Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:09:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: [Terrain] A simple shed [Completed]  (Read 1818 times)

Offline StreetBushido

• Bookworm
[Terrain] A simple shed [Completed]
« on: January 14, 2017, 04:25:25 PM »
It's been a good long while (far too long) since I last scratch built some terrain. Recently I got that itch again, and so as a warmup exercise I started to build a simple little wooden shack. The idea is to get it to look a bit ramshackle while still being in use.

First step was making a few rough sketches. After that came detailed drawings.

I've learnt that when I'm working with terrain, the drawings never quite survive contact with reality. But it's still good to have something to refer back to.

Next, some of the materials! The base is a 2mm thick piece of MDF. In the picture it's covered by a thin layer of gesso, mostly because I wanted to try out gesso and see if it would cause any warpage. Unlikely given the small size of the piece.

Missed photographing a few steps, but here we've come a bit along the way. You may also notice that I've applied some spackle to the base to give it a bit of shape and character.

All the roof supports were notched to fit into each other. A bit overkill for a ramshackle shed, but I wanted to try out the idea.

Added horizontal supports and some vertical planking attached to that.

I've been playing around with the Cavern Accessory Mold from Hirst Arts, and some of those pieces fit right into this little shed!

« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 09:40:04 PM by StreetBushido »

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: [Terrain] A simple shed
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 04:36:32 PM »
Great little build  :)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline StreetBushido

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 06:32:35 PM »
Great little build  :)

cheers

James

Thanks!

Now when I'm getting back into the swing of things, I've got some thoughts and questions at large.

The roof will be done in shingles. Although I can't decide if it's going to be wooden shingles or some other material (slate?). I don't have any balsa thin enough for that: 2mm, like the planks, would look to thick, I think. I've got plenty of 1mm card for slate, though.

While it's a bit late for this project, does anybody have any good advice for how to distress balsa wood? I tried using a steel wire brush once, but I felt that it was a bit too hardcore and distressed the wood too much. Maybe a finer brush?

To give the planks a bit of character I usually (as I have done here) just carve them a bit and make a few dents and scratches. It would be nice to bring out the grain a bit more. Or at least simulate a more visible grain than the natural one.

I'm also wondering about painting interesting wood colours. I've had alright success in the past, but I want to try something new. What with the boxes and sacks that'll stand inside the shed, I'd like to avoid just having 50 shades of brown.

Since it's an old shed, maybe the planks have gone grey as driftwood? Or maybe it was once painted in some particular colour, but it's almost all chipped away now? Thoughts?

Any good resources on getting nice wood results?

How about staining?

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 07:19:01 PM »
Nice bit of proper craftsmanship  8) :-*

I've got some weathered wood on this page here, that might be helpful:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=96422.0

Images at top of page, colours at bottom.
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline StreetBushido

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 10:22:35 PM »
Nice bit of proper craftsmanship  8) :-*

I've got some weathered wood on this page here, that might be helpful:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=96422.0

Images at top of page, colours at bottom.

Thanks! Looks really good! I'll give something like that a try.

Offline SBRPearce

• Mad Scientist
    • "The Cellar-Dweller" blog
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 11:58:26 PM »
Another "recipe" for aging wood to that soft grey is to make a batch of "wood wash": India ink and rubbing alcohol in a 1:5 solution. Paint your pieces before assembling the structure, since most glues will act as a resist and any area covered by glue squeeze-out will remain blonde and bright and new-looking.

Some model railroaders add a drop or two of brown ink to the mix - see what looks good to you. (A dark brown ink in a 1:3 ratio with alcohol makes a good "creosote" mix, like you sometimes see on preserved timbers.)
from Mr.Vampire: "It's the paintjob that makes the miniature fight harder not the size."

Offline StreetBushido

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 08:58:20 PM »
Progress!

Private Boris on the job as shed guard!

Missed photographing a few steps. Here I've added some stones and sand to the base to give it some character. Ended up a lot stonier than I thought it would, but I'm sure it'll be fine. Also basecoated everything black.

The extra elements got simple paintjobs. Turns out that the plaster I used stained really well with just a simple coating of a wash.

Offline StreetBushido

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 09:54:20 AM »
Not pictured is the mess that happened when my Vallejo black paint exploded! The nozzle was clogged, and my brain must've been as well because my solution to this was to keep squeezing until the clog got pushed out. Instead, the whole nozzle popped out, together with a huge splash of pigment rich, black paint.

Cue a panic as the missus and I struggled to clean up the surroundings, and my clothes...

Lesson learned, the harsh way.

Offline StreetBushido

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 08:16:14 PM »
And now it's done!

A few things were still drying at this point, but I couldn't contain myself.