Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:38:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691030
  • Total Topics: 118364
  • Online Today: 745
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Saga of Argonors Bees – The Honey Trap - A Game Report  (Read 3700 times)

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
Re: The Saga of Argonors Bees – The Honey Trap - A Game Report
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2017, 06:50:31 PM »
 ichwillauch, Globlin, ThomO, Harry Faversham,  Treebeard, marianas_gamer,  Marine0846 Thanks very much for your comments, it took ages to write and collate all the photos, but I enjoyed that almost as much as the game. I know I tend to drone on a bit with my game reports but it is the story that makes it interesting for me, but I'm sure it can be boring for a lot of folk. So it's nice that someone got something out of it.

But never ever burn before you plunder. It is a rookie mistake to make. So I forgive you as this was a first game...
They had a damn good talking to when they got back to the boat, they know that they let the side down. :D

And the rules sound interesting ... ?
You are going to think me a complete light weight. Usually I use 2 Hour Wargames rules with my amendments and they work well for small numbers, 20 or so but less is better. However because I was expecting something like 50 to 60 figures to eventually turn up and because I did not have room on the table for the ring binder I wrote some rules before playing - based on 2HW but fitting on 1/3 A4 sheet of paper. The scenario was on the other 2/3.
It isn't quite that simplistic because there is stuff I know and so didn't need to write it down but still very simple. Covers movement, fighting, shooting, and morale with a couple of things specific to the scenario, such as drinking the ale instead of destroying the barrels. Playing solo I resolve anything as I go along, although not much needed resolving.
I was quite pleased with the fighting bit because with so many individual combats to resolve, it needed to be quick and simple and I was happy with the results. I do roll a lot of dice but that seems to give a more even result than 1 or 2 die.

What rules are you using for this? A game where you win by rolling low on D6s could be my break-through  lol
Yes it does seem counter to every thing we have ever done but it's only a number. lol lol

I must know, who makes this model of the lass being carried off, and where can I find it:
It must be mine!

Sorry GA I don't know. The figures on the penny bases were painted late 1970's early 80's, most of them are mini figs, Lamming, and Garrison. I have a few from other less well known manufacturers that I do not know who they are and this is one.  :?

They are no doubt speaking of Argonor in Valhalla this night.
Yes and I expect he's glad not to be having a first hand conversation with them. lol lol

I was really worried at one point that he was going to be surrounded by that bunch of big blokes, because how was I going to explain to Argonor that he was dead :'( :'(

Oh and I just noticed that one of the banners features Rřde Orm (red worm/snake/dragon. Orm can really mean a lot of things in Scandinavian).

The most famous of Vikings.

You have to get extra credit for that.

You are such a nice man :D I thought Dr Zombie was the most famous of Vikings ;)

Only thing is I find this part:
and of course gained renown as a lucky leader
somewhat unrealistic  lol

Affun all I can say is that 3/4 of the way through the game I thought I've buggered up the balance of the scenario Argonor doesn't stand a chance, and then he pulled it out of the hat and won a great victory. I know it was a draw, but who is going to say otherwise, the Uppsala men ran off home, and it's Argonors saga. lol lol
It sounds like you know him, so don't forget he knows where you live and these are his words “Raiding the bee-keeper's homestead for mead is an obvious thing to do - but I should probably warn you, that this brewer has swords, shield, mail tunic, and a Gjermundbu-helmet (and a well-sized beard to show his status as an old warrior)” I don't think you should tangle with him.
And I still don't know what a Gjermundbu-helmet is but it sounds fearsome. ;) especially on a dark night.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2017, 08:17:00 PM »
It sounds like you know him,

Affun does, indeed! We have had some good time together at the Horisont convention, and he was at Argonor's Attic Attack III in 2015. The gaming community in Denmark is not very large, so most of us meet each other at some point  lol
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 06:40:52 PM by Argonor »
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Axebreaker

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2017, 02:31:23 PM »
Excellent looking game! 8)

Christopher

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2017, 09:00:03 PM »
Splendid game  8) 8) 8)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2017, 09:27:29 PM »
Vagabond, its an AMAZING table and very fun AAR, CONGRATULATIONS!  ;)
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2017, 12:27:32 AM »
 :-* :-* :-*
Lovelly AAR and scenario.

Offline Tordenkuglen

• Bookworm
  • Tordenkuglen aka Thunderball
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2017, 11:32:24 AM »
Great reading a great story with a great table and a great battle to back it all up, enjoyed it greatly, and will look forward to next time :D
Playing or wanting to play: FoW, Swordpoint, Saga, Donny Brook, Sharp Practice, Soldiers of God, Trafalgar, Check your Six, Hail Caesar, Pike n Shotte, Black Powder and much more. main interests in wargaming periods is between Iron and Black Powder.

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2017, 12:07:56 AM »
Thanks guys, its encouraging to hear that you enjoyed the report, as I enjoyed writing it.

Many years ago I bought some rules for medieval warfare and a campaign system for colonising an island form a very nice man called bill Lamming, is my intention to try and run this as a solo dark ages campaign, which is why I've been building the village.

I did try this one before and it led to lots of small battles so I'm hoping it will do so again and so if there are any interesting ones I will have another go at posting here.
Cheers

Offline Gracchus Armisurplus

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2017, 12:44:20 AM »
Why so much solo gaming though? Surely there's a like-minded individual somewhere near to you that would like to participate?