Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:45:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690758
  • Total Topics: 118348
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Air support options, manufacturer and scale  (Read 1785 times)

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
Air support options, manufacturer and scale
« on: February 05, 2017, 09:25:47 AM »
Morning chaps, or at least it is morning here.

My BoB project continues very slowly (but should pick up when the painter actually makes a start!) and I am using the down time to think about support options.  There was a very useful thread a few months ago covering type and model of armoured cars used in the RCW, and I wondered if some of the old hands could give me some pointers about who used what in the air.  My focus is on classic Copplestone BoB, including Warlord Chinese as well as British intervention, so it can be wider than just Reds and Whites.

As well as the historical side, I would also be grateful for tips on scale (1/48 or smaller?) and manufacturers.  I would prefer relatively simple resin style kits due to the smaller number of parts involved, but will man up if it has to be multi-part plastic. 

All suggestions gratefully received!

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
Re: Air support options, manufacturer and scale
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 12:15:11 PM »
I've been asking myself the same question some time ago (also for a very slow project... :D )

Many people seem to prefer a large scale, 1/48.

I made a different choice: when the planes are in the sky they look small lol so I think that they can be smaller than the game scale on the ground. Also I didn't want small parts assembly (loved that many years ago but don't want any more now) so I purchased a few diecast models which are something between 1/60 and 1/72. I haven't still decided how to make bases for them to "fly" on.

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 09:49:11 AM »
As Patrice says Sir Rodney, it's very much a personal choice thing.  Mines is for the 1/48 scale, as the list of models available is huge, and many of the kits are simply stunning.  'Eduard' make the best quality ones IMHO, but there are others out there.  Hannants have the best range.
"...and as always, we are dealing with strange forces far beyond our comprehension...."

All limitations are self imposed.  Work hard and dream big.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 12:46:50 PM »
As Patrice says Sir Rodney, it's very much a personal choice thing.  Mines is for the 1/48 scale, as the list of models available is huge, and many of the kits are simply stunning.  'Eduard' make the best quality ones IMHO, but there are others out there.  Hannants have the best range.

I fully agree. My most satisfying purchases have all been Eduard. Like this DeHaviland DH-4.

Offline ecwcaptain

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 03:48:21 PM »
I concur with Steve. I use 1:48 scale models, as the types available are large enough to get almost everything one needs, and they look right.

The only plane I have not been able to locate in 1:48 scale to fit into WW1 or BoB, is a sea (float) plane type, such as the Fairey Sea Plane. But, I'm hopeful that eventually one will be made, soon. :-)

Bob

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 04:23:25 PM »
Great tips, thanks guys, particularly as I had not heard of Eduard.  I shall certainly have a look at Hannants site.

Offline coggon

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 07:18:58 PM »
I hate putting models together-lack of patience and an tendency to glue my fingers   lol together are the leading factors.

Happened to run across these at a local hobby store and bought the Sopwith. 

http://www.newrayusa.com/portfolio-item/fokker-dr-1/

They're inexpensive and relatively easy to snap together, but the selection is very limited
"MY enthusiasm greatly exceeds my talent"-Me

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 06:53:46 AM »
I'd recommend you take a look at the Pulp plane library thread.As there's some useful finds In amongst its pages.

Hammers nice work as always( are you sure its not a Bristol F2 with the suspended lower wing ,or is it just my old eyes playing up?)

Bob, WW1 float plane kits exist in 1/48. 'Fly' make several ,and they're very pretty. A combination of plastic and resin parts.They come in around £25 mark.EBay tends to have them at double that,so I'd use the old Google.

Mark.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 07:04:43 AM by tin shed gamer »

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 01:23:04 PM »
I'd recommend you take a look at the Pulp plane library thread.As there's some useful finds In amongst its pages.

Hammers nice work as always( are you sure its not a Bristol F2 with the suspended lower wing ,or is it just my old eyes playing up?)

Bob, WW1 float plane kits exist in 1/48. 'Fly' make several ,and they're very pretty. A combination of plastic and resin parts.They come in around £25 mark.EBay tends to have them at double that,so I'd use the old Google.

Mark.

You're right. That's my Bristol.

Offline ecwcaptain

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 02:38:27 PM »

Mark.

Thanks Mark. However, I should have stated that I do have one 1:48 sea plane, being the Friedrichshafen FF-33E German WW1 Seaplane by Techmod, that I purchased since no others were available that fit. However, the one that should be made, is the Fairey, as that seemed to be very popular. Not sure why this has not been available in 1:48...yet. For WW1 scenarios in Africa, the British had some (3) of these operating there.

Of course, I do like the Fly Models 1/48 Macchi M.5 (Italian Flying Boat), but will pass on that one.

Thanks,
Bob