Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 09:26:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691097
  • Total Topics: 118372
  • Online Today: 880
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Storage and lighting!  (Read 2159 times)

Offline StreetBushido

• Bookworm
Storage and lighting!
« on: January 02, 2017, 10:53:42 AM »
Hello and a Happy New Year!

Long time lurker and first time poster here.

Ever since the missus and I moved into our new apartment I haven't really been able to get any proper hobby activity done. Fairly recently, though, I managed to create a little (emphasis on little!) space I could dedicate to my various miniature hobbies.

Now I'm wondering if any of you fine folks have any advice on any clever storage solutions for somebody as strapped for space as I am? Also, any advice on what I should keep in mind when looking for proper lighting for my hobby space?

Cheers!

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
Re: Storage and lighting!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 03:06:59 PM »
Look in used furniture stores, surplus stores, etc. for a cheap secretary desk.  Something like this (though this isn't cheap): https://www.wayfair.com/Luxury-Home-Regalia-Secretary-Desk-94339-WW-LXH2670.html

That gives you a cabinet for storage and a closable work surface so you don't have to pack everything away every time you finish.

Alternately, you may be able to find a small cheap roll-top desk.  That's what I have for my painting area now, tucked in a corner of the living room.

Offline StreetBushido

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 04:32:02 PM »
Thanks for the info!

Currently, though, buying a wholly new table or workspace isn't really an option. I'm looking for ideas on how to optimize the space I have for storage while also leaving space to work.

And I'm also looking for advice on proper lighting for hobby work space.

Offline Tom Reed

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 04:39:26 PM »
If you can mount stuff on your walls some shelves or a wall cabinet would be handy.
Jane! Stop this crazy thing!

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 04:48:09 PM »
Recently got this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DDR01BU/ref=pe_385721_37038051_TE_3p_dp_1

and this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01L6KUOT4/ref=pe_385721_51767431_TE_dp_1

as could not think of anything else for xmas prezzies family could dip some money at.  Regards better lighting.

I looked at some others, but once added daylight bulbs etc, still came out at 60 pounds or so.

Main thing is they are clamp lamps so take up far less desk space - fold flat against the wall when not in use.
In fact currently clamped to window sill behind my desk - its a nice wooden windowsill - quite solid.

so if your wall suddenly had a shelf - one could be clamped to it without using up much space on it.

the light is great. even with the daylight bulb in the room, these really make a big difference.

Probably did not need to get both but  ::)

mentioned on another thread, is some jewelry trays, and other storage, that are an Idea I am keeping an eye on for the future stealing thereof -  already checked I can get them in the UK - expect you can find a local supplier easily also :)

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=96546.0

Offline StreetBushido

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 07:46:34 PM »
If you can mount stuff on your walls some shelves or a wall cabinet would be handy.

Good idea, although I'm not sure if I can actually make that kind of additions to the apartment walls.

Recently got this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DDR01BU/ref=pe_385721_37038051_TE_3p_dp_1

and this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01L6KUOT4/ref=pe_385721_51767431_TE_dp_1

as could not think of anything else for xmas prezzies family could dip some money at.  Regards better lighting.

I looked at some others, but once added daylight bulbs etc, still came out at 60 pounds or so.

Main thing is they are clamp lamps so take up far less desk space - fold flat against the wall when not in use.
In fact currently clamped to window sill behind my desk - its a nice wooden windowsill - quite solid.

so if your wall suddenly had a shelf - one could be clamped to it without using up much space on it.

the light is great. even with the daylight bulb in the room, these really make a big difference.

Probably did not need to get both but  ::)

mentioned on another thread, is some jewelry trays, and other storage, that are an Idea I am keeping an eye on for the future stealing thereof -  already checked I can get them in the UK - expect you can find a local supplier easily also :)

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=96546.0

Those look good. And yeah, clamp lamps are definitely my first priority. However, this is complicated by the missus not wanting me to just throw in any old, ugly light.
I may be able to get away with the second one, though!

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 03:47:25 AM »
If you can move the table to the right 10" or so, you could put a full height bookcase against the left wall.

I have some 3 drawer 12"x12" plastic storage cabinets. You may be able to fit those two high and two wide under the table.

Look in craft or sewing shops. They will often have decent looking storage cabinets/drawer units you could put at the back of the table.

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 01:50:54 PM »
Hi - for your lighting I would try IKEA, they have some clamp on angle lights that in the UK are about £8 plus bulbs, I paid about £30 for 2 lamps and daylight bulbs and they look quite nice and good light.

see the post 10 Dec by Armchair general the reply from snitchy has a link to the ones I am talking about. sorry I can't do the link :?

For storage you could use the Really Useful Boxes, they are sold all over in the UK so I would expect you can get them in Sweeden, I get all my paints and brushes in one of the 9L A4 size ones with the top tray. They stack well are solid and not too expensive.

I have started using my Dads old bureau desk as a paint station, the upright sort with a drop down front, and 3 drawers in it. you should be able to get one at a 2nd hand shop for not alot of money or if you are feeling flush they will have something similar in IKEA. No I don't work for them. lol

Offline StreetBushido

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 04:40:24 PM »
Thanks for the ideas!

The next step is to, as recommended, move my work table to the side and get a bookcase in beside it. That way I can store stuff in the bookcase and keep my work space actually clear enough to work!

Offline StreetBushido

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 09:46:36 PM »
I'm coming to realize that I have accumulated a decent collection of paints. Mostly Vallejo stuff after I replaced all my dried up GW stuff.

What I'm also coming to realize is that I need some clever way to store all of them. Currently, I have them just shoved into a low cardboard box. A bit like a small shoe box. I think it once contained minis.

Any recommendations on a good way to store paints? The market seems clogged with paint stands, so it's hard to choose!

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 08:56:50 AM »

Nail varnish stands or ikea picture shelves come to mind as cheaper options, as have been mentioned on other threads

More comments and ideas here for instance

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=93196.0