Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:01:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Suggestions for light rules Scifi combat?  (Read 3043 times)

Offline Bloodaxe

• Scientist
Suggestions for light rules Scifi combat?
« on: December 03, 2016, 05:11:22 PM »
Im looking for suggestions on a light rules system for SciFi combat. Skirmish, squads, maybe 20 or so to a side.  I got some of the Jade Throne Alien squads and want to play an Alien Legion game.  Maybe against the Harkilons (assault crabs) or Garns.  These are 15mm.

Offline Bloodaxe

• Scientist
Re: Suggestions for light rules Scifi combat?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 05:20:39 PM »
I have 4 squads of 5 troopers each, each squad has a heavy weapon attached. One Captain .(a snake-like alien).  Im not sure on the enemies yet.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 05:24:03 PM by Bloodaxe »

Offline gary42

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 06:16:07 PM »
Pulp Alley is a no-brainer for this sort of thing!
"They seek him here, they seek him... There he is!"

Offline Bloodaxe

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 07:13:00 PM »

Ok thanks. I dont really have any knowledge of any small scale rules sets, so looking for suggestions. I'll check it out.

This?
http://store.pulpalley.com/product-p/1000.htm
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 07:15:22 PM by Bloodaxe »

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 07:23:34 PM »
Stargrunt from Ground Zero Games, Tomorrow's War from Ambush Alley, GRUNTZ from...I can never remember who publishes GRUNTZ.   :)

Or if you want something with a bit more detail and a touch of roleplaying-skirmish feel, there's Void Pirates or Blasters & Bulkheads from Four Color Figs.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 07:26:06 PM by Hobby Services »

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 07:28:23 PM »

Is it though? Don't get me wrong, I think PA is the brilliant, but it depends if you want an adventure or a a straight military confrontation in my opinion. Rules light could be a bit relative, but the lightest I can think of would be FUBAR with the Sci fi option. And it's free.

Next step up might be one of the sets available from Nordic Weasel available on Wargames Vault (there is such a variety I hesitate to suggest which one...). I would suggest that Stargrunt/Fast & Dirty/Tomorrow's War are all a step up from there. I am not sure if I would put Gruntz at this level of complexity or a bit lower. I have heard it said TW is a bit intimidating.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 07:34:49 PM by Commander Roj »

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 07:29:57 PM »
Stargrunt from Ground Zero Games, Tomorrow's War from Ambush Alley, GRUNTZ from...I can never remember who publishes GRUNTZ.   :)

Or if you want something with a bit more detail and a touch of roleplaying-skirmish feel, there's Void Pirates or Blasters & Bulkheads from Four Color Figs.

Robin Fitton "Rottenlead" produced Gruntz. I can't recall if it's Rottenlead Publishing or not.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 07:35:11 PM by Commander Roj »

Offline Bloodaxe

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 09:22:55 PM »
I'm thinking 20-25 models to a side. 20 troopers, 4 heavy weapons, 1 or 2 leader types.
I have 4 squads of 5 ( 4 troopers, 1 heavy)
1 Captain and a Sgt.
The other side I have not decided on models.
If that helps....

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2016, 09:31:19 PM »
I would second Void Pirates or Blasters and Bulkheads.  Both are very fun and light.

Offline gary42

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2016, 09:34:47 PM »
Those are the Pulp Alley rules,yep!  I think I recall Dave saying that if you want to do a straight military engagement you can just drop the plot points though I would tend to keep one or same as they make great game objectives and allow for a little more strategy as opposed to straight up fight.  We've played Rat Patrol with it and it was great.  Tanks, Jeeps etc..

Free rules here...
http://store.pulpalley.com/product-p/f100.htm

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2016, 09:48:24 PM »
Pulp Alley wouldn't work for what you want, as it sounds you're more wanting platoon level skirmishes, whereas PA offers adventures with a couple of handfuls of troops. (I do wish people would actually answer the question rather what they think is the question)

Fast and Dirty would work. Clash on the Fringe might, I've not played t personally, but it seems popular at the moment for this sort of game. Blasters and Bulkheads would work too and is rules light. There's also Agis' Victory Decision - Future combat, perhaps not so rules light, but solid. I dare say Wh40k Rogue Trader would work fine enough too if you'd like some old school style. GRUNTZ is another popular option, though I'm not a fan (its basically a re-write of Warmahordes - ruling 2D6 for every shot - no thanks!).

If you were going a step up (i.e. with a larger/reinforced platoon structure) then I'd also consider Stargrunt, Tomorrow's War or Fireteam Andromeda.

If you went a step down (i.e. a squad based game) then Pulp Alley or AE Bounty are what I'd choose.

Hope that gives some idea of whats around.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 09:58:11 PM by dijit »

Offline gary42

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2016, 10:02:44 PM »
Pulp Alley wouldn't work for what you want, as it sounds you're more wanting platoon level skirmishes, whereas PA offers adventures with a couple of handfuls of troops. (I do wish people would actually answer the question rather what they think is the question)

Sorry for putting my opinion out there idjit.  I've used the ruleset several times for LRDG type platoon sized games.  Each one has come to extremely satisfying conclusions.  Pulp Leagues even has sci-fi genre suggestions. That last sentence above in brackets really feels quite rude to me. 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 10:12:39 PM by gary42 »

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2016, 05:26:27 AM »
Sorry for putting my opinion out there idjit.  I've used the ruleset several times for LRDG type platoon sized games.  Each one has come to extremely satisfying conclusions.  Pulp Leagues even has sci-fi genre suggestions. That last sentence above in brackets really feels quite rude to me. 
I apolegise if you feel insulted. However, I will say that Pulp Alley isnt really designed for the types of games he was asking for. Yes, you might be able to shoe horn and mod the game to fit, but then its not really a 'no brainer' for this sort of game.

Anyway weve derailed this topic enough now.

Offline gary42

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2016, 06:40:02 AM »
We use multiple leagues.  As in Fire teams or squads.  Any size can be used.  Works perfect.  No shoe horning.  I don't own the Pulp Alley company but simply like it and have found it works well for most uses except big brigade stuff.  Though in all honesty I've never tried it for that and I would hate to give an opinion on something I haven't tried yet.  I have however used it with no adjustments for precisely what you're looking to do.  The basic rules are free. 

Cheers

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2016, 09:56:11 AM »
I don't own these, but FiveCore company commander and "Company commander in spaaace" may be worth a look

Wargame Vault links:

company command
supplement