Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:56:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Union "regular infantry" question  (Read 1260 times)

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Union "regular infantry" question
« on: January 05, 2017, 08:19:20 PM »
Hello all,

I have yet another question for the collective wisdom of LAF. I have a fairly large collection of 28mm ACW figures for both Union and Confederate sides. The question is what regiments I could represent that would be considered "regular", "ordinary", rank and file units? I'm looking for units who would wear dark blue kepis and sack coats and would carry "standard" regimental and national colors...

You see information on uniforms colors and flags used by famous units are quite easy to find but, in turns out, info on "run of the mills" units not much so...

I have figures for these famous units (Iron Brigade, 5th NY, 14th Brooklin, etc.) but I would like to paint the rest of my troops as "regular infantry".

Where I can find info on these units and what, if any, company have printed flags to go with these?

Cheers!
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline zippyfusenet

• Scientist
Re: Union "regular infantry" question
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 09:02:34 PM »
Maybe I'm missing your point. This seems easy-peasy to me.

You need some regimental level orders of battle for Civil War armies. These are easy to find. The four volume set Battle and Leaders of the Civil War has them for both sides for all the famous battles and many obscure ones. Boardgames have them. Or you can google them online and see what turns up. F'rinstance, here is a regimental level OB for the Army of the Potomac at Gettysburg, a popular prototype for modeling:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gettysburg_Union_order_of_battle

You might note that Meredith's Iron Brigade (1st Brigade, 1st Division, 1st Corps AOP) was paired with Cutler's 2nd Brigade, 1st Division, 1st Corps, comprising the 7th Indiana, 76th, 84th, 95th, 147th  New York and 56th Pennsylvania, all of which were 'ordinary' volunteer regiments in Federal service - who, of course, fought like heroes at Gettysburg. All would have worn the ordinary forage cap + sack coat of the Federal volunteer soldier in the AOP. Their colors were of standard patterns. Accounts of their service are not hard to find, in print or online:

http://civilwarhome.com/cutlergettysburgor.html

I hope this helps.
You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Offline huevans

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 09:58:23 PM »
PA, NY and MA had fairly frequently-used, semi standardized State and National colours designs. It is almost impossible to catalogue exhaustively which unit carried what design of flag at what time. Some units have artifacts which have been recorded, others not.

Offline Extrabio1947

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 11:19:23 PM »
It's easy to understand your issue.  Given the extreme over abundance of zouaves, Iron Brigade, Berdans Sharpshooters, and other uniquely uniformed troops on the gaming table, troops in regulation dress are almost nonexistent.  But pick any number between 1 and 25, then choose a Union state - for example, the 17th Ohio - and chances are they wore regulation dress (four button blouse or frock coat) or something very close to it (shell jacket).

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 09:07:00 PM »
Thanks all for the replies... it occurs to me, after posting the question, that I could just look to some ACW battle orders in old Wargames Illustrated mags and "remove" special, exotic, etc. units...  :?

It's easy to understand your issue.  Given the extreme over abundance of zouaves, Iron Brigade, Berdan’s Sharpshooters, and other uniquely uniformed troops on the gaming table, troops in regulation dress are almost nonexistent.  But pick any number between 1 and 25, then choose a Union state - for example, the 17th Ohio - and chances are they wore regulation dress (four button blouse or frock coat) or something very close to it (shell jacket).

That’s why I asked this question, "regular" units don’t seem to be too popular in wargames... kind of like FoW players who’d only fields Panthers and Tigers lol

Again, thanks for the replies.

Cheers!

Offline zippyfusenet

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 11:53:34 PM »
That’s why I asked this question, "regular" units don’t seem to be too popular in wargames...

Oh, I dunno. One of my friends built the entire Army of the Cumberland c. early 1864, start of the Atlanta campaign. Another friend built AP Hill's corps for Gettysburg. They used to pit them against  each other in grudge matches. Of course these were 15mm armies for Fire & Fury, modeled at brigade level. Also, they were both re-enactors, and painfully authentic. There are many different styles of play.

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 05:57:41 AM »
I have enough ACW troops to field 3 corp + a half Corp of cav. for each side. Most of my Union troops are pretty generic. I do have a couple of special units that I am fond of, the Pennsilvania Bucktails for one, some Irish brigade, and a couple of 1/2 units of zouaves that I put together in one unit. But most of my union troops are plain blue in kepis, or in great coats. I do have a brigade of colored troops too. For my confederates they are pretty generic too. Some in grey, some in butternut, & some in mixed uniform & civilian dress. I do have a couple of my favorites, Louisianna Tigers, Washington battery, & my Florida Cavalry with shotguns.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +109