Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 07:15:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689773
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Golden Triangle Wargaming  (Read 3955 times)

Offline Viper4Dan

• Librarian
  • There is only success and opportunity, not failure
Golden Triangle Wargaming
« on: January 22, 2017, 08:33:59 PM »
Over the years I've been accused of purposely picking a period that nobody else (or very few people) seem to game, finding that there are, understandably, no figures designed specifically for it, then converting figures and creating rules to suite my fancy. “Guilty as charged, your Honor”. My scale of choice is 28mm, and my eccentric gaming includes Ancient Roman 4th century Syrian frontier skirmish games (“Roma Victa” rules), Greenland in WW2, Partisan warfare in Yugoslavia in WW2, Franco-Siam War of WW2, 1st French-Indochina War, the Vietnam War (but only the Australian and Thai areas of operation), modern Canadian Peacekeeping operations, modern African Warlord battles, and Back of Beyond 1920's skirmish (aka “Mongols with Mausers”). I won't bore you with a list of the more mainstream games.

A few years ago, I had the chance to travel in Thailand, and experience both the beauty and the seedy underbelly of an amazing country and culture. Then I got the big, (actually, a bug got me, but another story, another time). I watched a truck of Thahan Phran (literally meaning “hunter killers”) Thai Army Rangers drive by. That image inspired a whole new gaming possibility for me.The late, great scholar, Professor Desmond Ball refers to them in his book on the subject as “The Boys in Black”. They are small units of paramilitary light infantry of the Royal Thai Army (RTA) that are scattered along Thailand's borders to patrol the area and call in other police or RTA forces if they need support. They tend to be made up of small units (19-40) of young men who live in these remote areas, so they know the terrain, people, customs, language and local “bush news”. They have a very spotty history. Some units have become almost folk heroes, while others are as corrupt and abusive as those they defend against.

Along Thailand's borders with Burma/Myanmar, Laos & Cambodia, they patrol against foreign incursions by both national and ethnic rebel armies, smugglers, human traffickers, teak wood and elephant poachers, and drug dealers. This is an especially dangerous job in the far north in The Golden Triangle, where the Mekong River forms a border between Burma/Myanmar, Thailand and Laos.

And so, getting back to the point, I've chosen to start gaming a new period, in this mountainous, jungle-covered frontier area. It is wide open for scenarios and a variety of forces. The Thais have a dizzying variety Thahan Phran, Border Patrol Police (BPP), and Royal Thai Army (RTA) units to bring into play, as do the Royal Loas Army (RLA). The Myanmar Armed Forces (Tatmadaw) has a variety of regular and light infantry units to bring into play. Since much of Myanmar, especially along the Thai border, the north and in The Golden Triangle, are controlled by ethnic rebel groups, most of the patrolling and skirmishing is carried out by the Light Infantry Divisions (Chay Myan Tat Ma or Ta Ma Kha). The ethnic rebel groups in Myanmar are too numerous to name, with the major groups ranging from armies of the few hundred of the All Burma Students' Democratic Front (ABSDF), to the 25,000 of the United Wa State Army (UWSA). Add into this a large number of smaller ethnic militias, criminal syndicates and drug warlords. At various times these groups are either allied to the government, fighting the government, allied to other ethnic rebel groups, fighting other ethnic rebel groups, or all the above. Just to make matters more interesting, add in to this mix the activities of Mekong River pirates and foreign mercenaries.

Let's face it, for skirmish gaming in exotic locales, this one is a winner. I plan to put together a scenario for the HotLead Convention in Stratford, Ontario Canada in March. Pics of my first units should be posted shortly.

Offline Viper4Dan

• Librarian
Re: Golden Triangle Wargaming
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 11:52:58 PM »
The first group of photos are of my Burmese ethnic rebel drug lord forces. They are based on the uniform of the United Wa State Army, but could equally represent any number of ethnic armies, local militias, or even light infantry from Laos or Cambodia. The figures are from Commando Miniatures, with the WW2 weapons swapped for AK's, and the red scarves added from greenstuff.

Offline Viper4Dan

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 01:49:22 AM »
Two sections of Burmese Drug Warlord light infantry.

Offline Viper4Dan

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 01:50:24 AM »
Command and light mortar support.

Offline Viper4Dan

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 01:51:29 AM »
First unit of Mekong pirates. Boats and Thahan Phran to be the next projects up.

Offline jamesmanto

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 02:35:36 AM »
You just can't do anything normal, can you?
 :D

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 03:13:21 AM »
I plan to put together a scenario for the HotLead Convention in Stratford, Ontario Canada in March. Pics of my first units should be posted shortly.

Your games are great fun. Can't wait to see more of this!
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 06:19:45 AM »
Your strange flights of fancy are always fun to see. Keep up the good work.  :-*
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 06:26:40 PM »
As a fellow gamer who likes to take the road less traveled in what I game, excellent!
I could see where this could be a lot of fun.

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 02:10:38 AM »
Very cool.
Look forward to see what is next.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Valerik

• Mad Scientist
  • "...promiscuously brandishing a revolver..."
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 03:03:20 AM »
Huh??

This topic ain't about wargaming in Norh Carolina??

Yours looks almost as dangerous, & a LOT more interesting!!

& I've always admired “Roma Victa”, very well done, Sir!!

Valerik

"Sign of the Fiery Naga"
-Mister Moto Takes a Chance
BGR

"Fart in the devil's face"
Martin Luther

Offline S_P

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 05:45:27 PM »
Some great ideas there- looking forward to seeing it develop.

Offline Viper4Dan

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 02:35:42 AM »
As the project progresses, I've completed the leader of my Mekong pirates, Pho King Mao. He's a Gripping Beast MoFo African Warlord figure. His first pirate ship is a converted speedboat, found at a local Good Will store. Besides the required Heavy Machine Gun mount, I've added a boarding ladder to allow his crew to clamber up the side of smaller cargo ships.

Offline Viper4Dan

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2017, 02:36:48 AM »
The "Blue Dragon" of the Mekong!

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2017, 03:44:44 PM »
Indeed. What excellent choice. ;-)