Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:57:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686454
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Terrain with special rules  (Read 1860 times)

Gabbi

Terrain with special rules
« on: December 31, 2016, 12:54:29 PM »
I got a Numinous Occulum as gift from a friend. This thing here: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Numinous-Occulum
I think it's a great terrain piece, with lots of character, that will suit perfectly Frostgrave.. Also it provides an elevated area, also great for treasure placement.
Anyway... the terrain piece has its own set of rules (for AoS), it focuses the arcane magic and allows wizards next to it to also cast a specific spell as they know it (rules are free to download from the page linked above). This makes me think on trying to replicate these properties in Frostgrave. For example: +1 to all rolls to cast spells if within an inch from the structure? Or maybe it could grant any Wizard inside the globe to cast Awareness (given the lore, a Soothsayer spell seems appropriate) as if he knows it.
But, more important, this could be applied to many other terrains, making for a more interesting landscape, providing further motivation to move around the table.
For example, the Gormiti "dwarf fortress" that seems quite popular among Frostgrave players could provide Enchant Weapon and Armour spells. A cemetery could grant a Raise Zombie spells, we could have terrain that grant protection against magic, and so on...
What do you think?

Offline spect_spidey

• Scientist
Re: Terrain with special rules
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 01:50:39 PM »
What is this Gormiti "dwarf fortress" that you speak of?

Offline LiamFrostfang

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 03:42:07 PM »
cool idea...thanks for sharing.  8)

Gabbi

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 05:33:49 PM »

Offline spect_spidey

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 09:46:29 PM »

Gabbi

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 09:06:33 AM »
Thank you. I had never seen that before. Is it rare? I didn't see any on eBay.

I wouldn't say so. Being a toy of some years ago now, maybe it's becoming a little scarce, but I wouldn't call it rare. I got mine last month for 10€ +shipping. There's one on Amazon but price tag is a tad high, if you ask me: CLICK. If you want one, I'd say keep an eye open for it and you should be able to get one way cheaper, sooner or later.

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 01:52:36 PM »
I'm not saying this scenario has anything to do with the Numinous Occulum, but it is a fantastic piece of terrain:

http://therenaissancetroll.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/i-hope-everyone-enjoys-this-new.html

Offline spect_spidey

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 02:31:52 PM »
I wouldn't say so. Being a toy of some years ago now, maybe it's becoming a little scarce, but I wouldn't call it rare. I got mine last month for 10€ +shipping. There's one on Amazon but price tag is a tad high, if you ask me: CLICK. If you want one, I'd say keep an eye open for it and you should be able to get one way cheaper, sooner or later.

Maybe it is just rare in the United States. None on Amazon or eBay in the U.S. at the moment. I know my son was into Gormiti for a while back when they were out, but I he never had this item and I don't recall ever seeing one. He did have some type of tree playset.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 02:53:27 PM »
I'm really not into the Age of Sigmar aesthetic but some of the terrain is perfect for Frostgrave, you can imagine it in a city of magic full of the hubris of its inhabitants. That's a lovely piece.