Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:06:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691076
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Chicago Way - Campaign Rules  (Read 860 times)

Offline terrement

• Librarian
The Chicago Way - Campaign Rules
« on: January 29, 2017, 03:19:19 AM »
There was an initial flurry of posts for The Chicago Wa when it first came out.  Not surprisingly, they were overviews, first impressions, initial AARs.

I'm interested in, and can't find anything online about the campaign portion of the game - how detailed, mechanics, strengths, weaknesses, level of detail vs abstraction, etc.

Above and beyond that specific question, I'm looking for a game system if there is one, or ideas if there isn't for a generic campaign game for controlling areas of a city.  I thought if there was a good starting point, it could be adjusted as needed for other settings-so maybe warlords in a place like Bongolesia, narco gangs today, tongs competing with each other, anarchists vs the security forces.  Seems useful as a scenario generator / background for ongoing campaign

I started trying to gin up some good mechanics on both a high level, lots of generalizations for simplicity, and a more detailed version down to the street/shop /gang member level.  The concept was for a game set in the '70s, NYC, and different gangs were vying for fame fortune and control.  Brief overview - each gang would have one ganglord, and start with one lieutenant  and a small (4-6?) and a neighborhood of a few blocks.  Income came fro protection your local businesses would pay to both keep the gang from hitting them, and for the gang to keep other opposing gangs from hitting them.  You gain REP by growing your notoriety (tagging other neighborhoods, winning rumbles, avoiding the law, muscling into opposition neighborhoods, spreading into unclaimed territory.  The more REP, the easier it is to recruit new members, pressure businesses.  It also draws the attention of the opposition, city hall, and the police.  The police have more area than they can cover, so when one area gets hot with property crimes and rumbles, it draws them in greater numbers.  This leads to possible arrests (drop in REP), which may cause businesses to balk at paying, fewer members to patrol your turf and raid others, and makes you an easier target for other gangs.  It also means the police can't cover other neighborhoods making them easier to spread into.

As a ganglord, you need to get enough cash to recruit and fund your operations, expand your turf, cause the other gangs to suffer and lose territory, and at the same time NOT get the law shutting you down.

So, from that basic description, any thoughts, suggestions, etc. are welcome.

Thanks,

JJ

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
Re: The Chicago Way - Campaign Rules
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 04:55:58 AM »
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=89877.0

Have a look! First KS ran into a snag, but I believe the new one is on the way shortly. Sounds like just what you are after.

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
Re: The Chicago Way - Campaign Rules
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 04:56:54 AM »