Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:15:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690465
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Not sure what to ditch.  (Read 3964 times)

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Re: Not sure what to ditch.
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2017, 07:22:15 PM »
Hardly game at all, tbh, hence the clearance and lack of interest in visiting shows.....

Well if that's the case, and you're not INTERESTED in gaming....

Have you considered making dioramas, or pieces for display purposes?

I personally just have one gaming project - 15th century. I'm often tempted by other periods, but know that there is no way I'd want to start another huge gaming project. So I've told myself if ever I get temporarily bored of the 15th century, and want to try something from a different period, I should just do a little diorama (or one unit on an impressive scenic base at least), putting lots of time and all my skill into it (whereas with my gaming project I don't spend too long painting, as I want to get things on the table quickly).

Could be an alternative way to get your creative outlet. Why bother with making collections for gaming if you don't actually game?

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2017, 07:43:51 PM »
Selling the bloody lot is not out of the question. As for a different hobby, I would no longer be prepared to put the time, money and effort into anything new.

Dioramas, a good idea, but not something I have any strong urge for.

As for painting, I think about wandering into the Man Cave several times a week, but the enthusiasm and interest just isn't there, so I don't go. 
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 07:53:44 PM by joroas »
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2017, 08:12:38 PM »
The concentration on one period idea is a solid one. I've got my old Painted stuff to play some Frostgrave, my new groups game of choice, but if forced to, I'd do all Trojan War era stuff,.and nothing else. May still happen! The focus would be nice!

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2017, 08:25:15 PM »
Thanks, Lead, my table is overflowing and I have a huge stash in the shed, maybe I should put it all away and just get out SOME figures to paint and work on an army at a time.

Offline Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2017, 06:30:34 AM »
Thanks, Lead, my table is overflowing and I have a huge stash in the shed, maybe I should put it all away and just get out SOME figures to paint and work on an army at a time.
An excellent idea John! Come for a game in July and we can talk it over. Cheers!
David
"There is no point in being stupid unless you show it!"

http://talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Neotacha

• Scientist
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2017, 09:20:58 PM »

There you go.  Sounds like just the thought of going to the painting table is overwhelming you.  Try using some of the old housecleaning tricks -- spend a short time (15-20 min) at a go decluttering the table.  At the end, go do something different.  Play in the garden.  Take a walk. Do some sit-ups or jumping jacks or something no where near your painting table.  Once you've got your table knocked into shape, then do the same thing with painting.  Set a time limit and paint that long at least.  If you're still feeling it, go ahead and paint some more, but if not, that short stint brings you that much closer to a finished project.  If all you're seeing is the one project you might be more inspired to finish it.

Take that suggestion for what it's worth though -- I can't remember when the last time I sat down at the painting desk is.  OTOH, I have assembled three Western buildings that way in the last month or so. :)

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2017, 10:24:26 PM »
Cheers, Chaps, herein lies the problem:

I will work on a clear up and let you see the aftermath........

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2017, 08:17:45 AM »
I hope you are keeping the cat!  :)
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Neotacha

• Scientist
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2017, 02:37:52 AM »
That table would intimidate me, too.  Maybe go cuddle the cat and hope the brownies come tidy?  You can put out milk or whiskey or something for them as a bribe, can't you?

Good luck!  I see some interesting things there that deserve to be painted and  played with.  I hope you can work your way to them.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2017, 10:56:48 PM »
Now tidier:

« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 11:05:44 PM by joroas »

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2017, 12:40:35 AM »
Beautiful, lovely to see the cat enjoying the space.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2017, 06:21:09 AM »
Whoa, can you come and clear my painting area out now?  :D
We have 4 cats, so I need to clear more space.

Seriously, that is exactly what I need to do.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2017, 08:13:32 AM »
I moved all the stash out to the shed, I left her pillow to go out with her travel basket, but she had a difference of opinion!

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2017, 08:23:59 AM »
Awww  :)
She's a nice cat, and does your table and your clearing skills credit. Just don't go painting her now.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2017, 03:12:27 PM »
She slept there all night......

I started some painting too, but not the cat...... :o