Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:13:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685046
  • Total Topics: 118007
  • Online Today: 740
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Space Hulk in Miniature Wargames...  (Read 1308 times)

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
Space Hulk in Miniature Wargames...
« on: February 21, 2024, 06:42:33 AM »
Hi,

Is anyone old enough to remember a version of Space Hulk (or that type of game) appearing in miniature wargames? I believe it came with a template for photocopying a corridor or two? It would be good to know that I am not going senile and that this actually happened!
Recently I have been looking at my collection of figures and wondering if it is worth the effort of creating some corridors and rooms and just downloading the rules off the internet?
Is there any one out there done this? I was thinking it may well be a rewarding little side project... any advice or pics would be welcome. I am not young anymore and can't keep waiting for Games Workshop to release another version of this epic game.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 05:18:42 AM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
Re: Space Hulk in Minaiature Wargames...
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2024, 07:08:17 AM »
Well, I remember when White Dwarf had additional missions and they'd have a game tile you were supposed to glue to thin card, such as a cereal packet.  :)

OTOH, These missions were for Space Hulk, so stuck to a board you made with the game tiles.

As for miniature wargames, GW did have a "genestealer cult" that expanded the genestealers with hybrids, zorgs, a boss genestealer, cultists, and even a limousine, though for Warhammer 40K, not Space Hulk (or its expansions, Deathwing and Genestealer; Deathwing, iirc, was incorporated into the Space Hulk rules).

For a DIY board, see these threads on BGG, BoW :
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/153486/anyone-tried-making-their-own-game
https://www.beastsofwar.com/board-games/space-hulk-level-3d-terrain/
Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2024, 07:15:09 AM »
Thanks for the reply and links CED I have been searching Pinterest etc for sources like this but it is a niche within a niche I think. I do remember the expansions in White Dwarf but I always seemed to be impoverished whenever an expansion or the game itself was released.
Now that I am in a better position to pursue my hobby GW have of course abandoned the game and I don't feel like spending a few hundred pounds to buy a secondhand version.
The links are much appreciated, again thank you for them. I have a couple of days off work and will have a great time reading those.

Offline Merlon

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2024, 09:25:53 AM »
Most of the editions of Space Hulk have their rules easily available as PDFs on the Internet.
Same with images of the Space Hulk tiles

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2024, 10:05:14 AM »
Search for the 'space hulk bible'.

If you can't find it, let me know and I'll see if I can hook you up.

EDIT:Scratch that previous comment, here's the link:
http://spacehulk.barsoom.cc/ressurected/shbible/Space_Hulk_Bible_1st_edtion.pdf

As for boards, there's a lot of fun to be had making your own.

In addition, nowadays there are lots of 3d printed options, or if you want 2d a google search will reveal printed tiles on Scribd.

Finally, if money's not an option, the Gallows Dark/boarding actions terrain produced by GW, and the zona mortalis stuff they did for Necromunda could be used to produce most of the maps.

Have Fun.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 12:19:30 PM by hubbabubba »

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2024, 05:51:51 PM »
I have a vague recollection of a game in the magazine dealing with running battles in space ship corridors, but false memories haunt me fiercely.

Maybe associated with Ains[t]y or Dixon resin stuff?

Same year as Space Hulk, there was a [board]game on Aliens [from Leading Edge Games], but only one smaller scenario in a corridor. I ran the reactor room as a participation game at conventions, as a character could die before doing anything, burnt some badly. Still, occasionally l get asked to bring it out.

I know there are print-your-own corridors on WargameVault/DriveThruRPG.

Sorry, crap for help...

Doug
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 11:27:59 AM by The_Beast »

Offline katie

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2024, 09:02:19 PM »
There was a corridor-based bug-hunting game. I remember buying the issues for it...

Hold on.

(Digs through stacks in library)

MW148 and 149.

From 1995. The first part has a photo of a load of Space Hulk 1ED figures. Second part has photocopiable corridor plans.

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
Re: Space Hulk in Miniature Wargames...
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2024, 04:01:48 AM »
WoW ! Thanks for the help, there is more out there than I realised! MW 148 and 149 thank you.... 1995 good grief that seems so long ago and yet only yesterday in a strange way. I will look them up, its amazing that someone on here knew that. Thanks Katie.

The Space Hulk Bible will be very much worth a look and for some reason I had not yet looked online for the rules. I will probably stick with 2d for now but 3d printing for the doors and consoles would save some money as the originals are hard to find and expensive, excellent shout Hubba thanks.

"False memories haunt me fiercely", Beast that Shakespearean line made me chuckle as when I started this post I wasn't even sure if I had dreamt about those corridors.

I am now off to look at the Space Hulk bible page as its 4AM and I cannot sleep... thanks again Guys this is amazing.