Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 07:51:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pictures of the swedish 16:th century army.  (Read 1321 times)

Offline Bushbaby

• Scientist
Pictures of the swedish 16:th century army.
« on: January 14, 2017, 07:35:48 PM »
I just recieved a long sought after book (Gustav Vasa and his people by Göransson) full of illustrations of the swedish military during the 16:th century. This is a period where sources are much scarcer as compared to the 17:th century and the TYW.

Since I am converting a huge GW Empire force (over a 1000 miniatures) to swedish, german and danish forces during the Swedish war of Liberation (1521-1523) and the Northern Seven Years war (1563-1570) this information is priceless to me.

I thought I should share the pictures with you!

Swedish peasant soldiers (top) vs mercenaryt landsknechts during the war of liberation vs Denmark. The swedes used predominantly crossbows, metal harnesses or chain mail, spears or pole axes. The swedish peasant soldiers were bolstered by landsknechts rented by Lübeck.

Ambush by peasants against swedish horse during the Dacke feud, a southern revolt against Swedens first king, Gustav Vasa (His sudden efforts of centralization were  quite unpopular, but laid the foundation for the swedish expansion in Years to come). The insurgents fell trees around the horsemen and attacked with crossbows.

Halberdiers during different decennia.

Armoured horseman. Note that he is both armed with lance and pistol.

Hakeböss (directly translated to "fork gun" or the latinized "arquebus") gunner, pikeman, halberdier and a gunner using a "långrör" (long pipe), perhaps a musket.

Swivel gun and a "piklod" (pike lode) a cannonball supposed to start spinning mid air, causing greater casualties (have not heard about it before). Another thing interesting for the wargamer is the gunwagon, armed with three swivel guns and used in wagon forts.

Pikeman

Musketeer

Rondachier (swedish: Rondellknekt). Armed with sword, shield and pistol (last weapon unknown to me) they skirmished in front of the pikemen aiming to cause a gap in the enemy pike formation and charge home (very similar to mounted pistoliers).

Charging horsemen.

Mercenary german landsknechts. These troops were a substantial part of all scandinavian armies, especially in peace time.

Encampment

"Livgardister" The kings life guard regiment. Initially 16 healthy young men, they later became Stockholms "fänika" (around 500 men).

Halberdier and horseman. As a sidenote, the swedish were the first to use conscription.

These soldiers are armed with lances, which is very interesting as they lenghtvise are of spear length. All swedish soldiers were not armed with pikes, which makes sense, since the dense forests of sweden were ill suited for pikes. Does this mean I can use some empire spearmen whitout converting them all to pikemen? The answer, I unanimously decide, is yes!

Swedish galley in the Baltic Sea during Gustav Vasas war against Russia.

Offline Irregular Wars Nic

• Mad Scientist
    • Visit the Irregular Wars blog:
Re: Pictures of the swedish 16:th century army.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 08:11:33 PM »
Thanks. Really useful source.

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 10:10:13 PM »
Some really interesting photos.
I love to see other counties armies and uniforms from
 1500 to 1700.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 10:38:28 PM by Marine0846 »
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 10:02:11 AM »
Interesting indeed!! Great to see this. :)

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 04:06:19 PM »
Looks like the perfect setting for GW's Empire models.

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 05:06:05 PM »
It's a great resource, I have had it some years. Also wotrh checking and owning are two other similar books by the same author, other about Gustavis Adolphus II and the other about Karoliner, the GNW Swedish army.