Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:29:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690699
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 1009
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ganesha Games SoBH Game Engine Vehicle Rules????  (Read 1921 times)

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
  • So many ideas, so little time for games...
Ganesha Games SoBH Game Engine Vehicle Rules????
« on: January 18, 2017, 10:52:05 PM »
I have a few of the company's rule systems (MDRG, Fear and Faith) and I am musing about doing some Fear and Faith solo gaming but would REALLY like some vehicle rules to go with them. As I haven't found any, these are my thoughts on the subject.

Manoeuvrability: A vehicle is assigned a rating depending on the 'class', faster more manoeuvrable vehicles have a lower rating.

5+ Slow, difficult to handle vehicles like trucks and buses.
4+ Standard four wheeled vehicles like cars and vans.
3+ Motorcycles, high performance cars, police cars.
2+ Exclusively for top performance vehicles, superbikes, sports cars.

When activating a model driving a vehicle, decide if you wish to move with 1, 2 or 3 dice and roll them. For each success (equal to or over the Manoeuvrability Rating) you move the vehicle 1 Long. However, for EACH 1 you roll on a dice, put a marker by the vehicle and if the vehicle has 3 markers at any point during the game it has run out of petrol/ conked out and is unusable for the reminder of the game.

Control: If the vehicle needs to do a sharp turn or pretty much anything more than moving straight ahead on the road during the movement, the driver needs to take a Quality Test with a single die, the following modifiers apply:

1 Long Move - Unchanged
2 Long Moves - Quality +1
3 Long Moves - Quality +2

It is definitely possible for a driver, swerving like a madman trying not to crash to have to take THREE successive test.

If, at any point during the movement the driver fails the Quality roll, the vehicle crashes and the driver take a Combat Hit equal to the number of Long Moves performed before crashing +1. So if the vehicle travelled 2 Long Moves and crashed the driver takes a C3 Hit. The following modifiers apply:

+1C to the crash Hit - Vehicle light or driver unprotected (motorcycle and sports car for instance)
-1C to the crash Hit - Vehicle heavy or armoured in some way (trucks, lorries, military vehicles)

Stopping: A driver can decide to pull the vehicle to a stop on its activation. Instead of rolling for Manoeuvrability, roll against Quality with a single die. On a success, the vehicle moves 1 Short and comes to a full stop, on a failure the vehicle moves 1 Medium and comes to a stop, on a 6 the vehicle travels 1 Long before stopping. If that causes the vehicle to crash before completing the stop (other vehicles in the way, a fence etc), the driver takes a C2 hit, regardless of what vehicle they are driving.

Heroes Driving: A slight change from the standard rule 'Heroes always succeed on tests with one die,' a Hero still need to roll for the Control of a vehicle but will only fail if the die rolls a 6.
"Who knows what Evil lurks in the heart of men?"
"The Shadow knows!!! Hahahahaha!"

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
Re: Ganesha Games SoBH Game Engine Vehicle Rules????
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 02:46:50 AM »
It would be nice to have vehicle rules in Fear and Faith...I want to do modern Monster Hunters, and vehicles go hand and hand with that.

This looks like a grand start.  I'm also very interested in the solo gaming aspect....I got the rulebook for Christmas, and have had a few readthroughs, but haven't played yet.

Would you mind sharing the basics of the solo play?

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 04:47:10 AM »
Sounds neat.  I've thought a little about vehicle rules recently.  Mostly as I'm building vehicles so nothing concrete or system specific.  Depending on complexity you may want to look at speed and handling independently of one another.  The other thing to consider is the driver and their skill or lack of being part of the formulation.  As a starting point I dug ot my old Gorkamorka books but haven't actually got around to reading them.  If I was actually building a rule set for involved combat driving with Road Warrior style boardings I'd be wondering about driver turns/interrupts and "cruise" speeds that stop-motion down an endless highway that's only about 4 feet long.  Some day I will find the time or better yet you will throw back and share more of your own ideas so I can learn more from what others are thinking. 

