Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:46:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Vagabonds Viking Village - Beehives Done  (Read 15574 times)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Re: Vagabonds Viking Village - Village Finished for now
« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2017, 08:39:39 AM »
I had missed this - it's perfect. 8) 8) 8)

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #76 on: January 13, 2017, 05:34:03 PM »
Hi Guys - Thanks for your kind comments - I have much appreciated the feed back as I've progresses with this.

Cheers

Offline sleep when Im lead

• Bookworm
    • http://sleepwhenimlead.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #77 on: January 13, 2017, 06:22:09 PM »
How have I missed this thread? Really nice work

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2018, 07:42:28 PM »
I just thought I would post up a couple of pics of the village, and say thank you to everyone who gave me much needed advice and or encouragement.

OMG, I've totally missed this!  :o :o :o :

AWESOME!!!  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Where's the Revenants horde that is going to destroy it? And the Shieldmaidens to defend it?  ;)

"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2018, 06:17:37 AM »
Yes, very appealing.  Me and a few chaps will be a long for a raid - er - visit in a bit.  Meanwhile, you've not enough pigs, sir.  Please get a boar with a sow and get to multiplying!   ;D

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2018, 09:47:00 AM »
Blimey, I seem to have missed this too.
How slack of me.
 ::)

Well, having found it now, all I can say is: AMAZING!
That really has come out a treat.
Great work, sir.
 :-* :-*

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2018, 01:10:35 PM »
I have only just found this thread, no idea how I missed this one. Vagabond, you have done a marvellous job here. Every individual part looks just right but you really have an eye as to how to set up a board. All the little extras bring it to life. Super job!

:-*   :-*   :-*   :-*   :-*   :-*   :-*

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2018, 10:00:03 PM »
I have just gone back through the thread and I have to congratulate you on bringing the project to a successful conclusion.  It will certainly give me some inspiration if I ever get my dark ages project off the ground.  Well done.  :-* :-*

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2018, 10:55:08 AM »

Yep, lots of very nice ideas to be shamelessness stolen used as inspiration there!  :D

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2018, 11:49:32 AM »
Just discovered your thread, you are doing a great job, I'll follow it with great interest! Cheers!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #85 on: February 05, 2018, 03:12:01 PM »
It's funny this thread has been resurrected just now because I have only been thinking about it over the past week or so. I've made a start on copying Gamer Macs copy of someone else's bee hives and I am seriously thinking about making a church.

Since posting this I started a blog, about a month ago and have extracted the relevant bits from this thread and posted it there today    https://vagabondswargamingblog.blogspot.co.uk/2018/02/vagabondy-vagabonds-viking-village.html

There is nothing new in the blog post that isn't here, it's just a lot more concise. The blog is more about my games, some have been on here and some new.

Dino - thanks for the emoticons :o always appreciated.
Paul - your mid term memory must be as bad as mine, you contributed a lot to the thread although maybe missed the end  ;)
Mad Lord - this was the precursor to the Argonor's Bees Game, but you probably guessed that. :D
Hu Rhu - finished by me but inspired by all who commented.
Din - If I do finish a church I will put it here but I think the village is pretty much done for me.

Cheers

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #86 on: February 05, 2018, 06:20:52 PM »

Dino - thanks for the emoticons :o always appreciated.

lol lol lol lol lol

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #87 on: February 06, 2018, 08:18:46 PM »
That's an extremely nice set up. Nice work.

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
Re: Vagabonds Viking Village - Village Re-started Oct 20 - The Church
« Reply #88 on: October 04, 2020, 11:06:06 PM »
On 5th Feb 2018 I said that I was thinking about making a church, it's taken little longer than I thought but I've actually started on the build now, so rather than start a new thread I decided to add it to my old but still existing thread I hope no one minds the Threadmancy.

A few days ago I was in East Anglia and visited West Stow which is a Saxon site that has been excavated but more importantly they have been conducting archaeological experiments, re-building Saxon houses and seeing what techniques worked and what didn't. This has been going on for about 25 years and they have had some successes and some failures, i.e. the buildings fell down because they were unstable.

Anyway this fired me up to re-start work on my Viking Village called surprisingly Vagabondy. I wanted a Saxon church but a wooden one with a thatched roof, they burn so much better than stone ones. The down side is that there is almost no evidence that I could find relating to wooden churches and so I drew inspiration from the few stone ones that still exist.

This is a rough idea of how I wanted it to look, I later decided that the 2 wings could be added later, if at all.

I'm going to be working in Foamboard the same as the rest of the village and so this is the initial set of cut pieces. All carefully measured so that they don't quite fit together.

This is it assembled, and I've gone for the traditional Saxon small triangular topped windows. I've set them high partly because at that time I was still intending doing the 2 wings and also because I wanted a small footprint but with an imposing building and I think they look cool.

One of the reasons for my original thread was to discover how to build cheap but serviceable buildings and pick the brains of anyone who cared to offer advice and to share my triumphs and tragedies. In this case a tragedy, I forgot to push the pins in at an angle to securely hold the walls in place and this one came apart. Note now the excess of glue and the fact that the red and green pins are pushed in forming a dovetail to pull it into place.

The basic shell in place.

I'm going to build this as a timber frame Church with mainly daube and wattle infill. I was a little surprised with the reconstructions at West Stow as only one building was daube and wattle all the rest have timber plank walls, something I've not seen much of at other reconstruction sites I've visited although the big hall at Trelleborg in Denmark is timber planked.

So I might include some timber planking to give a bit of visual interest and I'm thinking that if I build 2 roofs, one thatch and one tile or slate or stone that might extend the time period I can use it, although I'm not sure about the accuracy of that.

Ok the timber framing has started and it's a mix of lollypop sticks and fire lighter spills, unless I forget, these are individually distressed before applying, I use the teeth of a small saw and a sharp knife. If you look carefully you might see a small amount of blood adding to the authenticity of the building.
Ivor is having a look around and also to provide some idea of scale.

Ivor is wondering how he will enter the magnificent edifice and here we have the tears part of the Blood Sweat and Tears. If you remember the original drawing then you will realise that this end of the building should have the main doors. The architect and the builder had a major falling out about now.

At this point I had no idea how I was going to frame the small pointy windows, but I was tired and had had enough. The discovery that I was going to have to pull off some of the timber framing was the final straw.

More work tomorrow.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Vagabonds Viking Village - Village Re-started Oct 20 - The Church
« Reply #89 on: October 05, 2020, 12:42:18 AM »
Looks promising and it’s good to see you carry on with the project  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/