Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 06:38:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Best System to Play Judge Dredd RPG  (Read 720 times)

Offline Grey Panda

• Librarian
    • War In Black & White
Best System to Play Judge Dredd RPG
« on: January 28, 2017, 12:30:02 AM »
So I've been tempted with breaking back into Mega City-One before but I usually get side tracked or confused by which system to use.

I played the GW system in my youth and while I loved the game (probably more than anything I've played since) yet I think it really was down to the setting. I'm an unapologetic fan of 2001ad especially Joe Dredd.

The GW system is fine but I'd really like to try something a little grittier with exciting combat and an initiative activation a little less clunky than the GW version.

I aware of at least two further conceptions of a JD RPG since... both by Mongoose: d20 version and a module for the Traveler system.

I've read pretty nasty things about the d20 one so I'm more interested in the Traveler. What I've discovered in my investigations is that the Traveler system is excellent in its own right but what it really excels at is in creating characters while its combat isn't as dynamic as some one like it. This would be a turn off for me.

Apart from combat my earlier games/scenarios of JD did have a certain 'Call of Cthulhu' feel to them. With an obvious restriction to character development and freedom of career that the Judges are faced with (in most cases at least ;) ) I felt the games required a little more detective/suspense feel to them. The setting IMO is perfect for this with lots of room for humour and adventure.

I've ordered quite a lot of minis so I'm committed to the project at last but I'd really like to settle on a system before ordering anything.

I'm not familiar while the sci-fi genre at all so I'd really appreciate any help. I also remember Weasel (Ivan) mentioning developing something that might suit the theme.

Thanks for your time and please let me know any suggestions ((or thoughts) if feel might work.
“The most colorful thing in the world is black and white, it contains all colors and at the same time excludes all.”

http://warpanda.blogspot.ca

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: Best System to Play Judge Dredd RPG
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 06:49:28 AM »
One thread on this topic, please: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=97484