Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:11:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690921
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 580
Total: 585

Recent

Author Topic: Indigenous Australians  (Read 4494 times)

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: Indigenous Australians
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2017, 09:26:48 PM »
You could interpret what you just wrote as inferring you keep him locked up in your basement.

Would you mind releasing him?
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2017, 10:22:05 PM »
You could interpret what you just wrote as inferring you keep him locked up in your basement.

Would you mind releasing him?

No. He is my Australian, find your own.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2017, 10:25:29 PM »
Excellent work on the minis, Jack. They've turned out really well! And the little diorama is also very nice.

Offline Firescale Whack

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2017, 12:10:54 AM »
I agree Henry Lauder, some mega-fauna would be a nice addition but I am hoping for some Dingoes first. It's also worth noting that Reaper mini's make some Australian animals aswell that could be used for added variety, some here: http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/animal/latest/03704 and here http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/animal/latest/03589

Excellent work on the minis, Jack. They've turned out really well! And the little diorama is also very nice.

Thanks Christian, shame the photography isn't better though!  lol

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2017, 10:11:56 AM »
Lovelly painting work on some lovelly miniatures. :-* :-*
Keep it coming.

Offline Freelancer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2017, 09:21:14 PM »
They look fantastic. The body paint and shield art really make them pop. The roos are lovely too.
As for the models, any resemblence to aboriginal australians is purely coinicidental  :)
Well only a little bit coincidental. Denisovans are an extinct group of Homo sapiens that were genetically distinct from modern humans, in the same way Neanderthals are genetically distinct. They migrated to eastern asia about the same time Neanderthals moved north into europe.
We have no clear idea what they looked like, but a few bone samples have allowed a full DNA profile, showing us they had dark hair and skin. It was also found that modern humans that migrated east, must have interbred with Denisovans, as their descendants have a small percentage of their DNA ( in the same way Europeans have a small percentage of Neanderthal DNA). When deciding what they should look like, we modelled them on Papuans, Melanisians and Australian Aboriginals who all carry the highest percentage of their DNA (5-8%). This is why the models Nic is releasing for us have an Australasian Aboriginal look, without being exactly like any culture today. So it was artisic license, with the happy coincidence that the models could also be used as Firescale Whack has done.
Primeval rules are with the printer at this very moment and we hope the pdf version will be ready very soon, but otherwise they can be used with the core Tribal rules, just without rules for boomerangs, hunting dogs and Diprotodons (which are all in Primeval). So yes some Mega Fauna models would be awesome.

Interestingly, it has just been shown that the ancestors of Aboriginal Australians migrated to the continent in one migration (rather than a series, that displaced older groups as was once thought), and spread across the continent quite rapidly. After that they pretty much stayed put, as the DNA of any aboriginal nation is distinct for their geographic location. So a Wurundjeri, Arrente or Yolngu's DNA can placed them in Melbourne, Central Australia and Arnhem land respectively. This is of course a great finding for displaced aborignal persons (stolen generation) who may have lost their cultural connection. Their DNA links them to their country, in a way not seen in any other human group today.

Offline Leigh Metford

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2017, 09:41:51 PM »
As you say, the degree of 'aboriginality' varies from figure to figure. That being so, if I decide to buy some rather than wait for the real thing, will it be possible to purchase them individually?  

Offline Freelancer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2017, 01:29:40 AM »
Most Eureka stuff can be bought individually. The original plan was that Eureka were going to release the models for sale at Salute in April, where they are usually in trays where you can pick and mix.
I only have pictures of the greens on Mana Press's twitter feed, but they might help as a guide of which figures would work for you.
https://mobile.twitter.com/ManaPress/media

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2017, 08:44:28 PM »
I'd like everybody involved to wind down a bit and have removed the posts most likely to turn into a name-calling match. We've had this argument before and I have no intention of letting it pop up again and again. Please focus on the miniature aspects if possible.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2017, 04:11:57 PM »
Oooh, roos in a wargame setting!  Love it.  :-*  But I'm very much cracked about getting zoologicals into gaming situations.  Just wait for my Plains of Africa to show itself - 30 plus species, over 900 animals!  Don't hold your breath, though.  A ways to go and awaiting the African Cape Buffalo I commissioned being sculpted (in 15 mm, naturally).

Like your painting work, too.

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2017, 06:31:17 PM »
I'd like everybody involved to wind down a bit and have removed the posts most likely to turn into a name-calling match. We've had this argument before and I have no intention of letting it pop up again and again. Please focus on the miniature aspects if possible.

Thank you, I get my post removed, but at the same time i'm glad you removed them, this is about miniatures, if we stopped to debate the historical actions of most sides there would be very few armies to play....we'd have to gut ww2 and ban warhammer 40k outright lol
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 06:33:25 PM by Kommando_J »

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2017, 12:17:08 AM »
"I'd like everybody involved to wind down a bit and have removed the posts most likely to turn into a name-calling match. We've had this argument before and I have no intention of letting it pop up again and again."

Sorry Chris, I thought a simple question on someone's thoughts on a topic with little information didn't seem to me in any way inflammatory. With respect, limiting discussion on Frontier Warfare is frankly what has been going on for 100 years and the reason I asked!

"at the same time i'm glad you removed them, this is about miniatures"

...well, we are talking about miniatures of real people so discussion of them, their likely use and portrayal seems entirely relevant..we all know that. This forum is full of such threads...c'mon chaps...

This is an interesting area (of virgin gaming and historical) and one which would be good to discuss as so little, and disparate, is the information to get. I do understand the 'heat' that sometimes accompanies this topic but I don't think the respondents here were heading anywhere near that discourse.

So, please, let us chat and if someone DOES step out of line then by all means jump on it...but don't redact grown up civil discussion that may benefit all, on the assumption something might be said...Crikey! You'd be deleting threads left, right and centre!  :D

That said, I'm happy to start another thread to discuss these matters so as not to hijack Firescale Whack's thread....lovely figures he's painted, and they are, as I have some myself and will post some pics and thoughts on their use soon.

Kindest

Happy 'Aussie' Wanderer

« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 04:37:19 AM by Happy Wanderer »

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2017, 10:00:07 AM »
And I've just been reminded that I have this page bookmarked from years ago:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~jray/coffs_harbour/battle.htm

I had bought a whole lot of QRF's 15mm "Koori" and wanted to use them in non-colonial warfare/TUSK. I also did a quick Google ("Aboriginal warfare") - there's a lot more infomation from museums/research institutes to gather information for using these miniatures. At the end of the day Tribal&co is really going to bring out a new part of the hobby that I will enjoy.