Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:18:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Confessions of a terrain board virgin  (Read 8602 times)

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Confessions of a terrain board virgin
« Reply #90 on: December 31, 2016, 02:53:58 PM »
Steve not sure if you know this or if it really matters but the W&N dark peat ink isn't light fast.
Just in case it's worth bearing in mind:

http://www.winsornewton.com/uk/discover/tips-and-techniques/inks/understanding-the-quality-of-inks

:)

I didn't know that. I've been using it for about ten years and hadn't noticed but my stuff isn't out in natural light much. It was recommended by another friend who has been using it for even longer. I'll have to have a read of that as it might change my usage. Thanks.

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #91 on: December 31, 2016, 03:49:05 PM »
I didn't know that. I've been using it for about ten years and hadn't noticed but my stuff isn't out in natural light much. It was recommended by another friend who has been using it for even longer. I'll have to have a read of that as it might change my usage. Thanks.

No worries Steve. I used to use it on minis then discovered by chance that only the black (?) is permanent. Mine are in glass fronted cabinets (albeit not direct sunlight) so I stopped using it just in case. I can't tell you how quickly it fades (if at all to my untrained eye) as the minis with it on are long gone.
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #92 on: December 31, 2016, 04:16:05 PM »
When I've used it on miniatures I've varnished over it so that may have helped. On terrain it's been heavily drybrushed.

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #93 on: January 01, 2017, 01:45:21 PM »
Regarding the washes: Just do what the good Captain says and build them up gradually with thin washes.
Easier to gently build them up to the colour that you want them to have to dull them down by overdoing it.

Another option, to really muddy the waters, is to apply a thin coat of water to the area then add a small amount of ink/paint to it and spread it out as desired. This way you can gradually fade the wash into the surrounding colour.

You probably did not need to hear another option, though, did you?
 ;D

As for flocking: I would just apply glue, add a little flock by sprinkling and wait to dry.
Brush off any excess and take a look at the result.
If you want to increase the density of the flock simply repeat the process until you are happy.

If there is too much flock just brush it again as you will keep removing some every time it is brushed until you seal it.
For the record: I have never used any form of hosiery whilst applying flock. 'Burlesque Bibbles' is is just weird....

I bet the next time you do a terrain project you wont ask for any advice as you are probably receiving far too many options by now.
 :D

Cheers Mucka,
In fairness all the advice has been great, you hear people regularly saying things like wash this or drybrush that but it's rare to get a really detailed description of what people actually do or the materials they use.
I'll just take what I can from the advice and see how it turns out with the tools and materials I'm using.
I'm going to take my time with the washes and the flocking coz I think they are going to be the areas that are going to be seen the most.
First of all I need to get the rest of the boards done to this stage which in between painting figures is going to take a little time.
I will definitely come back to the thread when I start the washing and flocking stages. I also have to decide what to do about tabletop terrain pieces, what to make integral to the boards and what to make separately to place on the board.
Descisions descisions, it's a good hobby lnit  ;D

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #94 on: January 04, 2017, 09:39:55 PM »
A great thread - one of the best things about LAF is people's generosity with their time and advice.

8)