Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:33:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690825
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 749
Total: 753

Recent

Author Topic: [kickstarter] HMAS Furious - project launched  (Read 7023 times)

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
Re: HMAS Furious [KS Make 100]
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2017, 04:14:10 PM »
Yes,  yes, I know.

" No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time! "

Seriously, the fore part is done, though I'd mis-judged the laying of panels, and got discouraged having to 'break' off some to realign. I'll get going soon. The tramp steamer/carrier hull will need some cutting soon enough.  :)

Doug

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
Re: HMAS Furious - finished photos
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2017, 04:22:43 AM »
Alrighty, I've been in overdrive to get this done by the end of January and I think I've cracked it. 

Here are some quick iPhone photos.  I spent most of the night tonight stringing up the ship, it's the last and most tedious step.

What do you think?  One line alone the railings or two?  I can't decide which I like, but I do know that one line (like the second level of the super structure) takes half as long to string that two (like along the deck).  Any opinions welcome as I'm on the fence!  (ha ha)

A few perspective shots

Offline GDonk

• Scientist
Re: HMAS Furious - final pics added Jan 24
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2017, 09:23:11 PM »
For what it's worth - for me, two work better than one. Beautiful work btw.  :-*

Offline LCpl McDoom

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2017, 09:33:55 PM »
Outstanding sir  :)

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2017, 09:46:51 PM »
Thank you gentlemen!  And thanks for the feedback GDonk :)

Offline VSF Gamer

• Scientist
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2017, 10:31:56 PM »
I agreed with Gdonk. Two lines look better. What's the price tag on this beauty? I think I may need/want one.

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2017, 11:12:39 PM »
Thanks VSF G - So the tough part is done now.  To figure out the cost I need to combine all the files onto as few sheets as possible, optimize all the cut lines, then cut one and time it.  That will let me know what the cost is.  The process is relatively quick though and I should know within seven days or so.

Offline VonAkers

• Scientist
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2017, 07:35:42 AM »
Hi Fergal
Mate that is simply amazing ..Well done Old boy.
Put me down for one please... guaranteed.
Cheers

Offline LCpl McDoom

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2017, 04:39:06 PM »
Not wishing to cause you additional grief, and please feel free to reply "Leave me alone McDoom!" - but is there any chance of sizing and pricing up some straight aileron-tails please?

I like your swepty-backs as potentially something suitably sleek and Frenchified (in my own setting), but I also do like the clunky British design of a more rectangular aileron-tail. See here: https://blackcampbell.com/2016/03/15/aerial-flyers-and-cloudships-for-space1889-part-2/#jp-carousel-4158

And some delightful ideas here if you can access Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/137219119866357227/

Please don't fret if it's unwelcome extras - it's not beyond even my meagre modelling abilities to make something suitable.

And aye, I am definitely enthused enough to purchase at least one  :)

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2017, 05:01:13 PM »
Thank you VonAkers :) 

LCpl McDoom, I never say 'leave me alone' to someone offering feedback!  If I didn't want it, I wouldn't put it up on a board like this.  I always say, "Decisions are made by those who show up".  Of course I can pop those together, I had thought about doing it before, a sort of 'pulp' version of them and a 'VSF' version, with the current being more of a pulp style. 

I threw the idea out when I was trying to get this ship done for the January KS event Make 100, but I don't think I'm going to make it so I can add them back in the work flow.

I had also made a design decision to make it fit in a US large flatrate box as it was easier for me and I could make the bottom of the hull in one piece, but I'm going to offer both versions now too.  Those in the US wishing for a one piece hull will be able to $5 more shipping and get it, those wishing to save $25 shipping internationally will be able to get the two piece hull.

The net result is that I'll be taking another week or two to get everything together and ready to go. 

Thanks for the kind words and input.

Offline VonAkers

• Scientist
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2017, 09:05:16 AM »
Hi Fergal
Mate having done the majority of the hard yards in the scrum .. all that remains is to place the ball over the line then...
It may well be worth as suggested previously that a few subtle options can open up the ship to several versions .
Think captured and re gunned by the French , or modified to have more speed ( more stacks ) &, different tail by the Germans ??
Also what about a potential "Option B " ie a larger front deck ( 5/6  inches extra)to mount a potentially larger FF gun??or rear firing gun or both.
That would be the only slight issue I would have  of the model ( maybe a bit short in the bow )???
Having referred to my Trusty Space 1889 Sky Galleons of Mars book, it looks like you have used a Triumph  Class Aerial Cruiser  as inspiration  ?
Having said that a slight increase in the length at the bow , would then accomadate a larger calibre weapon perhaps.
I am not sure how the deck and plan goes together , however may it be possible that you would only need to retool ( as option b ) the main deck and add 6 inches on ??..so to speak..
If so this would effectively give you 2 options on the craft for a potentially small amount of  extra work ?
Your thoughts ??
Your thoughtse

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2017, 12:26:21 PM »

If so this would effectively give you 2 options on the craft for a potentially small amount of  extra work ?
Your thoughts ??

While a change in style of piece is not a problem, lengthening the hull would mean a change in 75% of the ship.  I'm somewhat interested in a sister ship version, but that would mean a change in trimmings and some variation in super structure.  There's a reason that once they found a hull that worked, they built as many variations as they could.

Offline VonAkers

• Scientist
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2017, 08:58:53 PM »
Fergal
Thanks for the prompt reply.
Sounds like my "easy " changes are not so easy..lol
Just a thought.
As far as guns go TVAG has some , sold under Houstons Guns .
Cheers

Offline LCpl McDoom

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2017, 09:45:21 AM »
@Fergal - sounds wonderful, and it also sounds like I may well order at least two now  :)

@VonAkers - would it be possible to post up links for those sources of Naval Ordnance & Hardware please?

Offline VonAkers

• Scientist
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2017, 12:15:42 PM »
Hi Guys
I was asked to point out that The Virtual Armchair General (TVAG ) has a lot of suitable naval armaments & other VSF guns ..

http://www.thevirtualarmchairgeneral.com/
Cheers