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 07:02:34 AM »
It would be nice to have vehicle rules in Fear and Faith...I want to do modern Monster Hunters, and vehicles go hand and hand with that.

This looks like a grand start.  I'm also very interested in the solo gaming aspect....I got the rulebook for Christmas, and have had a few readthroughs, but haven't played yet.

I have played some other of Ganesha Games rulesets in the past, they are nice, easy to grasp and fast and fun. I will most likely post a batrep of some sort later today, so no worries  lol.

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 07:05:09 AM »
Sounds neat.  I've thought a little about vehicle rules recently.  Mostly as I'm building vehicles so nothing concrete or system specific.  Depending on complexity you may want to look at speed and handling independently of one another.  The other thing to consider is the driver and their skill or lack of being part of the formulation.  As a starting point I dug ot my old Gorkamorka books but haven't actually got around to reading them.  If I was actually building a rule set for involved combat driving with Road Warrior style boardings I'd be wondering about driver turns/interrupts and "cruise" speeds that stop-motion down an endless highway that's only about 4 feet long.  Some day I will find the time or better yet you will throw back and share more of your own ideas so I can learn more from what others are thinking. 

Thank you. Being a quite simple rule system at the core, I didn't want anything complicated, I'll have a test play and see how it'll all work out.

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 07:39:08 AM »
Looking forward to it.  I probably am over-complicating it in my head.  A streamlined/fluid rule set that functions effectively is a great basis to work from.  Complications can be tacked on to see if they add more flavor or just unenjoyable math/crunch.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 10:04:04 AM »

Thirded on vehicle rules :)

There are some ideas on playing SoBH solo here. It deals more with the "classic" SoBH engine, not sure how it would work with the new one

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 10:44:31 AM »
Thirded on vehicle rules :)

There are some ideas on playing SoBH solo here. It deals more with the "classic" SoBH engine, not sure how it would work with the new one

Great! I'll have a play and post some AAR thoughts then :)!

I usually prefer to play 'both' sides making up the story, but as the engine works the same (1-3 actions) the colour coded dice should work wonders for the side I don't actively make choices for. Thank you for that.

The only slight worry I have is that considering the table is only 3'x3' that the vehicles might be able to travel too far in a turn, maybe I decide to string the movement sticks together before plonking down the vehicle at the END of the movement... we'll see.

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 06:32:48 PM »
I had a little test play with the SoBH engine and the vehicle rules as I've written them above I found worked satisfactory enough.

To get into a car and start it up (unless otherwise decided pre-game) takes one Activation.

Once a vehicle is started up, it doesn't take ANY Activation to keep it going! Effectively it takes all (and none) of the drivers Activations to drive, so you simple announce that the model is Activated and roll for Manoeuvrability, unless the vehicle has Stopped, in which case it takes the driver one Activation to get the vehicle started again.

Of course, if you've rolled a Turnover BEFORE activating the driver, the vehicle doesn't move!

A slight clarification: when deciding and rolling dice (1-3) for Manoeuvrability you MUST take the rolled number of moves.

If you decide to roll 3 dice and pass all you can't only make one move!!! You have effectively announced that you are going flat out at 180MPH so can't then suddenly turn around and say "actually, I was only joking, I'm only doing 30!!!"

I had a little stab at firing from a moving vehicle in the last round of the game as well, and I think a simple -1 for the shooter will do the trick.

If the driver is Recoiled/ Knocked Down, the Control Test will be at a further +1 Quality.

A Killed driver leads to the vehicle continuing at the same Manoeuvrability as the last time until either a passenger spends TWO consecutive Activations (both in the same round) to pull the dead driver away and slam on the brakes OR an obstacle in the way, which in that case will lead to a crash!

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2017, 07:40:20 AM »

Legionnaire, check out this GREAT set of vehicle rules for the F&F/Song of... engine:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=77697.0

;)
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)