Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:25:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rogue One Discussion !!!SPOILERS!!!  (Read 22966 times)

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Rogue One Discussion !!!SPOILERS!!!
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2016, 04:47:58 PM »
Best.

Film.

Ever.

:D

Star Wars project for me over the holidays  ;
cheers

James

Glad you enjoyed it! Just been. It was great.

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2016, 05:41:34 PM »
Just took my little girl last night.  It was still great a second time within a week!

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2016, 05:59:10 PM »
Right, been to see it.

For me, it's a brilliant piece of masterful franchising.

So what do I mean?

So, whilst this is a prequel, it doesn't really have a number as if falls between two existing movies. It's almost a side movie. It doesn't link the movie before to the movie after, it just explores part of the overall story feeding into Star Wars (or A New Hope if you must). To me, this means that it gave the film a bit more license to play around.

I don't think it was "better" than Force Awakens, I think it was different. Both films are brilliant to me, both delivering what had been asked for since the original trilogy.

Whilst Force Awakens had the constraints of having to commit to what had come before, Rogue One really didn't. It had a loose story but one that hadn't really been fleshed out massively and as it was not part of the main story arch, as a result it could go places the other movies couldn't - yet.

Force Awakens had to be the re-awakening of the original plot line, re-introduce the same characters, go back and start the story where it left off. It had to fit in all of that AND introduce us to characters that would take the story forwards and onwards. Quite a lot to squeeze into one movie, and with all of the pressure of having to reassure people that from now on, we were back to the original quality and approach/style.

For me, this is why Rogue feels different. Because we were already reassured by Force Awakens. Without the constraints Rogue was able to be 'different' whilst in the same universe. And that is why it was a success. It could be about sacrifice more than the other movies could be. It could capture the grittiness more.

I also got the feeling that this was almost a thank you to those fans who had waited so long for the franchise to deliver again, and with the understanding that whilst Force Awakens did deliver, it still did not go all the way of thanking them.

I think all of the cameo's are perfectly explainable.

The two chaps in Jeda they bumped into, that was before they were captured and imprisoned. We're not really given much indication of time between their capture and destruction of Jeda. However, it was long enough for them to be transported to the rebel extremist base, and long enough for all Imperial Forces etc to be evacuated. I suspect that this means the course of several hours, easily enough time for ships to arrive and depart. Those not local to Jeda may even have skedaddled after the ambush fearing increased Imperial activity perhaps? Especially with missing crystals?
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline Zaheer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2016, 06:25:20 PM »
Well myself and my other half had a great time, Donnie Yeng and Riz Ahmed were extremely likeable, and as many have said the world building was excellent.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2016, 09:01:02 PM »
Just went and saw it.

My top Star Wars film (close with the originals).  I should add a disclaimer that I'm not a big Star Wars nut.  I don't think they're brilliant masterpieces of film...but the good ones are exceptionally cool.  I was pretty let-down with the Force Awakens (for a host of reasons).

This movie delivered the best Star Wars combat to date.  It felt far more real and visceral, and much more entertaining.  I thought some of the characters were weak, etc., but again - exceptionally cool.  That's enough to put my butt in the seat.  This really made up for the Force Awakens (a decent effort).  I think the settings, the atmosphere, the tech, the look, all of it outshone Force Awakens.

Several times in the film I thought "why didn't it look that good in Force Awakens?".  Why do we see a full huge rebel base with actual craft and people doing things.  The atmosphere of the rebel base was 100x the small airstrip they used in the Force Awakens.  It delivered the feel of the original movies with the bases and the carts and droids zipping around, people working on ships etc.

Lots of cruddy/worn gear and pilot suits...all just wonderful.  I seriously hope that the aesthetic is something they consider adopting for the next storyline film.  I am a bit amazed by the number of cut scenes though (note that Jyn is running with the Death Star plans across the beach in one of those scenes --- and the TIE fighter ambushing her is very cool looking, etc.).  Lots of cut stuff.  I desperately hope some of it was just extended --- but I do believe I would have enjoyed the original cut even more.

All in all, a solid 4/5 stars.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Sbloom141

• Librarian
« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2016, 09:33:35 PM »
I love it. I also loved The Force Awakens.

