Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:00:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Multi-player Pulp Alley: what are your experiences  (Read 2828 times)

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
Re: Multi-player Pulp Alley: what are your experiences
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2017, 07:01:55 AM »
When I want to just run a quick Pulp Alley demo I'll usually reduce the number of characters per league to 3 or 4.

For 5-6 player games, the biggest adjustment I make it to ensure the scenario very straightforward.

If I'm doing a game with 2-3 players, then it is fun to throw in all kind of crazy stuff and do a special scenario. For me, that's the stuff that bogs down the bigger games so I try to avoid the temptation of adding in special rules if there are 5+ players.

I've done up to 8 full leagues at one time. Although it was smooth and went well, it really took too way much energy and focus to be enjoyable for me and I don't want to do that many again. As a gamemaster, the maximum number of players I am comfortable with is 6.

Some random tips in no particular order...

> Most players should avoid 5+ player games until you are very comfortable with the rule. Simply because you are going to have much more fun if you avoid jumping right into big games. For me, 2-3 players is the sweet spot.

> As gamemaster, your #1 job is simply keeping track of who has the Initiative and encouraging them to stay focused on directing the game. If you do this with alacrity, the game is probably going swimmingly. If you don't stay focused on this, then the wheels are assuredly coming off.

> If you have 5+ new players, it is a good idea to limit the number of characters to 3-4 per league.

> If you have 5+ players, it is a good idea to play on a 4'x4' or maybe even 4'x5'. Be aware that the game is probably going to break down into different sections with 2-3 leagues in each pocket. Note, since this is going to happen anyway - a much better option is to simply have two separate games going (if you can make it fit).

> I recommend using character cards and encouraging players to place counters on their cards rather than on the tabletop.

> If I have 5+ players I will usually shuffle two Fortune Decks together, so the players are not running through the cards too fast. But you may want to limit certain cards, such as Parley to only one card.

That's all for now. G'nite all!

HAVE FUN