Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:40:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Expanse- Netflix  (Read 9094 times)

Offline Dezmond

• Scientist
Re: The Expanse- Netflix
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2017, 10:42:45 AM »
Er, I'm a bit rusty but 0.2918/46=157.64 so the original model is 1/157.64 scale
157.64/270=0.5838

So you need to print the model at 58.38% size. Is that right?

Offline Dezmond

• Scientist
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2017, 01:06:50 PM »
do you want a print dez?

Sure! :-)

I'm in the UK if it matters.

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2017, 02:07:03 PM »
 Watched the full series now and cant wait for more.A very well thought out series which is well written and has a great cast.

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2017, 02:44:33 PM »
Just a note that I couldnt find this on Netflix in the USA as of Jan 2017. The first season is currently on Amazon Prime however...

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2017, 05:40:54 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation :)
Watched the first three episodes - rather good. Really like the bits in space / aboard ship. Thought the initial episode with the ice-collecting ship was very well done. Found the scenes on the space station/asteroid Ceres, a bit less well done - kind of sub-Bladerunnerish gloom and grunge, but mostly reminiscent / derivative of the original Total Recall (never saw the remake) with its rebellious underclass of workers and mutants in an industrialised, dystopian off-world sink estate...
Also the lead hard-boiled detective is such a hoary old cliché, it feels like a bit of a cop out (haha) - kind of wish they'd gone for something a little bit less predictable. But I guess that's down to the novel(s) the programme is based on.
Overall, enjoying it.
Will inhale a few more episodes tonight :)

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2017, 10:23:01 PM »
Gave up after two Expanse novels. Thought it was all re-fried tropes: i.e. the hard boiled detective with soft spot for missing dame, the plucky colonist/Belters vs the oppressive UN Earth government. The quirky roguish spaceship crew caught in the middle. The secret bio-weapon that makes hive mind zombies in space...  Once the basics were established, I knew exactly what was going to happen. That said, there's more than your average depth to the plot so I think the story makes for a good SF show. It's better TV than book - if that makes sense - and I'm looking forward to the next season at Amazon.

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2017, 10:58:38 PM »
Awesome series and reasonably close to the novels (First season adapted most of the first).  I agree with tomcat51 that Bobby looks too pretty but so does Amos :P ;  It's television.  The screenwriters did a solid job of interpreting the characters but made them less nuanced than their print counterparts.  Well worth watching and I'm quite eager for season 2.

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2017, 03:38:31 AM »
Ahh... apologies. I thought folks had read the books. So... yeah.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2017, 10:42:18 AM »
I'm binging it this weekend. Only 2 more episodes of season 1 to go. I'm loving it... 8)

As for the detective: I was immediately reminded of Sean Connery in Outland, although I admit it was a long time ago I saw it.

The parallels with Total Recall are obvious of course. But there are lots of tropes throughout which, for me at least, do not detract from the big picture.

I might go for the books next...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline tomcat51

• Scientist
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2017, 11:57:34 AM »

I might go for the books next...
You won't be disappointed if you do.
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2017, 12:14:59 PM »
Finished Leviathan Wakes and part deux is on its way to me right now. 8)

That was a cracking read and I must admit that it was just as well that I saw the series first, because it would have been impossible to live up to the book. It still did a stellar job though and I've enjoyed it immensely; I've seen much, much worse screen adaptations and I will absolutely be watching season 2.

I think Agis has the right of it though; this is prime tabletop skirmish material! :D

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2017, 04:18:55 PM »
...I think Agis has the right of it though; this is prime tabletop skirmish material! :D

LOL, I am already tinkering with my Future Combat rules.
Mixing it up with some of the Raid! rules and you have instant ultraskirmish (squadlevel) combat.
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - https://www.adpublishing.de

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2017, 08:19:02 PM »
Having been on holiday for a week, I inhaled books 2 and 3, 'Caliban's War' and 'Abaddon's Gate'. Very good, albeit very very strongly American in flavour - a little too much oo-rah-ness in places. But gripping for all that.

A word of warning though. If you're picking up the books (like I did) to follow on from the TV series, be warned that the TV series only covers the first half of Book One, 'Leviathan Wakes'.
I was a little way into Caliban's War before realising that I'd missed the second half of the story of book one - although, to be fair, it's fairly easy to get the gist of what happened in the missing part that I hadn't seen or read...

Offline chromedog

• Librarian
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2017, 06:11:12 AM »
The FIRST season mainly covers the first half, yes.
There's bits of book 2 as well as Leviathan wakes in season2.  Needless to say, if you've already read the books, some things won't be a surprise, but they way they do them might.

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2017, 08:54:31 AM »
I enjoyed the way they mixed the books into the series, this even after reading all books the TV show still holds enough surprises.