Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:16:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Rattray's Sikhs  (Read 2927 times)

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
Re: Rattray's Sikhs
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2017, 04:37:04 PM »
Andrei1975: I have a question about the last picture. Presumably 'Full Dress' would be worn for parades and ceremonies, 'Field Dress' would be worn when 'in the field' (duh) but what about 'Stable Dress'. Stable Dress suggests to me they wore it riding (as opposed to dining with the Raj or patrolling the countryside), or was it actually just an alternate uniform?

Offline Andrei1975

• Scientist
  • Пыль шагающих сапог
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2017, 10:31:15 PM »
Andrei1975: I have a question about the last picture. Presumably 'Full Dress' would be worn for parades and ceremonies, 'Field Dress' would be worn when 'in the field' (duh) but what about 'Stable Dress'. Stable Dress suggests to me they wore it riding (as opposed to dining with the Raj or patrolling the countryside), or was it actually just an alternate uniform?
You have to help this information. It is about the 9 th regiment, but I believe, and in the 17th it was all the same:

http://www.accionunoseis.org/viewtopic.php?t=12166

Offline georgec

• Librarian
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2017, 11:08:47 PM »

Stable dress was (is) the term for what is worn when doing day-to-day duties around a unit's permanent location, particularly in the stables grooming the horses which takes up a lot of a cavalryman's day. For infantry it is barrack dress for similar, self explanatory, reasons...  The American term is 'fatigues' because you wear it when doing those routine day to day duties known as fatigues; you can see the theme here!  For the junior soldiers it is often a practical and hard wearing uniform that will cope with often dirty duties.  For the officers and NCOs it is more comfortable wear for office work and supervising the troops.  You wouldn't expect weapons or equipment to be carried, except by those detailed to guard duty for which there would be yet another form of dress, often based on full dress.

Offline Andrei1975

• Scientist
  • Пыль шагающих сапог
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2017, 01:04:47 AM »
Stable dress was (is) the term for what is worn when doing day-to-day duties around a unit's permanent location, particularly in the stables grooming the horses which takes up a lot of a cavalryman's day. For infantry it is barrack dress for similar, self explanatory, reasons...  The American term is 'fatigues' because you wear it when doing those routine day to day duties known as fatigues; you can see the theme here!  For the junior soldiers it is often a practical and hard wearing uniform that will cope with often dirty duties.  For the officers and NCOs it is more comfortable wear for office work and supervising the troops.  You wouldn't expect weapons or equipment to be carried, except by those detailed to guard duty for which there would be yet another form of dress, often based on full dress.
Thanks for the comment. Totally agree with you

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2017, 04:54:46 PM »
Thank you; makes total sense.