Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:53:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Any techniques to swapping faces?  (Read 1622 times)

Offline salcor

• Librarian
Any techniques to swapping faces?
« on: January 06, 2017, 12:25:47 PM »
Hello,  so I am working on a modeling project that requires me to cut the face off a necron an place it onto a cadian.
Here is the picture:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ighmkh1gjnlwoqz/ST-with-smaller-rebreather-head-det.jpg?dl=0

this was a one off from the warseer, but I am doing 10 figures this way.

So my question, what is the best was to slice a face off a miniature in a way that is easily repeatable?  Are is the a good hobby vice to use on something this small?  Would a Drexel tool be better for cutting than a hobby knife?  Thanks.

Salcor
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 12:34:24 PM by salcor »

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: Any techniques to swapping faces?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 12:43:40 PM »
I do this occasionally using a 9mm craft knife for the main cut; l leave a little excess and then trim more precisely with a scalpel. No need for a vise but fingernails can help.
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 09:05:06 PM »
Hello,  so I am working on a modeling project that requires me to cut the face off a necron an place it onto a cadian
 this was a one off from the warseer, but I am doing 10 figures this way.

So my question, what is the best was to slice a face off a miniature in a way that is easily repeatable?  Are is the a good hobby vice to use on something this small?  Would a Drexel tool be better for cutting than a hobby knife?  Thanks.
Salcor
Instead of slicing off twenty faces why not just ten.  Instamould will allow you to make a press mold for green stuff to reproduce the Necron face and you can use another piece of instamold as a guide to mark your cadian faces.  For the cadian I would use the insta mold as a guide to mark where the cut will be.  Then I would roughly slice the cadian faces off small thin slices and sand to even it out.   Link for a toot with instamold if you have never encountered it.
http://gravengames.co.uk/making-molds-with-oyumaru-instant-mold/
Hope that helps.
Snitchy sends.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline Supercollider

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 09:18:35 PM »
I popped in to mention instamould, but Snitchy got here before me.  Definitely the way to go! :)

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 10:29:32 PM »
Sorry I cannot come up with a solution but I have to say the result is superb.

Offline salcor

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 01:58:14 AM »
Thanks guys the instamold thing should work pretty well. I will have to get some if it.  Of course I could just make one head, then use the instamold to reproduce the full head instead.  Has anyone used instamold to create a two sided mold before?  Of course scanning a completed head in for 3d printing would be nice as well.

Salcor

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 08:11:40 AM »
Has anyone used instamold to create a two sided mold before? 
It can work.  The big problem is that it softens with heat so when adding the second half of the mold it can soften it.  It will work but might take a couple of tries.  If you are out getting some go for the Oyumaru off ebay since it will be cheaper than the instamold from the local game store and you will get more of it in the pack.  It is reusable but if you are like me you will save some of your quick molds for parts that you regularly use. 
Snitchys ends.