbly legs and will the local theign Argonor arrive in time to catch them.

Sounds like a good game. ;)

I think mead would probably have been fermented in a large wooden tub or vat (or even a barrel) in the corner of your dwelling (no still, as mead is actually just a wine, substituting honey and water for grape juice) - but as far as I know, bees were not really kept in Denmark (and the other Scandinavian lands) until the Middle Ages, because of rather low middle temperatures (which may also explain why so many Vikings settled in Britain, Normandy, and Eastern Europe, if they had problems with failing crops, and the likes, at home), which made mead such a prized commodity/loot, as 1) the raw material was not easily obtained, and 2) the long fermenting time (my mead ferments between 3 and 6 months, depending on surrounding temperature, probably light, and other factors I have no idea about  lol ).

Raiding the bee-keeper's homestead for mead is an obvious choice for a scenario - but I should probably warn you, that this brewer has swords, shield, mail tunic, and a Gjermundbu-helmet (and a well-sized beard to show his status as an old warrior)  ;)

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
Re: Vagabonds Viking Village - Village Finished for now
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2017, 04:10:51 PM »
I just thought I would post up a couple of pics of the village, and say thank you to everyone who gave me much needed advice and or encouragement.

Having got everything out I decided to run with the Scenario "Stealing Argonors Mead" and will post the game on the Medieval board later today.

Take care

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2017, 04:14:28 PM »
Outstanding.

Offline Khadrin Stonetooth

• Scientist
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2017, 04:19:24 PM »
Impressive village, really great stuff here! Congrats !

Offline Za Zjurman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2017, 04:45:20 PM »
Wow, that is a very nice village. Well done. Cheers, Za

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2017, 07:31:50 PM »
Wonderfully busy scene!  :-*

Guess I should get on with my Hersír's hall and pile of shit. Am a bit bogged down with my two living impaired units for GoB atm, though, need to get them done, first...

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2017, 07:52:43 PM »
Wow! That came together nicely  :-* :-* :-* Great work.
LB
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2017, 08:00:47 PM »
Just caught up. Excellent set up - full of life. Well done   8) :-*
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2017, 08:48:28 PM »
WOW great setup :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
Looking forward to the game report

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2017, 11:25:00 PM »
Fantastic looking game table. The terrain and figures look stunning. Great looking stuff. I imagine that they will get their fair share of use in many games. Thanks for sharing.
Regards,
Hitman
 8)
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2017, 12:52:32 AM »
That is a fantastic village! Very, very nice!

The log piles, dungheaps, and such give it a much more lived-in feel rather than just a collection of buildings.

If/when I get back into actively adding to my Russian Civil War scenery and associated hamlet I'll be getting inspiration for new bits from this thread.

Offline Supercollider

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2017, 03:40:33 AM »
Fantastic result - that looks amazing :)

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2017, 08:34:50 AM »
great village
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com