Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:25:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686613
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 762
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rogue One Discussion !!!SPOILERS!!!  (Read 22634 times)

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
Re: Rogue One Discussion !!!SPOILERS!!!
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2016, 01:01:53 PM »
I mostly agree with you all,  the dark and dirty of war actions, whichever the side, the sw rithm in the battles, jeddha and its folks....but i missed lots of scenes that appears in the ads.many of them dissapeared of the final cut??!

Yeah, the executives at Disney didn't like the first cut of the movie and they had to re-shoot most of it. That's why the first teaser is full of scenes that don't appear on the final cut:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wji-BZ0oCwg

Offline nils

• Librarian
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2016, 03:04:54 PM »
I love that movie
the end !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!never gused that end
my boy and myself wher blasted!
reight after the film we wanted to look episod 4
all in all it was a more gownup starwars,all dirty and bad weather

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2016, 03:23:09 PM »
I loved it, my wife loved it too!
Happy! :)

What a great movie, OK without the other movies it can't stand but as a Ep. IV prequel it is a BLAST!

A nice turn to to a darker SW universe, no more always noble Rebels.
I also think they a great job in small details like the 70s haircuts and mustaches.
And the fat X-Wing Pilot always dies...
;)
We also loved the short R2D2, C3PO, Leia and Vader scenes!
Have to watch Ep IV soon again.
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - http://www.adpublishing.de

Offline huesped

• Mad Scientist
  • "-El Emperador no es tan magnánimo como yo"
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2016, 03:41:35 PM »
Yeah, the executives at Disney didn't like the first cut of the movie and they had to re-shoot most of it. That's why the first teaser is full of scenes that don't appear on the final cut:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wji-BZ0oCwg

yeah predatorp, but i meant parts from the speech of Saw Gerrera,  some scenes of the At-At's blowing rebels, or the alien commando shooting a heavy repeating blaster on the door of a U-wing? and laughing sadisticly.  ;D ;D ;D i LOVED that detail, sadly lost , among others! :?

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2016, 05:05:22 PM »
yeah predatorp, but i meant parts from the speech of Saw Gerrera,  some scenes of the At-At's blowing rebels, or the alien commando shooting a heavy repeating blaster on the door of a U-wing? and laughing sadisticly.  ;D ;D ;D i LOVED that detail, sadly lost , among others! :?

That last scene is in the movie ;) That's when he blasts away the leg of the AT.

Going to see it again this Monday  :D

Offline Mr Tough Guy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2016, 07:31:52 PM »
Good point about R2 and 3PO.
I thought their appearance on Yavin was a bit too levered in and added nothing.
Now, if we'd seen them on the Tantive IV at the end I would've been perfectly happy with that and it would have made sense.
So I've no problem with the two of them popping into the film, I just thought it was done at the wrong point.

They put in a few member berries moments and not all of them worked as well as others
I didn't mind R2 and 3PO's appearance at Yavin 4 that much, made more sense then Ponda Baba and Dr E showing up at Jedha, they had to be pretty lucky and left the place just after their cameo  ::)
Loved the inclusion of Gold and Red Leader though

But overall I loved it, saw it twice on Wednesday and once again yesterday, will probably see it at least once more next week  :D

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2016, 09:27:23 PM »
I liked the film, but I'm sure I would have liked the original version even better. The weak point of the Deathstar being a result of sabotage was a good idea, but the whole plot line of the Erso family felt weak, boring and somewhat predictable.
Aside from that I really enjoyed the movie. The battles were great, both in space and on the ground. The ramming action was the best part :)

Bear Pirates Go To Hell!

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2016, 10:48:51 PM »
Well that was pretty good, lots to like, though my main bone of contention was the inclusion of planet names, this isn't Guardians of the Galaxy, just do what all previous 7 films have done, say the name of the place your going to in dialogue!

The Mon Calamari admiral was a bit to CGI for my tastes, would have prefered a guy in a mask like ROTJ.

Nice to see Bail Organa again.

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2016, 12:23:25 AM »
Took my dad to see it today, nearly 40 years since he took me to see A New Hope. Great film, much better than The Force Awakens. Amazing ending. All ties in so well. Cannot understand though where all the Bothans that died to bring the information where?

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2016, 12:54:46 AM »
The vader scene at the end really ade him terrifying again! A single scene pretty much undid all of the damage done by the prequels.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2016, 01:57:48 AM »
The vader scene at the end really ade him terrifying again! A single scene pretty much undid all of the damage done by the prequels.

