Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:58:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Any good sources for terrain details (wheels, barrels, windows, pipes, etc.)?  (Read 3088 times)

Offline StreetBushido

• Bookworm
I like scratch-building terrain, but there are some bits that, to me, are too tricky to build myself.

Stuff like barrels, wheels, crates (although I've seen some nice tutorials on making your own), pipes, cranes, small animals, etc. Adding that kind of stuff can really make a piece of terrain pop! But I haven't seen any good sources for where I can buy that type of stuff.

Oh, and while I'm pretty decent at making windows for medieval type buildings, I'm not as confident in making windows for more modern styles of architecture. So it would be nice to be able to buy windows too.

Do you know of any good sources for terrain details?

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
How about Renedra for plastic barrels and fences?

And there's a host of suppliers of windows etc: Antenociti's is a good one for instance.

And then there are the companies making those elements for architectural models or model railroads...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline MalcyBogaten

• Mad Scientist
I keep my eyes peeled at Toyfairs and cheapo shops in the UK.

Even things like figure or kit sprues can sometimes give you pipes, table legs, or just interesting shapes that can be cut down and added to any building or anything else your imagination desires!

A friend gave me a box of stuff from his University that had never been used and was going to be thrown away! Things like slide projector frame holders and unused plastic vials. (Still cling filmed up so unused!) Very useful!

We have Poundland and Poundworld in the UK!
USA have Dollar Store!

I daresay you have an equivalent. Or charity shops sometimes have old games and toys. Have a look! You never know!

:D

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?

Offline StreetBushido

• Bookworm
How about Renedra for plastic barrels and fences?

And there's a host of suppliers of windows etc: Antenociti's is a good one for instance.

And then there are the companies making those elements for architectural models or model railroads...

Thanks for the tips! I actually stumbled across Renedra's stuff earlier today!

Which companies would that be?

Try some train layout folks

http://www.rustyrail.com/

http://www.rustystumps.com/

These? Also, thanks! That's some cool stuff.

A related question: which model train scale best matches 25mm/28mm scale miniatures (Malifaux, Warhammer, Warmahordes, etc.)?

I keep my eyes peeled at Toyfairs and cheapo shops in the UK.

Even things like figure or kit sprues can sometimes give you pipes, table legs, or just interesting shapes that can be cut down and added to any building or anything else your imagination desires!

A friend gave me a box of stuff from his University that had never been used and was going to be thrown away! Things like slide projector frame holders and unused plastic vials. (Still cling filmed up so unused!) Very useful!

We have Poundland and Poundworld in the UK!
USA have Dollar Store!

I daresay you have an equivalent. Or charity shops sometimes have old games and toys. Have a look! You never know!

:D

Sound advice! Thanks!  :)

Although I feel that I have to search those kinds of places sparingly: space is at a premium! This forces me (thankfully, really) to carefully consider my hobby purchases.

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius

Offline shandy

• Mad Scientist
    • The Raft. Wargaming Adventures
For wheels (and other small stuff) you might want to have a look at Langely Models:
http://www.langleymodels.co.uk/acatalog/Wheels.html

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
I get my wagon wheels here.
http://www.4ground.co.uk/add-ons-19th-20th-century-wheels?search=wheels
http://www.4ground.co.uk/add-ons-ancient-and-medieval-wheels?search=wheels
For barrels boxes and such I use this becasue I never run out.

It is Hirst arts Cavern Accessory Mold #85  He has a bunch of different molds so you get some variation. 
You can find them here
http://www.hirstarts.com/
He has links for other sites where you can purchase them in other countries. 
Hope that helps.
Snitchy sends.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
For wooden barrels and some of the other details, a good craft store is your best bet...

Most of them have some wooden barrels that are made of, well, wood. They're in two sizes that work well for minis at the 25-32mm spread. The smaller being the standard with the larger ones being for other things like kegs.

The area with charms/pendants also tend to have a lot of bits and pieces you can easily use.

For wagon wheels and the like, try the wood section where the barrels are or in some of the dollhouse stuff, perhaps the models section.

Sure, there is a lot of variety between stores, but I've found a LOT of things at Hobby Lobby...

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
Warbases have windows and if you contacted them, they would probably supply a sheet of wagon wheels.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
 Fenris Games do a good range of scenery items.

Offline StreetBushido

• Bookworm
Thanks for all the tips! Lots of stuff to look into and consider. Makes my fingers itch looking at all those little bits.

How about roofing details? Like cornices and such?

I'm thinking stuff like in the following picture:

And:

Thanks again for all the help!

Offline StreetBushido

• Bookworm
Sometimes, fella, you just have to get in there and make it yourself the hard way!
Otherwise you might as well buy a ready-made model.

What about picture frame beading? That could be useable for architraves.

Fair enough! I can imagine doing it with plasticard in different thicknesses or something like that. Three different layers to achieve the stepped look. And then finishing it with little squares underneath to get that corniced look.

Any good tutorials on the subject? You can't go two steps on the internet without finding tutorials on making a hut or a cottage, but Victorian era townhouses (or more directly steampunky buildings) are thinner on the ground!

Offline Skyven

• Scientist
  • Wargaming on Skye
Fenris is a great place to start:

Architectural details

Basing bits

Offline StreetBushido

• Bookworm
Fenris is a great place to start:

Architectural details

Basing bits

Would you look at that! They actually sell cornices! Nice!  :)

A lot of exclamation marks there, but still. Thanks!