Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:53:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Not sure what to ditch.  (Read 3971 times)

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
Not sure what to ditch.
« on: January 28, 2017, 01:10:13 AM »
Well, after two and a half years of retirement the lead pile has failed to travel to the table, so its time to cull.  I have just ousted my Vietnam and Victoriana collection, so what to go next?

I have the following in two major periods:

Two Samurai armies (Dixons and Old Glory/Perry) painted and based
Two Perry WOTR armies untouched
One painted Essex New Model Army Painted and based
Two ECW armies (Warlord) untouched

Two Front Rank SYW (British and French) armies untouched
One Minifigs Austrian SYW army painted and based
Two 15mm SYW armies painted but unbased
One Minifigs Franco-Polish army painted and based
Two large Perry Napoleonic Armies (French and Prussian) Untouched
Two large (Perrys) ACW armies, mostly painted and based

Bearing in mind that there is a lot of overlay here, what could I least use?  :?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 01:15:59 AM by joroas »
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
Re: Not sure what to ditch.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 02:08:49 AM »
Not sure what you mean by untouched  (new in Box? )

I'd keep the stuff that is painted and based...for starters
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 08:23:20 AM »
Thanks, untouched is still in boxes/blisters.

Offline Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 08:32:19 AM »
Keep it all. It costs nothing to feed and water and will always cost more to replace. Retirement is a long term project after all.
"There is no point in being stupid unless you show it!"

http://talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 09:18:55 AM »
That being said I'm going through a similar process.  I'm finding the 'hoard' overpowering and it's putting me off starting on new projects. I'm planning on stripping stuff down to manageable sizes, so the Napoleonics and ACW stuff will go down to a few Sharp Practice sized forces and so on. I can see where Joroas is coming from with this.

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 10:39:48 AM »
Don't get rid, trust me you will regret it later, plenty of time to get thru the stuff...

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 11:08:00 AM »
Majorsmith is right. Just find somewhere to hide it all out of sight and mind. One day something will stir your inspiration for all those tidied away things and you'll be glad you still have them.

I say this as someone who has bought stuff several times over after selling...

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 03:06:03 PM »
That being said I'm going through a similar process.  I'm finding the 'hoard' overpowering and it's putting me off starting on new projects.

Thanks, chaps, I have to say that it is difficult to decide here, but I will also add that the loss of the five Vietnam boxes off my desk was quite uplifting....

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 05:11:15 PM »
I'm thinking that I'll never get round to my Arthurians, Normans, vikings, Saxons and early Crusaders so I might as well offload them. WWII Italians,  Poles and French may follow. I'm even consider getting rid of my Judge Dredd collection. I just don't have the space for unpainted lead but I don't think I'd get rid of my painted stuff.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2017, 05:15:03 PM »
Like you, I had a good look around.  My WH40K and Necromunda went last year, looking to ditch WHQ this year.  I am minded to keep the painted stuff, I suppose, as when based I will have fieldable armies, using the SYW Austrians as troops who have not yet received new uniforms and can fight me Nap French.  The Front Rank I am minded to keep, but do I need WOTR and ECW or two more Napoleonic armies?

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2017, 06:02:44 PM »
I think it's a good thing to cut the extra junk if it realistically has no future in your gaming/modeling/hobbying.

I'd just ask yourself some genuine questions.

1) Will I realistically ever complete X to a playable standard.
2) Do I have a game, or gamers, or game environment to play said game (this of course is something that can be subject to change)
3) Do I still have the interest in X that I had when I purchased the items in question?

I have a rule (since I move often).  If something (furniture, books, gaming materials) is moved 2-3 times and I've yet to use it or make it, etc...I toss it.  If it's been 3-5 years and a couple of moves, I just cut it out.  I occasionally regret it, but rarely badly.  If you had a heavy hobbying pace I'd suggest keeping it all - but it sounds like that's not the case.  I have a buddy who is a caricature artist and he gets to hobby...seriously maybe 30-40 hours a week when he wants to.  So I'd never tell him to ditch his huge lead pile.  However if you've got stuff sitting for several years, just be honest with yourself and look at the above questions.

2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2017, 06:25:31 PM »
Cheers, Elbows, if I'm honest that is where I am, I just needed someone to confirm my instinct. Do I need WOTR and ECW?  Do I need SYW and Napoleonic?  Do I ditch plastic over lead?

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2017, 06:37:44 PM »
I regret selling painted armies quite a bit.

Unpainted can always be reacquired again, unless it's something rare.

I suppose if it were me, I'd unload in this order:

1. What I have no desire to paint
2. What has been sitting around the longest
3. What is easier to get a hold of again, if need be
4. Anything else unassembled

a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2017, 07:58:32 PM »
I've just been going through sorting stuff out to sell on to someone more likely to use it. I got to my box of Vietnam stuff; my first reaction was "I love these figures and can't wait to paint them and game with them". They stay in the keep pile. I got to the 'Dark Ages' box full of Gripping Beast plastic and lead and although I like the figures I didn't have that spark of interest. They're in the sell pile. That first reaction kind of tells you what you need to know.

Offline Neotacha

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2017, 08:15:19 PM »
What are you actively playing with RIGHT NOW?  What is already painted and based in this lot that you honestly believe you'll use in the next six months?  Start by off-loading the unpainted stuff, then move to the unbased stuff.  Someone out there is probably looking for what you have; you'll get room and they'll get some minis to put into their games.  Minis get loved and played with.  Win-win-win, really.