Yeah and by those kiddie books like "Vader's Little Princess" and such. The comics have already tried doing the same, specially in the book "Vader Down" (that happens just after the "A New Hope" movie), with scenes like this:

Offline Bloodaxe

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2016, 06:36:51 AM »
MUCH better than Force Awakens....MUCH MUCH BETTER!   CGI was meh.....its getting better but not there yet. Vader scene was cool. Very cool.

Offline Rhelyk

• Librarian
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2016, 08:02:36 AM »
IT. WAS. SO. GOOD!

It was everything I wanted Force Awakens to be. I'll need to give it some time to digest and another few viewing, but it's quite possibly my favorite Star Wars film, possibly over Empire! I didn't mind the ocasionally awkward CGI (something was definitely off about Leia) or the changes from the teaser trailer. In fact, thanks GOD they removed the "I'm a rebel. I rebel" line from the final, + 20 stars just for that atrocity gone! And OH MY LORD, K-2S0! "Did you even KNOW that wasn't ME?!" Best line ever, I absolutely lost it at that.

Most importantly, it was fun. The plot points made sense, they lead logically into each other without being distractingly obvious, and it was FUN! It was dark and everyone died of course, but I'm actually glad they had the balls to do that and not set it up for a sequel. Everyone died for a purpose, none of it felt wasted, everybody went out like a champion. SATISFYING character deaths, I love that in movies. Nothing kills a story for me like characters miraculously surviving just to make another movie/episode. I don't revel in their deaths or suffering, but it absolutely raises the stakes when nobody is safe and everybody could buy the farm, but they did it with style and they did it with meaning and they did it with great respect to making it fit in the universe we all love so much. Absolutely solid, absolutely A+++

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
Re: Rogue One Discussion !!!SPOILERS!
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2016, 08:34:58 AM »
Exec interference is all too obvious in this film. About 10% of a thoughtful, ambitious film made it to the screen. It almost feels like the rest was lost in a fire. And then Disney hired a team of accountants to reconstruct the missing parts.

When Cassian kills the informant at the beginning, I was really impressed: that scene says "this film is going to tackle some tough realities about war and rebellion." Just like how it has been marketed! But nope, not even close. The rumors that Disney demanded reshoots to pull back to the Saturday morning cartoon sensibility of the larger franchise turned out to be true. The Empire is as comically ineffectual as Cobra mooks in an episode of G.I. Joe.

This is fine for the usual SW picture, the ones that start with the purposefully cheesy serials-inspired John Williams overtures and scrolling texts. It falls totally flat in a picture set up as a "dark and gritty war film." But before anyone says, hey it's for kids, consider the sudden shift back to visceral violence when Vader shows up like Jason in a Friday the 13th sequel.

I would like to read a candid interview with Gareth Edwards about his experience with Disney while making Rogue One. Judging by the look of the picture, which is really very inspiring, he was certainly capable of making a much more tonally consistent film. The film Disney released feels choppy and rushed through Act 1 before becoming an entirely different -and increasingly preposterous - movie in Act 2.

Considering what apparently happened here and that the next non-trilogy movie is slated to be the adventures of teenage heart throb Han Solo, I guess Disney has decided that SW sells better as a cartoon. It's certainly tempting to think Edwards's original Rogue One would have been a better movie - the "dark and gritty war movie" everyone is talking about. But maybe SW really is better off as a soaring romance with no pretense of "realism."

Mushing the two together was an unfortunate mistake.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 08:46:49 AM by Manchu »

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2016, 10:41:07 AM »
Good point about R2 and 3PO.
I thought their appearance on Yavin was a bit too levered in and added nothing.
Now, if we'd seen them on the Tantive IV at the end I would've been perfectly happy with that and it would have made sense.
So I've no problem with the two of them popping into the film, I just thought it was done at the wrong point.

LOL, - it was the other way for me.
I liked the Droids on Yavin because it was so subtle.
IMO they accompanied Organa, who then decided to let Leia deliver the plans and gave her also the two Droids.
If the Droids and Leia would appear at the end it would have been too much IMO!

But overall I loved it, saw it twice on Wednesday and once again yesterday, will probably see it at least once more next week  :D

That is the spirit!
I am going to see it on IMAX soon.

Cannot understand though where all the Bothans that died to bring the information where?

LOL, I missed the Bothans too!  ::)

... but it's quite possibly my favorite Star Wars film, possibly over Empire! I didn't mind the ocasionally awkward CGI (something was definitely off about Leia) or the changes from the teaser trailer.

I totally agree!
My ranking list for all 8 movies now is:
Ep V
Rogue
Ep VII
Ep III
Ep IV
Ep VI
Ep II
Ep I

And BTW, for me the CGI was absolutely OK, we are just so spoiled these days.
My wife only realized Tarkin being CGI in his last scene!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 10:48:35 AM by Agis »