Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:17:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Big Robot and built in 2 handed ranged  (Read 1406 times)

Offline Corvus5200

• Assistant
Big Robot and built in 2 handed ranged
« on: January 10, 2017, 09:18:22 PM »
With a big or a huge robot can you have a built in 2 HD weapon occupying one hand?  I see that the outsized weapons flow in the other direction (Big 1 handed being a 2HD for a medium), but couldn't find in the opposite direction. 

I've got a big robot with a great cannon as an arm.  I thought it would be weird if it was just the same as if he had a little pistol.

Offline Corvus5200

• Assistant
Re: Big Robot and built in 2 handed ranged
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 12:33:27 PM »
Am I getting no replies because my question isn't clear or because it's overly simple and I seem lazy?  Or do I smell.

It's the smell, isn't it?

Dang.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 12:47:40 PM »
House Rule it.

He is a big robot - so two handed one hand no problem. stat it as two hand damage etc, but let him use it one handed.

Maybe with a slight penalty if opponent  does not like it - but hey thats why cannons have big bases on them and a big robot is just another big base, like a tank.

It mainly is up to you, flexibility of the rules, play and modify to suit your style and how you feel it should work.

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 06:31:09 PM »
I would take Extra Arms for 2XP - it's not like the robot literally has 4 arms, but rather the Trait just represents in this case that each of the robot's two arms has the strength of two normal arms.

Of course that is best if you want the robot to also have Ambidexterity in order to dual-wield two 2-handed weapons.

EDIT - Nope, Andrea himself reminded me that Ambidexterity only covers 1-handed weapons!

I think you can just give a robot (or cyborg for that matter) a built-in 2-handed weapon. The only thing is, the Character must keep the other hand free and functional in order to use that built-in weapon.

EDIT - Nope, Cyber Weapon also specifies 1-handed weapons only. So the remaining solution is to take Torso Weapon Mount. Bonus: actually requires no hands!

As to the weapon size issue - I'm not sure you have that quite right: The exception is, a Character can use a 1-handed melee weapon made for someone one size larger than herself using two hands at -1 mod. Otherwise, outsized weapons are of no use. I'm not sure whether "outsized" here also covers undersized but in any case, the relevant exception only covers 1-handed melee weapons.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 07:43:06 PM by Manchu »

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 07:48:34 PM »
RE: weapon size - here's the conversation between Andrea and I:

Me:

Is there any "undersized" weapons rule corresponding to the one covering outsized weapons? For example, if a Character with the Big Trait were to pick up a 2-handed melee weapon, would she treat it as 1-handed? Would there be a negative? Would the analysis change if it was a ranged weapon?

Andrea:

It's something that I have avoided because it opens a series of cans of worms :-) imagine a weapon designed for an alien race with two opposable thumbs, with the trigger mechanism activated by both fingers. Even if the weapon is the right size for a human, can a human use it? What about another alien who has pliable pseudopods? Can he use it?

Size is a similar situation. So I guess players should agree on this according to the body shapes represented by the miniatures.

Me:

My thought was, to the extent that the weapons are balanced against each other, having larger Characters able to dual wield standard-sized 2-handed weapons causes issues.

Andrea:

I was more worried about characters picking up weapons in game from ooa opponents and picking up weapons that make no sense in their hands.