Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:12:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691080
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 8
Guests: 748
Total: 756

Recent

Author Topic: Sabotage! A sneak peek in 1940  (Read 2055 times)

Offline Teardrop World

• Librarian
    • Teardrop Worlds, blog
Sabotage! A sneak peek in 1940
« on: May 06, 2017, 05:05:36 PM »
As a kid, my main game was the plastic WW2 Airfix (unpainted). Hours of play in wonderful jungle (flower pots) and huge scenery (the sentence "clean your room" seemed like a "destroy your scenery"). Not found a set of rule to give back this feeling. I became a boring adult doing boring adult things.
Discovered on this forum that everybody write his own set of rule. So I stole idea everywhere and wrote my own solo rule - totally unplayable, full off modifier charts, ultra deadly for those poor lead soldiers. Forgotten the soft plastic 1/72, welcome to the smaller 15mm. Bought a bunch of FoW and Peter Pig miniatures.
But one thing was missing: the huge scenery. My actual mess is an adult mess: unplayable. Worst, I no longer have a sufficient imagination to transform a mess in a wonderful landscape. No choice, but build a lot of scenery pieces. Trees, more trees. You think 50 trees are enough for a forest? O mistake, you need 100! But 100 more than the hundred you already have! And now you have a little forest in the background.
Houses for a village, paint 5 of them and be proud - of a hamlet. No, you need 20 or 30 more houses. Scratch build one and make a silicone mould, now you can have a small village!
15mm is small an can be played on a kitchen table. Why on ONE kitchen table? Because all the money went in those tiny lead soldiers. So build a second kitchen table. Now this is the beginning of an interesting scenery. Only 80x240cm. There was only hundred trees on the following picture. But this childhood feeling came slowly back...

And the historical background?

Totally accurate (like all Weird War II). But no zombies, no na*is. In fact World War II did not happen.

The small austrian caporal died during WWI, Churchill died in accident. European scientists established an international research and cultural base in the Neu Schwabenland - Antartica. In 1933, Soviet armies of the OGRE and the american CACA invade Europe...

OGRE (Organisation Goulag Revolutionnaire Est) – the bolchevik gulag
CACA (Corporation Anarcho-Capitaliste Americaine) – the Anarcho-Capitalists of America
GEL (Groupe Europeen Libre) Free Europe, the Germany-French pact, helped by civilian resistance.

GEL have access to an astonishing technology, flying discs helps to infiltrate operatives, Vampyr night vision googles allow easy infiltration of the OGRE and CACA bases.

CACA are a corporation army and each soldier must pay himself for the ammunition used, his gun and equipment. Some elite units are sponsored by renowned firms (Red Helmets are sponsored by Caca-Cola, the multi-energetic drink).

OGRE forces are VERY motivated, only heroic action can avoid them some cultural enjoyment in a nearby gulag.

Scenario driven games, each side have primary and secondary objectives. Scenery plays a major role - a game is like a movie, who want to see a film without scenery and only green background?

Coming soon on your screens: Operation Kleinhund

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
Re: Sabotage! A sneak peek in 1940
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 05:18:24 PM »
Wonderfully demented, I look forward to your adventures.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 05:03:55 AM »
Sounds interesting
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Redmao

• Scientist
  • Canadian Agent
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 08:36:45 PM »
Looks very promising.
I'll agree that as we get older our technical and financial means must compensate for our diminishing imagination.

As a kid, three figures would become an entire army with each soldier returning as another again and again.
Civilians were imaginary, now they have to have actual plastic representation on the table.