Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:29:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Congo: The Adventure Begins...  (Read 4541 times)

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
Re: Congo: The Adventure Begins...
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2017, 01:31:37 PM »
I can only repeat that it looks amazing. Love all the wildlife, flora, etc. I'd love to play on a table like that!

Offline pacarat

• Mad Scientist
    • pacarat.blogspot.com
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2017, 01:22:05 AM »
I can only repeat that it looks amazing. Love all the wildlife, flora, etc. I'd love to play on a table like that!

Thanks!

We haven't revisited this era since these games - but I have painted up another 50 or so assorted figures.

Offline Abbner Home

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2017, 06:54:03 PM »
That is blanking brilliant - the gemsbok in particular Is spot on!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 06:58:21 PM by Abbner Home »

Offline pacarat

• Mad Scientist
    • pacarat.blogspot.com
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2017, 12:27:45 AM »
Thanks for the comments. Been distracted with other periods (FG-GA and post-apoc) for a bit, so have not updated this thread as a result.

Finally got around to basing some of the critters. (Doing a major basing party over the holidays ~400 figures on the table)

Doing a bit of variation based on species. Gorillas and hippos get more green for lush or wet areas, antelope and rhinos more tan and yellow to represent the savannah. Bufflo somewhere in the middle.

Once I get the human figures' basing finished I will post pics here.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2017, 03:44:37 PM »
However did I miss this thread!  Oh, the shame, the shame.  Move over Richard from War in 15 mm - previous holder of Critter Commander title.  It is now yours.  Until I get mine all painted, based, and photographed.   ;D

While all the people stuff are just fine and the terrain is good it is the animals that just make it for me.  Who knows why but it just does, love games with lots of critters roaming around, especially Africa. 

Those deep black Cape Buffalo were a bit dark for me.  Like the newer versions in the tray.  I have 96 to paint for my herd - but in 15 mm, naturally.  Wish I could find more gazelle types in 15 mm for Africa, using Irregular's pronghorns as stand-ins and painting as different species. 

Really loved that first photograph in the thread and I, too, want a more careful coverage of your zoological hegemony.

I've used a variety of sources for my animal collection - suggest you check out the craft stores for the TOOB animals.  That's where I found my okapis (again, for 15 mm in my case).  Zoo gift shops, rarely, craft stores, thrift shops, HATT jungle set, Irregular Miniatures, Splintered Light Miniatures, Minifigs naked elephants, Peter Pig crocs in Africa range, have all helped build my collection.  While only have about 150 painted, I'm well north of 600 animals for my African set up.  Never be as well painted as some of yours but they'll work great in a game.

I will be using your work to inspire pushing forward on mine.  Thanks for posting!

Offline pacarat

• Mad Scientist
    • pacarat.blogspot.com
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2017, 04:18:12 PM »
However did I miss this thread!  Oh, the shame, the shame.  Move over Richard from War in 15 mm - previous holder of Critter Commander title.  It is now yours.  Until I get mine all painted, based, and photographed.   ;D

While all the people stuff are just fine and the terrain is good it is the animals that just make it for me.  Who knows why but it just does, love games with lots of critters roaming around, especially Africa. 

Those deep black Cape Buffalo were a bit dark for me.  Like the newer versions in the tray.  I have 96 to paint for my herd - but in 15 mm, naturally.  Wish I could find more gazelle types in 15 mm for Africa, using Irregular's pronghorns as stand-ins and painting as different species. 

Really loved that first photograph in the thread and I, too, want a more careful coverage of your zoological hegemony.

I've used a variety of sources for my animal collection - suggest you check out the craft stores for the TOOB animals.  That's where I found my okapis (again, for 15 mm in my case).  Zoo gift shops, rarely, craft stores, thrift shops, HATT jungle set, Irregular Miniatures, Splintered Light Miniatures, Minifigs naked elephants, Peter Pig crocs in Africa range, have all helped build my collection.  While only have about 150 painted, I'm well north of 600 animals for my African set up.  Never be as well painted as some of yours but they'll work great in a game.

I will be using your work to inspire pushing forward on mine.  Thanks for posting!

Thanks for the "coronation"...  :D   I'll hold the critter crown ready to pass on to the next deserving poster - just too many good things going on here at LAF. The bar keeps raising and it's great for inspiration and ideas.

I agree it's the animals that makes Africa, Africa. And I expect we have no idea what it was really like in the pre-european/colonial days. Must have been a spectacle.

Yep, the black buffalo are needing some TLC - that is the stock painting from mfgr. I haven't decided what to do to weather them up. Been looking for some small birds to place on their backs, too.

I regularly scrounge through toy, thrift, and department stores for anything suitable to use, plus online sources, and convention dealers and flea markets.

I have both Irregular and SLM 15s, love them both. I was doing mail order with AMEX travelers checks to Irregular back in the 80s! Mail order from US to UK was always a lesson in patience back then...

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2018, 11:21:44 PM »

AWESOME table, CONGRATULATIONS!!!  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2019, 07:07:12 AM »
So, recently discovered that Museum Miniatures have a four pose herd of Onagers in 15 mm.  I will be using these as zebras (and some as onagers for other theaters of zoological action).  Made a 'mistake' and ordered one too many packs and will convert some - or all - of these to dead animals.  This will give be 96 zebras (though perhaps need to keep in two separate herds of 48 each if they don't mix well with the ones I already have) to go along with my 96 Cape Buffalo.  Still hoping for more African antelope models in 15 mm.  I'm itching to work on my critters - but I guess I have a 'rash' of itches, Old West, AWI, ACW, Boxer Rebellion, and it seems some Indian Mutiny might be 'breaking out' all in competition for my time.

So, pacarat, have their been additions to your awesome collection of critters?

Offline pacarat

• Mad Scientist
    • pacarat.blogspot.com
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2019, 06:43:32 PM »
So, recently discovered that Museum Miniatures have a four pose herd of Onagers in 15 mm.  I will be using these as zebras (and some as onagers for other theaters of zoological action).  Made a 'mistake' and ordered one too many packs and will convert some - or all - of these to dead animals.  This will give be 96 zebras (though perhaps need to keep in two separate herds of 48 each if they don't mix well with the ones I already have) to go along with my 96 Cape Buffalo.  Still hoping for more African antelope models in 15 mm.  I'm itching to work on my critters - but I guess I have a 'rash' of itches, Old West, AWI, ACW, Boxer Rebellion, and it seems some Indian Mutiny might be 'breaking out' all in competition for my time.

So, pacarat, have their been additions to your awesome collection of critters?

A dozem African cattle painted but not yet based - have some generic antelope in the works too.

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2019, 07:25:55 PM »
Love the layout buddy, your commitment to wildlife conservation is commendable my good sir!!!

Offline pacarat

• Mad Scientist
    • pacarat.blogspot.com
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2019, 08:25:58 PM »
Love the layout buddy, your commitment to wildlife conservation is commendable my good sir!!!

What is Africa, if not the animals in their bazillions...?

Not quite there, but working on it... :)