Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:05:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690879
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Armour types 1450s Eastern Europe - Advice please!  (Read 5578 times)

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
Armour types 1450s Eastern Europe - Advice please!
« on: December 23, 2016, 09:52:41 AM »
Bob is bored at work again so has another pointless question.

After picking up Northstar's Gary Oldman inspired Dracula figure (Publicity shot from Northstar website!):

I am of course considering making a small retinue to go with him.  ::)

Thing is, I don't know what Wallachian troops of around 1450-ish would look like.

Could I get away with Perry WOTR and European Armies figures? Would the armour be vastly different, maybe more Turkish influences?

Are there any useful reference pictures anywhere, or books that could be recommended for more info?

I have the Osprey on the Hussite Wars, and from that I can't see huge differences except in helmet styles and some weapon choices, maybe some of the armour is slightly old fashioned compared to western Europe? I know that's thirty years earlier and in Poland, not Wallachia, but I'm sure you can follow my reasoning. Would give me an excuse to pick up a few of the lovely Kingmaker figures if they would do for poorer troops...

Any suggestions?  ???

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
Re: Armour types 1450s Eastern Europe - Advice please!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 09:58:44 AM »
Walachia was poor, so especially you militia troops would look plain and simple with only the most simplified/improvised polearms. Household troops would look slightly better, but I doubt they would look very uniformed. That's about all I can say. Now, back to work with you before your boss finds out  lol .
Leadhead

Offline Goliad

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 11:06:45 AM »
I have wondered about doing something based on Vlad's struggles with the Ottomans in the early 1460s so am interested in what replies you get. Some ideas I had were using Perry plastic MAA and Light cavalry to do some kit bashing - add some eastern feathers and tapered shields. This would work for Vlad's bodyguard I think - he was hated by his Boyars I understand so his bodyguard was made up of mercenary Men at Arms. I would have a group or two of Boyars using the Perry miniatures westernized stradoits. The light cavalry had be flummoxed - I was thinking using the various Perry stradoits but was not quite happy with the head gear and wondered about getting a pack of Wallachian from Old Glory's Eastern European Rennaisance/Medieval range. Old Glory's Eastern European and Ottoman ranges have a lot of relevant figures - but I can't quite work up enthusiasm for them (and that indecision is the main reason I have never moved forward on this). Vlad seems to have been quite forward leaning on the use of gunpowder too.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 11:47:34 AM »
Hmm, some of the Old Glory figures don't look too bad, at least from what crappy pictures there are available on the website...

Shame you can only buy them by the bucket load.   :?

Thanks for the replies, I was looking at the Perry Stradiots as well, who wouldn't love a cavalry troop in top hats!?

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 01:24:49 PM »
If I remember correctly the main town in his territory was controlled by Germans "Saxons" and the towns guild halls and walls were covered in ports for firearms and handguns.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 01:30:45 PM »

This is a link to one video I saw. its history channel so leans to the dramatic, but the cut away's of the towns and architecture are cool.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 01:49:16 PM »
Hi Rob  :)

I created the figures below as Wallachians for Wars of the Roses era, then realised they would double up well as Lyseni or Braavosi sellswrods for my Game of Thrones project.
The bodies are Perry WOTR figures, with slightly adapted Perry heads from the ACW zouave and Sudanese ansar boxes. The shields are metal Foundry shields from the Eldorado Adventurers (big shields) and Pathan ranges (bucklers). The fur capes are added from Green Stuff.
All a bit fanciful really, but they look the part I think  ;)

[/quote]

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2016, 03:00:02 PM »
Outstanding.  :-*

I should have known you would have beaten me to this, Richard!  lol

Not worried about a slightly fanciful look, their boss is a vampire after all! I think they look exactly as I had supposed that they should.

Now, where do I get spare Zouave and Ansar heads...?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2016, 03:08:17 PM »
Just ask in the bazaar and some kind LAFer will send you a few I'm sure  :)
(That's what I did... )
Good luck with it Rob. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
Cheers.
Richard

Offline Mithridates1

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2016, 06:06:42 AM »
Really liked those conversions of Capt Blood - great characters to a man.    For Vlad's retinue I would think some mercenary (western) men-at-arms would be fine.   The Assault Group also does a Vlad on foot - he comes in European plate armour, with a boyar and female attendant.

In metal, TAG's Renaissance range may yield up some suitable figures though most are a rather late for your purposes.   

Offline Stuart

• Mad Scientist
    • Army Royal
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2016, 12:14:58 PM »
These are Romanian but pretty close and within your time period

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2016, 02:04:10 PM »
Oh now that is perfect! Thank you Stuart.  :

I think between that and the Captains slightly more fantasy take, I should be covered.

Looks like my suspicion was correct though, not abreast deal of difference in full plate from the English or German style, but some very distinctive helmets and pole arms.

Nice one.  8)

Offline Stuart

• Mad Scientist
    • Army Royal
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2016, 02:12:18 PM »
You're very welcome, there's lots of scope with the pavises and kite like cavalry shields to add a regional flavour. Some Hussite ranges may also be worth plundering for interesting figures too.

Offline Stuart

• Mad Scientist
    • Army Royal
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2016, 02:20:16 PM »
A few more

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2016, 02:47:00 PM »
I think these Hussites from 1st Corps (are these 'Kingmaker'?) would be very useful.

I don't know how they scale with Perry Miniatures, perhaps someone else here knows?