Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:21:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Raid on Deerfield, 1704 <-- more photos!  (Read 4761 times)

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
Raid on Deerfield, 1704 <-- more photos!
« on: January 19, 2017, 04:30:57 AM »

A painting of the Raid on Deerfield, Massachusetts in 1704

Hi everyone!

Our event that my friends and I will be running at various conventions this year is "Raid on Deerfield, 1704." This French & Indian raid on a sleeping Massachusetts town occurred in the dead of winter during Queen Anne's War. Snowdrifts had accumulated against the palisades, allowing the Indians to climb the walls and then open the gate for the rest of the force. Our convention game will feature the interior of the town divided into four quarters. Each 3'x3' quarter will pit a French & Indian player against the townsfolk in man-to-man (and woman?) skirmish using our Song of Drums and Tomahawks rules.

If you are going to be in the area of Dayton, Ohio, I encourage you to join us for the first running at DayCon Game Day () on Feb. 18. We will run it at 1 pm and 6 pm. Check out the convention site if you're interested in pre-registering to guarantee your spot!
http://www.daycongaming.com/

Expect more photos on this thread as I set it up and do test-runs (as well as painting additional troops and terrain!).

The raiders on their way to Deerfield

Link to our website featuring Song of Drums and Tomahawks rules:http://www.firstcommandwargames.com/published-rules/song-of-drums-and-tomahawks.html

Mike Demana
www.firstcommandwargames.com
http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/

« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 04:31:33 AM by mikedemana »

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
Re: Raid on Deerfield, 1704, convention game
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 05:20:15 AM »
Love it, wish I could be there for the game! I have been to Deerfield itself.
LB
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 04:05:12 PM »
Awesome! There's just something about Black Powder games done in the snow  :)

Offline michaelsbagley

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 06:42:59 PM »
Since it is within an hour's drive... and on a weekend I don't have plans/obligations, and it encompasses one of my favourite histrical eras (and specifically, an event I have reenacted at the original site)... I am going to try to make this one!

Thanks for the heads up!
If I knew who the evil genius was, I wouldn't need a diabolical plot to find him...

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 08:21:47 AM »
Great scenario, lots of photos please ;D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline dave@noquartergiven

• Student
    • NH Wargamer Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 01:50:03 PM »
It's a great scenario, I've been running it using the Engarde  ruleset since last Fall.  I have tons of research if you need any help setting it up.

https://www.facebook.com/MADDDWargaming/posts/275907022825841:0
"I hastily bid them [his soldiers] pull it down, and knock them on the head, never asking whether they were French or Indians; they being all enemies alike to me." ~ Benjamin Church, 1704

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2017, 03:34:17 PM »
Thanks, everyone! Sorry to take so long to reply. Between school, work on setting up the scenario, and my entry into the LAF's Build Something contest, I haven't had much chance to read posts on the forum.  lol

Michael, I look forward to having you in the game! I'm honored you are planning on attending to play.

Dave, I will be contacting you today! Thanks for offering to share your research...

The first playtest is tomorrow night. I should have pics and some reflection then...

Mike Demana

Offline zippyfusenet

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2017, 06:58:57 PM »
I'm also looking forward to you running this game, Mike. Next Saturday! Of course it's no great honor for me to attend, I show up and make a pest of myself all the time. lol
You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2017, 12:29:33 AM »
Two weeks, my friend! Don't take away a week of my preparation!!  lol lol

Mike Demana

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2017, 04:38:46 AM »

My playtesters gather to try out the Raid on Deerfield, 1704, scenario

My buddies and I got together for a playtest this evening. I had to alter the board layout to fit the table size we had. At the convention, it will be on a 6'x6' square table with four sectors all within the walls of the palisade. Tonight, I laid out three of the 3'x3' boards side by side so that my six players would all have a chance to test it out.

A look at the board, which represents the town inside the stockade

The playtest went well. I think I will increase the force sizes a tad. Also, we did run into one scenario rules conundrum. What to do about troops and women/children who are inside of a building, surrounded by French & Indians, that fail morale? Under the rules, they should flee. But where? Running out of a building you are defending into the waiting arms of an enemy makes no sense. We had a couple suggestions. One is to have them surrender. Another would be to have them try to scramble out the windows if the door is blocked by enemy. A third was to have them immune to morale failures. I'll chew that one over for awhile and come up with a fix in time for the convention.

The French and Indian raiders begin to batter down the doors to cabins to capture townsfolk

Here are some photos of the game. I created these flocked felt boards this weekend. You can't see it in the photos, but I used "glitter felt," which gives a slight sparkle of light reflecting off the snow. Nothing to overstated, but subtle enough to add some color.

Some stalwart townsfolk fight back against the raiders from the shelter of a woodpile

Some captive women and children are led away by Indian raiders

Mike Demana

Offline zippyfusenet

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2017, 12:31:27 PM »
Oh. Ah. This is gonna be great. Two weeks.

Offline wsurugby10

• Lurker
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 06:32:27 AM »
I wish I could have been there. Excited to start playing this game.
Dan Ketterman

Offline GamesPoet

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 01:37:39 PM »
I like the scenery!

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2017, 01:39:21 AM »
All packed up and ready for the game tomorrow! My friends finished off some more buildings, women, and children, so more stuff for the Indian raiders to pillage...

Hope to post some pics tomorrow or Sunday...

Mike Demana

Offline zippyfusenet

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2017, 02:23:58 PM »
Great game Mike, it looked and played every bit as well as I was hoping. You were very patient to tolerate my long cross-examination about the SODT rules. In light of yesterday's game, I'd say that you were right about how some things work, I'll have to try those tricks in my own game room. If Mike takes this Deerfield game on  the road to other cons, definitely grab a ticket, guys. My crummy photos don't do the game justice, but here are a few of them anyway.

Here's GM Mike Demana, surveying his fully dressed table with understandable satisfaction:

Here is a broader view of Deerfield town. I can see why you came up with an urban scenario Mike, you have so many gosh-darn great looking buildings and doo-dads, let's put 'em on the table and play with them:

Here is what I thought was the masterpiece, a burning cabin lit by flickering, battery-powered votive candles that Mike taped to the windows. Whatta model, whatta model: