Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:25:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690835
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [Kickstarter] Wyrd Games: The Other Side  (Read 1704 times)

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
[Kickstarter] Wyrd Games: The Other Side
« on: December 07, 2016, 10:47:27 AM »
Wyrd Games' mass battle game The Other Side is boldly going where no Kickstarter has gone before... Well, maybe that's taking the acronym and running with it a bit too far but all the same, it's going not only on days just before Xmas but also against the juggernaut that is Kingdom Death:
https://www.wyrd-games.net/the-other-side/

Not extra amounts of pre-launch info about it yet but they've put up a vid and also screencaps of the renders shown on it on their official TOS forum:
http://themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/forum/383-tos-allegiances/

The designs seem by and large a bit less adventurous than in Malifaux, one might assume by design in order to cater to a wider audience (and possibly to provide for easier pre-assembly as well), but at the risk of causing "yet another X" effect of course. Depending on how they cater it, I might be in for a few models but probably won't be "needing" a whole starter set.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: [Kickstarter] Wyrd Games: The Other Side
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 10:57:42 PM »
Looked at that the other day but I haven't gone to the eye-straining effort of trying to read as much of the sample cards as possible.  It sounds okay, although I'm a little surprised at how far it distances itself from the existing Malifaux factions.  Would have thought we'd see Guild and Ten Thunders for sure, and a more general Neverborn invader force instead of a couple of individual national armies and the Silurids' big kinfolk.  The doomsday/not-Mythos cult force seems like a good fit, though.

Cautiously interested, and looking forward to seeing more of the model range.  120mm base giants are cool enough in the Privateer games, seeing Wyrd's take on the idea should be something.

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 12:18:11 PM »
I like the idea but feel they've hamstrung themselves on the timing. Before Christmas AND Kingdom Death running ? No one will have any cash.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 12:32:59 PM »
I note that the models will come both pre-assembled and be multibased.

Not sure I'm bothered by a 32mm multibased mass-combat game, and I don't really like the implications of pre-assembled models either.  :?

Still, I've enjoyed Wyrd's offerings before, so I'm willing to keep an open mind and see what happens...

I agreed that it's a bad time to launch though.

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 02:05:44 PM »
I note that the models will come both pre-assembled and be multibased.
Not at all sure about how their
movement bases that allow small groups of models - known as Fireteams - to act independently during the game
are supposed to work. The rules might be set out in a way that it's not obligatory to use them, given suitable level of abstraction at Fireteam level.

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 06:32:16 AM »
Running and funded > 2x. Looks like they had justified faith in their produce 8)
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1334239018/the-other-side-9

The starter boxes are pretty aggressively priced, compared to add-ons. The problem is that I don't really know what I would do with the rulebook or any of the full starter sets. Also, not all minis shown prior to KS are available in any form yet. Have to think about this for a bit. There's plenty of time since the project is set to run for another 36 days -- which will also mean that there'll likely be a significant mid-project lull. Have to see what Wyrd does if or when it hits.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 08:15:46 AM »
Well done Wyrd!

I have to say that regardless of my own misgivings on another mass-battle game at "25-35mm scale", I am certain that Wyrd will put out a very playable and fun game with nice minis - they have never disappointed me on those points before. :)

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 08:29:12 AM »
Just saw the Kickstarter...no interest here. I love Malifaux, but this does nothing for me in terms of style and size. The bases look silly IMO, with all kinds of bases going on. We have lipped bases, fireteam bases, straight edge bases...it looks a bit sloppy. The factions also don't really stand out as cool as Malifaux's factions. As a game it looks to be aiming at Warmachine as a game type, with about the same number of miniatures needed, having Titans and squad sizes.
But it's Wyrd...so it's bound to be a very good game. Just not my game :). Saves me money for other games lol
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 09:24:09 AM »
It's the PVC pre-assembled 28mm miniatures that are the first big turn-off for me, the second being that as a mass-combat game, I will undoubtedly need a fair few of the buggers!  :?

I'm tempted to get the rulebook anyway though... At lest I can admire the game rules and enjoy the fluff that way. :)

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 09:47:32 AM »
No no no...PVC is the way of the future man! At least, if you're going by the latest Kickstarter trends... ;)

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2016, 03:44:37 PM »
I'm not really a fan of most of 'Steampunk' stuff.  But there are some fantastic looking models in there!

I hope they do well.  I just have too many directions I'm being pulled, miniatures wise.