Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:28:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690803
  • Total Topics: 118351
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Who knows of a miniature model of the/an Axum Obelisk ??  (Read 1653 times)

Offline chicklewis

• Mad Scientist
Who knows of a miniature model of the/an Axum Obelisk ??
« on: January 01, 2017, 12:50:01 AM »
You may remember that one of the 'spoils of war' which Italy carried home from Ethiopia in the 1930s was the "Axum Obelisk".  I'm looking for a model of the same or similar obelisk to use at the "macguffin" for an Italian Colonial Game.  It was a huge project to get the obelisk down the the coast of the Red Sea without having it broken or damaged.  And it might make a decent scenario to have Ethiopian irregular forces attack the work parties and engineers involved in moving the huge stone.  

My eBay and Amazon searches turned up nothing about a miniature Axum Obelisk.  Can anyone help with a pointer?  I'll attach a link to a picture of the real thing.  The perfect scale model would be about 10"-12" high, but smaller would work, as well.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obelisk_of_Axum

Thanks in advance,

Chick
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 02:35:51 AM by chicklewis »
"Sufficient for the day is the evil thereof."

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
Re: Who knows of a miniature model of the/an Axum Obelisk ??
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 04:16:13 PM »
Horizon Creation 3D does several more basic obelisk designs...

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Horizon-Creation-3D/Fantasy-Terrain-/_i.html?_fsub=18822316018

You may remember that one of the 'spoils of war' which Italy carried home from Ethiopia in the 1930s was the "Axum Obelisk".  I'm looking for a model of the same or similar obelisk to use at the "macguffin" for an Italian Colonial Game.  It was a huge project to get the obelisk down the the coast of the Red Sea without having it broken or damaged.  And it might make a decent scenario to have Ethiopian irregular forces attack the work parties and engineers involved in moving the huge stone.  

My eBay and Amazon searches turned up nothing about a miniature Axum Obelisk.  Can anyone help with a pointer?  I'll attach a link to a picture of the real thing.  The perfect scale model would be about 10"-12" high, but smaller would work, as well.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obelisk_of_Axum

Thanks in advance,

Chick

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 08:45:47 PM »
Yeah, I imagine when it was in Rome there would've been a chance to buy something (maybe not in size) from a souvenir store, etc. I think your best bet is printing out the four elevations and gluing them to card and painting the edges and basing to become some easy (but effective) terrrain.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 11:25:14 PM »
 And it might make a decent scenario to have Ethiopian irregular forces attack the work parties and engineers involved in moving the huge stone.  

i suppose you imagine a totally fantasy scenario...because the only interest Abbissinians had and still have with that object was practically nil......and the truth is that it had been an  absurd mistake to send them back at even pay for the transport...
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 11:30:18 PM by italwars »

Offline Widows Son

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 07:03:24 AM »
Try searching Ebay for 'Egyptian obelisk'.  I just did, and quite a few resin ones of about the size you are after came up and were priced around £10-14.  They had the more commonly found 'pointed' top to them, but they looked good for gaming with to me.  I hope this helps.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 08:03:18 AM by Widows Son »

Offline chicklewis

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 04:13:31 PM »
Thanks, Egyptian obelisks are a dime a dozen, and not what I seek. 

I was considering a home-made paper model, and may go this direction. 

I appreciate the suggestions. 

Offline chicklewis

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 04:19:32 PM »
"i suppose you imagine a totally fantasy scenario...because the only interest Abbissinians had and still have with that object was practically nil......and the truth is that it had been an  absurd mistake to send them back at even pay for the transport..."

I'm interested in where you get this idea, Italwars.  We were in Axum in 2015, and big school parties, and family groups of Ethiopians gather all around the base of the returned stele and make a big fuss about it, seem to love it very much, and be proud to be photographed in front of it.  

Chick
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 04:21:37 PM by chicklewis »

Offline Jericho

• Librarian
    • Plastic Warfare Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 04:20:09 PM »
Doesn't look like there are Axumite obelisks available, however I did find this:

From this blog: http://www.soa.org.uk/showsblog/index.php?categories=Axumites

Might be helpful if you want to build one yourself.
De hem weert, ic salt hem lonen.

Plastic Warfare Blog

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2017, 10:43:37 PM »
We were in Axum in 2015, and big school parties, and family groups of Ethiopians gather all around the base of the returned stele and make a big fuss about it, seem to love it very much, and be proud to be photographed in front of it.  
Chick
i'm sure that, after the poor show of 2005 in which Italy send their  obelix to Ethiopia to see it abbandoned and srrounded by goats, the Ethiopian dictatorial régime according to a typical populist stance of those embarassing states, staged a show for international opinion..but the simple fact is that , for the sake of justice , the obelix should be re send to Italy..or should we ask the  Leonardo Da vinci, Botticelli or Paolo Uccello pictures to be returned in Italy?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 10:46:37 PM by italwars »