Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:38:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Afterglow: Wastelanders Set Unboxing  (Read 2135 times)

Offline RedGobbo

• Bookworm
Afterglow: Wastelanders Set Unboxing
« on: January 15, 2017, 01:40:59 PM »
Afterglow Wastelanders Starter Set was on of my christmas presents. It was my first contact with AG minis and I was so positively suprised I decided to create this little unboxing thread. I am not affiliated with the manufacturer in any way beside that we are living in the same country. So please don't treat this as an advertisment. I think this set has a really nice "post apo" vibe and some of you may be interested in learning more about AG minis. All the pictures were taken by phone so some of them are a bit blurry.

I believe Afterglow is skirmish post apo game with free rules. I will use my new Wastelanders as a part of Caraveneers and Raiders warbands for TNT but if you are interested you can read more about AfterGlow here.

So back to the starter set, box looks pretty standard:

Inside you will find 5 miniatures, each in separate plastic zip bag, 5 standard, round 25mm bases (same as Games Workshop) and two pieces of foam for protection. It would be nice to add some flyer with basic info about the game and the faction.

I have almost zero experience with resin miniatures, I always prefered metal minis and always considered resin as a bit to fragile. Having no comparison I can't judge quality but I haven't found any air bubbles, miscast etc. Sculpt quality looks really nice and minis are very detailed.

In Wastelanders Set you will find

1 x Tradesman
1 x Pit Fighter
3 x Wastelander Looter (3 different variants).

Tradesman is the reason I wanted this set, this guy will be my TNT Caravaneers leader. I especially love the backpack part. The umbrella piece looks like inspired by old Copplestone/Grenadier Scavenger Gentelman.

Pit Fighter is my least favourite miniature from this set but it will still be a nice addition to my Raiders warband/gang.

Three looters are also neat sculpts which can be used in various post apo games/warbands.

Scale comparison

I also prepared some scale comparison pics, on the far left you will find Afterglow miniature and then (from left to right): Copplestone Savage (Grenadier), Necromunda Cawdor Ganer (Games Workshop), old Warzone miniature (dont remember the name), WH40k Catachan Jungle Fighter (Games Workshop), Neuroshima Tactics Ranger.

Price

Price for the Wastelanders Set is 36,25€ or 32,25Ł so I think it's pretty standard. You can find it in official manufacturers webstore here.

Offline clanmac

• Mad Scientist
  • Danger - Stupid and Industrious
    • Clan Mac's Post Apocalyptia
Re: Afterglow: Wastelanders Set Unboxing
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 02:25:41 PM »
Very helpful review and I hadn't seen these - many thanks. I agree the trader is great. Might have to invest for him alone.
Mac

It's not big, or clever, but let's do it anyway

https://www.facebook.com/Junkt0wn/

Offline RedGobbo

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 08:53:04 PM »
Yes, I believe every miniature from this set is also available as a single.

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 02:36:48 AM »
Nice looking set; I'd never heard of the setting but most of those models look quite good.  You nailed it as far as the assessment of the models.  No wonder you wanted it when you saw that trader; That bowler and pack are bang on and the face would be loads of fun to paint.  The pit fighter does look awkward and his mask is very boring.  The other three scavengers are pretty sweet too.  Thanks for sharing them.  Please post more pics when you get them painted.

Offline RedGobbo

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 12:36:07 PM »
Please post more pics when you get them painted.

Thanks but I am not sure if there is a point in spoiling such nice miniature :). My painting skills suck although improving them is my new years resolution for 2017  ;).

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 02:55:05 AM »
@RedGobbo

Don't think like that and sell yourself short!  Remember this;  The saddest miniature is an unpainted one.  Ask any of mine :) .  Excellent resolution for a new year.  Practice, patience (mostly with yourself) and if you like something someone is doing ask them how they did that.

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 04:55:22 PM »
RedGobbo, that was a great review! I wish more reviewers would take the time and effort to include size comparison pictures like you did, really great job! Thank you very much for sharing!  ;)

And those minis are really nice!  :D
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)