For me the pacing in Rogue One is strange. The final act brings it home though and Vader's final scene... YES. That's Vader. It was brilliant.

The Cushing CGI was a bit uncanny valley for me but I really appreciated the effort. We are damn close!

Also enjoyed seeing Vader's castle, I remember visiting it in Star Wars Galaxies!

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2016, 11:39:22 PM »
I saw it today.
Excellent film.
Rate it 4 to 4.5.
Will go and see it again on the big screen,
maybe in 3D.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2016, 12:58:04 AM »
After seeing it again in non-IMAX format I can say that the CGI on Leia and Tarkin seems way better on a "normal" screen. I think that the high-definition of the IMAX makes the effect much more unreal.

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2016, 07:50:04 AM »
Found some more Infos on the REbels tie ins:
http://www.starwars-union.de/nachrichten/17838/Offiziell-Alle-Star-Wars-Rebels-Verbindungen-in-Rogue-One/
(it is in German, but here are the pics)

Chopper on the left side!

The Ghost.

Ghost in space battle

And Saw Returns:
http://www.starwars-union.de/nachrichten/17837/Forest-Whitaker-spricht-Saw-Gererra-auch-in-Star-Wars-Rebels/

I am very happy how they integrate both the movie and the CGI series!
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - https://www.adpublishing.de

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #69 on: December 22, 2016, 08:06:50 AM »
Well, now my euphoria has died down there's only a couple of things that I thought needed improvement.

I don't think there was any need for R2 and 3P0 to be there, I would've thought that they would've been station on Captain Antilles ship in a more permanent basis.

The Scarif space battle needed more action from the Stardestroyers and possibly another Rebel capital ship to go toe to toe.

The computer core where the plans were was a bit unnecessary, it could have been just a normal large room filled with filing cabinet-like data banks.

And oddly, the biggest bugbear for me was the fact there wasn't an opening scroll  :( 

Other than that, a splendid, splendid film  8) 8) 8)

I'll have to see about making Mos Vegas a bit more like Jedda  lol

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2016, 08:11:41 AM »
I think the big space battle should have had more gun batteries firing, now the space was not filled with laser beams :) And aren't there also some anti-fighter ships that should have been blasting away as well?

Oh and I loved the music, I wonder if the OST is already available.

And Jim, soon you will have both Mos Vegas and Jedda-like terrain, we know your addiction ;)

Offline Mr Tough Guy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #71 on: December 22, 2016, 08:27:29 AM »
The computer core where the plans were was a bit unnecessary, it could have been just a normal large room filled with filing cabinet-like data banks.

yeah thought it was a bit too much with that huge vault door, especially when Krennic just strolls up and uses the side door  ;D

I thought that at the time, and was also miffed with the lack of the Star Wars theme music.
However, I think it worked because it got me in the mood that it was going to be something different. And god only knows the Star Wars franchise DESPERATELY needed a shake up.
So in hindsight I think they were right.
And it made the use of the Star Wars music at the end even better - finished off a great film and made it 'mine' again.

Strangely enough I thought it was less weird having a Star Wars movie start without the Star Wars theme this time then when episode 7 started without the Fox fanfare
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 08:32:01 AM by Mr Tough Guy »

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #72 on: December 22, 2016, 09:51:50 AM »
I almost think the C3-PO and R2-D2 cameos were just to maintain the "they're the only characters to be in all the films" thing that they've sort of tied themselves in to. That's if we count Anakin Skywalker and Darth Vader as separate characters. I liked the more understated Chopper cameo which I noticed despite not noticing the Ghost was there!

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #73 on: December 22, 2016, 10:33:53 AM »
So, can we see in the future a film with the members of Star Wars Rebels?
Speculation, speculation... ;D

All in all and after seing the other movies a lot of times this is IMHO the best because its the most diferent one.
And i still love all the others too.

Offline huesped

• Mad Scientist
  • "-El Emperador no es tan magnánimo como yo"
« Reply #74 on: December 22, 2016, 09:20:11 PM »
i wish they wrap all the set scenery and keep it just to film a serial like the yet-undone SW.Underground ::)