Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 08:05:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: [Commercial] Primitive animal hide tents from Forge of Ice  (Read 6956 times)

Offline Alxbates

• Mad Scientist
    • Forge of Ice on Faceboook!
[Commercial] Primitive animal hide tents from Forge of Ice
« on: December 10, 2016, 12:24:29 PM »
Heya folks!

These tents were some of the first things that I ever had cast up.  Cacique Caribe sculpted them and posted the pictures to Theminiaturespage.com, and they were a big hit.

People encouraged him to have them cast in resin, and a light bulb went on over my head.  I had already decided to start my own miniatures venture, and after seeing a dozen people tell him to cast them up, I thought, "waitaminute!  *I'LL* cast them up!"  So, I asked Cacique Caribe if he was interested in selling me the greens, he was amenable to the idea, and away we went!

I had fifty of each made up - I sold them for $8.50 each, or $30 for the set of four. (I have since then had to raise the price)

I was very happy with the quality of castings, but, it took me years to sell all of them.  

It was mostly my fault they sold so slowly - I still don't have much of a web presence (mainly Facebook and here!), but back then it was almost nonexistent, I was only on TMP and the old Excelsior forum.  

I've been content to leave them indefinitely out of stock.  The caster still has the molds, I can have more made pretty much whenever I want... but it's not cheap.

I need to sell about 25 sets to break even on having more made.  Lately I've gotten a handful of inquiries about them, but, in my experience, only half of the inquiries like that lead to sales.  There are some cool new prehistorics on the market that weren't out when I first had these made, though.  The Lucid Eye Neanderthals and apes, the Eureka Denisovans, a few new rules sets, etc...

SO - I'm making this post to test the waters.  Would there be any interest in these if I were to re-release them?  If I can get interest in 15-20 sets (and if I can keep the prices the same as they were in 2008 - $8.50 per tent, or $30 for the set of four), I'll have another batch made.

**EDIT** - Unfortunately, costs have gone up since I had the first batch made almost ten years ago...  The tents are now $10 each, or $36 for the set of four.

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on the subject.

-Alex Bates
-Forge of Ice
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 03:13:12 AM by Alxbates »

Offline Alxbates

• Mad Scientist
Re: Primitive animal hide tents from Forge of Ice
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 01:03:52 PM »
If you want to see more pictures - as I mentioned, my main web presence is on Facebook:

Facebook.com/Forgeofice

But if you're not on the Book of Faces, I do maintain a thread here in the pulp forum - my line has a "Lost World" theme (hence Pulp forum placement), but lots of my stuff works equally well (in my opinion) in prehistoric, ancient, and even Sword and Sorcery settings:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=64311.0

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 02:11:32 PM »
As long as it is after Christmas, I'm in for 2 sets. And one snake headed idol, please. ;)

Offline Alxbates

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 07:53:57 PM »
As long as it is after Christmas, I'm in for 2 sets. And one snake headed idol, please. ;)

Oh yeah, it'll be after Christmas for sure.  Likely February at the earliest.

But I'll put you down for two!  The Doom Serpent idols should be available before then, though - I might have those in hand in a week or ten days.

-Alex

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 08:15:50 PM »
 They are great pieces Alex.I still have my set in the display case all painted up too.Will try to get some pictures of them with some painted figures Tomorrow.

Offline mikeygees

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 04:35:45 PM »
Put me on the list...

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 07:55:01 PM »
Very interesting, but for us here in old europe it is a question of Post and Package. So how much will it be?
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 08:14:39 PM »
If we are talking Feb or March, I would be interested as well in at least 1 set  ;)
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2016, 08:24:18 PM »
I'll definitely buy a set Alex. Hopefully you'll get enough interest to make it worth your while  :)

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2016, 08:37:49 PM »
I'd buy a set, Alex. I think I might gave got your last ones...IIRC, one might have been sold out already.

Howard

Offline Timotl

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2016, 08:45:43 PM »
I'd be in for a set...

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2016, 11:07:07 PM »
Stick me down for one set for sure and depending on cash flow I'll hope for two.

Any chance of a mix and match or is it one of each?

Do you want cash (PayPal) up front?

Offline Alxbates

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2016, 07:03:06 AM »
Very interesting, but for us here in old europe it is a question of Post and Package. So how much will it be?

Yeah.  Sadly, as I'm in central Alaska, P&P to Europe is not cheap.  In the past it's been around $15 for one set, and I doubt prices have gone down since then. 

But, I'll take a set to the Post Office and check this week so I can get an exact number to you.

Offline Alxbates

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2016, 07:05:55 AM »
Stick me down for one set for sure and depending on cash flow I'll hope for two.

Any chance of a mix and match or is it one of each?

Do you want cash (PayPal) up front?

You can mix and match as many as you want.  If you buy four, you'll get the 'set' discount.

I don't need anyone to pay up front, I'm just gauging interest.

Although if you *really* want to buy a set or two up front, I'm OK with that, I just can't give you an exact shipping date as I haven't ordered the castings yet.  So far I've gotten less than 10 nibbles on the idea, and I really need closer to 20 to break even on them.

Maybe once I call the caster I'll do a pre-order thing for them... hmmm...  I'll do that later today!

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2016, 07:13:36 AM »
 People who are into Frostgrave might like them for the Barbarians.