Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:29:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Games Workshop policy on BASES  (Read 2803 times)

Offline milostnik

• Student
Games Workshop policy on BASES
« on: January 16, 2017, 03:00:19 PM »
Hey everyone, I cant seem to find any info about Games Workshop and allowing or not allowing of resin bases (made by 3rd party) from being played in store?

Offline The Gray Ghost

• Mastermind
  • Beware The Gray Ghost
Re: Games Workshop policy on BASES
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 03:02:55 PM »
My limited experience with GW policy is that if it's made by 3rd parties it's banned.
I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it anymore and what is it seems weird and scary.

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 03:22:59 PM »
If it's covered up with flock and paint and is of regulation size, no one's going to care...

Offline Davout

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 05:23:10 PM »
I've played with 3rd party bases at a GW, it was not a problem. In fact, my friend plays with 3rd party bits all over his figs and it wasn't a problem.

Offline Von Trinkenessen

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 10:28:57 PM »
I think it depends on 'how much of a gamer the staff member is',or whether they have had the "upgrade" and are purely a GW retail drone. Over the years I have experienced both.
Have been accused of fielding 'non product' is store only to have the visiting area manager congratulate me on the rare old models ( after that used to carry Stuff of legend printouts to prove point).
If their finished nicely and complement the figures I say give it a try and see how you get on.

Offline N.C.S.E

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 09:43:44 AM »
Uh oh, this doesn't sound good given I've based all my Vostroyans on 25mm bases pillaged from Warlord boxsets!  o_o

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 10:13:14 AM »
Have been accused of fielding 'non product' is store only to have the visiting area manager congratulate me on the rare old models ( after that used to carry Stuff of legend printouts to prove point).

I would love to see someone, with a perfectly straight face, field an army of black orcs in a GW store using the original, tiny GW/Chronicle range and the current black orc profiles (or whatever Age of Sigmar uses).

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 02:17:18 AM »
I would love to see someone, with a perfectly straight face, field an army of black orcs in a GW store using the original, tiny GW/Chronicle range and the current black orc profiles (or whatever Age of Sigmar uses).

The local GW aka Warhammer store  - slightly bigger than a master bedroom - is about 15 minutes walking distance and the manager there's cool gamer. Haven't played any games there yet, but bought over $200 in product back in mid October, when it opened, and November. Not sold completely about Age of Sigmar, but it was explained to me that there's nothing to stop one from incorporating rules from previous editions, especially building and terrain rules from WFB 6th, or even playing a previous edition in the store IIRC, though message beforehand - there are two 4 x 6 tables and a half one, since AoS could be played in a smaller area.

According to the AoS General's Handbook, Black Orcs aka Ardboyz could only be fielded in units of max 30, if playing with the Matched Play points system, but no limits if Open Play.    

I've got 48 of these buggers, needing to be prepped and painted, with plans for 12 more, for a eventual total of 60 and glaives converted to pikes with differing heads - inspired by Japanese yari. Since base shape and size doesn't matter in AoS, they'll be on individual 25mm squares and 4 to a 50mm one.

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 02:43:08 AM »
That.
Just keep your mouth shut and don't tell anyone and no one will notice.
It's how I use those former Citadel re-released by Foundry figures... :-X  lol

Brazenly I have deployed old metal Empire Pistoliers on Perry plastic horses without issue... o_o

Though I must say, is that really the kind of gaming environment you want to be part of? I'd say it's time to start looking round and see if you can find an alternative club, or else you're just going to have to put up with that kind of pettiness.
Wouldn't be much of an hobby if there wasn't any pettiness, factional or otherwise, to put up with... ;)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 12:38:01 PM »
According to the AoS General's Handbook, Black Orcs aka Ardboyz could only be fielded in units of max 30, if playing with the Matched Play points system, but no limits if Open Play.    

I've got 48 of these buggers, needing to be prepped and painted, with plans for 12 more, for a eventual total of 60 and glaives converted to pikes with differing heads - inspired by Japanese yari. Since base shape and size doesn't matter in AoS, they'll be on individual 25mm squares and 4 to a 50mm one.

Those are great figures - among the best Nick Lund did (I use them as "red orcs"). But they're two or three times the size of the original Chronicle black orcs:

It's utterly childish of me, but I can't help chuckling at the spectacular nerd rage that fielding a batch of those as "Ardboyz" might provoke! ;)

Offline French

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 02:44:55 AM »
I had GW staff more annoyed by my wood elf tree army (made from jungle trees and sprites from the various kits) then any 3rd party anything I might have had.
Some of my stuff was so old they couldn't tell what was old GW and what was say ral partha.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2017, 11:40:07 AM »
Had the same thing happen to me with my Furibundus pattern RT era Dreadnoughts at a big 40K tournament.

Mind; this was about 10 years ago, so the memory should not have been faded so much that the organising staff had to convene for 5 minutes before a veteran in their ranks finally confirmed that it was indeed an actual GW miniature.

I had a good chuckle over that. lol Much to the chagrin of my 14-ish year old opponent, who had been the one raising the issue. The little *sshat still won the game though... ::)

It's that I don't do tournaments anymore (or play 40K for that matter), but I have a full Necron army consisting completely out of the old 2nd ed. metal minis, plus conversions of those for units that were never made in that style. I think it would elicit the same situation at least once by now... :D
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!