Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 10:50:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689345
  • Total Topics: 118275
  • Online Today: 648
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Help needed: Peninsular War French Light Infantry  (Read 1765 times)

Offline Saucy Jack

• Scientist
    • London by Midnight
Help needed: Peninsular War French Light Infantry
« on: January 01, 2017, 09:18:23 PM »
My friend Erik and I have decided to take a plunge into a Sharp Practice Peninsular War project, he'll be getting the Brits and _I the French.

Looking at one of the suggested lists in the rule book there is a heavy emphasis on Light Infantry and I unsure of what minis to get, so I need you guys' help.

I have been looking at Perry plastic Late French Line Infantry - which I have seen painted as Light Infantry, but I am thinking that there are to few skirmishers in the set and perhaps 1812 in not the best year for the Peninsular War. I am also looking at Victrix French Infantry 1807-1812, they are the correct period, but I have no idea whether they can be used for Light Infantry.

So do I get the Perry plastics, and add a few blister sets of their metal minis? Or is everything I need in the Victrix box set? Or is there some other possibility that I have not seen?

Normally I am not to picky on getting the correct uniform, but I want to get this right from the beginning.

I would really appreciate some help on this, so that I can place an order.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
Re: Help needed: Peninsular War French Light Infantry
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 10:01:39 PM »
The Vitrix box has a wealth of options and is well recommended.  I've got Perry metals,  plastics mixed in with Vitrix plastics and a few Warlord plastics as well mixed into my Penninsula British and to my eye they look fine.  Some variation in stature between the males but nothing hugely jarring.  A Vitrix box with some metal perry Voltigeurs might be available good option?

Warlord currently have a half price sprue sale and the French sprue has the tall plumed shakos on it. 

Offline Saucy Jack

• Scientist
    • London by Midnight
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 08:11:18 AM »
The Vitrix box has a wealth of options and is well recommended.  I've got Perry metals,  plastics mixed in with Vitrix plastics and a few Warlord plastics as well mixed into my Penninsula British and to my eye they look fine.  Some variation in stature between the males but nothing hugely jarring.  A Vitrix box with some metal perry Voltigeurs might be available good option?

Warlord currently have a half price sprue sale and the French sprue has the tall plumed shakos on it. 
I'm tempted, but will the heads and uniform be representative of Light Infantry - I don't know if there is any difference in uniform for Line infantry and Light infantry.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 11:19:02 AM »
You will need to decide if you want to do Peninsular War French in Bicorne (early) or shako (later) There are differences between Line and Light uniforms (cut of lapels, footwear, trousers) but unless you want to be really pedantic and model units in full dress uniforms it is not necessary to worry about it (most of your troops should be wearing Shako covers and greatcoats anyway).

French Legere Infantry are one of the most confusing of the Napoleonic troop types to categorise. Units frequently ignored dress regulations and continued to use old style plumes, shako decorations and epaulettes. It is fair to say that almost every Legere regiment had a different idea on its uniform distinctions.

Take a look at the images here:
http://centjours.mont-saint-jean.com/unitesFR.php
Use the drop down menus for Legere then the individual regiments. Post 1812 this is what the Legere were supposed to look like (very similar to Line regiments) But you can make use of the tall plumed Shakos if you want. You will need to get the correct command sets though as Legere used bugles not drums.

For Sharpe you can make one regiment split into units representing the companies of chasseurs, carabiniers (grenadiers) and voltigeurs.

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 02:35:24 PM »
Warlord do a decent light infantry boxed set.

Offline huevans

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 10:44:35 PM »
Light infantry wore cutaway coats like Ligne up to 1813, but there were differences. The bottom end of the lapels was cut differently. Cuffs were often pointed, not square cut with a cuff flap. And sometimes coat tails were shorter. (The coat tails started out quite short, but grew over time during the period).

As mentioned, every Legere regt seemed to present itself in slightly different clothing.

If your list emphasizes light infantry, why don't you do ligne voltigueurs?

Offline Saucy Jack

• Scientist
    • London by Midnight
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 10:56:27 PM »
Thanks for all the help guys, I have gone with Perry plastics and some extra Perry metals.