Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:44:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Stargrave "starter-kit"- help needed!  (Read 119 times)

Online traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
Stargrave "starter-kit"- help needed!
« on: Today at 09:23:57 AM »
I have a friend that is very interested in Sci-Fi(books, movies etc) and I thought I would try to lure him into skirmish wargaming. I therefore plan to give him a "starter-kit" for Stargrave. I am not into this myself and only deal with historicals so beside the rulebook, what else should I include in terms of dice, tokens etc? What is the minimum and types of miniatures needed. I would prefer to give him metals. I would be grateful if you could share your wisdom!

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
Re: Stargrave "starter-kit"- help needed!
« Reply #1 on: Today at 01:32:51 PM »
Not much wisdom to share, as despite having all the books, I've never played a game  :'(

"Official" metal minis, however, can be found at https://www.northstarfigures.com/list.php?&man=295&page=2, along with the plastic box sets. They are true 28, so plenty of other ranges work with them.

The minis are nice, but be aware that they have no slotta tabs or integral bases - it's bare feet all the way :-[

If you're looking for small scale sf, 5 parsecs is worth a look as well. It's solo or cooperative and has a pretty small model count. There are several threads in this sub-forum on people's games if you want an idea of how it plays.

Online traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Stargrave "starter-kit"- help needed!
« Reply #2 on: Today at 02:42:16 PM »
zemjw,

Many thanks for your comments!
Interesting with the bare feet, but fortunately there seems to be a lot of options for miniatures from different manufacturers to choose from. I am kind of set on Stargrave but I have to check ou the 5 parsecs. A dedicated miniatures solo game sounds like a dream come true. I just wish there was one for historical miniatures games.