Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:33:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Hiding gaps between terrain boards?  (Read 1569 times)

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Hiding gaps between terrain boards?
« on: February 01, 2017, 06:25:16 PM »
I'm having fun making terrain boards, and I'd thinking about how to hide or at least minimise the gaps between them, to avoid the 'grid' look.

I've put a lot of effort into making the edges as straight and square as possible, and think I've done a good job, but even then there is only so much I can do. The neatest, cleanest, straightest, most well-made boards are still going have visible gaps.

I've also tried my very best to avoid warpage of the boards, which would obviously make the gaps even more unsightly. Again I think I've done it rather well, but a small ammount of warpage is I think always going to be unavoidable.

So I think I've got things as good as I can in terms of constructions.

One big question is whether to just stick with 60x60cm boards, or to do more 60x120cm ones. The larger boards obviously mean less joins, but are more prone to warpage. I've got two of the larger ones, and they aren't entirely level. My 60x60 ones are all pretty much fine. I'm thinking I'm going to stick with the smaller ones, as I can rely on them being more or less level, no warparge, even if it does mean more visible gaps.

So with that sorted out - how about some ideas to hide the gaps?

One obvious way is to put terrain over the gaps. But obviously it's gonna look silly having things placed over every gap. And the edges of my terrain bases are also going to be fairly visibly and somewhat unsightly.

Having lots of flock / static grass over the edges of the boards can help I guess, but it won't completely hide them, and will be likely wear off very quickly.

Here's two things I'm consdering, and I wonder if anyone has any ideas on them.....

1 - Sprinkle loose flock over over the edges to hide them. Obviously this will be messy, and will probably require a little hand-held vacuum cleaner to suck it up at the end of the game. But it could be done....I'd have to make sure it's all sucked back up so it can be re-used next time, or I'd quickly be wasting a lot of flock.

2 - Strategically placed grass 'sheets'. This won't cover all the gaps, but could nicely hide the worse offenders. Now what material to use? Whatever I choose I will cover it with the same flock mixture I use on my boards. If it ends up looking slightly different, that's fine, it will add variety. They will be cut into organic rounded shapes rather than squares.

I'm leaning towards the second option.

Now I know there pre-made grass mats you can buy, but I think I'd like to make my own. So basically a light, flexible material which I can make thin sheets with that can be PVAd and flocked. Will be great if they are nicely flexible.

I'm thinking back to my model railway I had as a kid, before I ever got into wargaming...  I had sheets of some sort of green foliage I used for grass cover, and I'm trying to find it but not having much luck....

It MIGHT have been this stuff, from Woodland Scenics.

But in this pic it looks a bit too light and fragile. I think it's designed to be easily torn apart, as is shown on the pic... Does anyone have any experience with this, or something similar? Can it be left as it comes and laid down as a fairly thick but soft, spongy ground cover?
Could it be sprayed heavily with watered-down PVA and flocked? Would it then stay fairly robust but still flexible after a good soaking?
Some sheets of this in natural organic shapes could be laid strategically on my boards to cover the worse of the gaps, or where the boards are slightly warped or differ in height noticeably. Aesthetically, if flocked right it could blend in with the boards and add some nice variation, patches of thicker / different grass etc....

Anyway, long rambling post.

Does anyone have any thoughts about my two ideas? Anyone tried anything similar? Anyone have any other ideas for hiding the gaps between terrain boards?

Let's have a brainstorming session!

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: Hiding gaps between terrain boards?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 09:40:30 PM »
A couple of suggestions / thoughts

Make sure that the edges  of the boards are dark - therefore any gaps will look more shadow like and somewhat less obvious. Though the linear nature of them is what makes them stand out.

Various bits of scatter terrain will help - especially at the corners - yes these have edges, but if the edges are curved rather than square they tend to blend better.

As you suggest making scatter terrain that is just grass or dirt patches will help disguise the joins.

Perhaps rather than using flock - which is probably a bit small - try using small amounts of woodland scenics clump foliage - I have seen this used around the edges of scatter terrain and it really helps blend stuff in.

Lastly - don't worry about it too much, this is the type of thing that stands out loads in photos, and when you are setting up a game, once the dice are rolling and the figures are moving, it matters much less!

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 10:01:42 PM »
Just a suggestion that might help.  Why not use felt on your edges.  It can be painted a similar color to the board texture and it will stick to another felt surface.  You can spray the felt with spray adheasive and stick it on the sides then cut down to size.  I use it on the bottom of my terrain to minimize chipping of other surfaces and you do not notice it once painted. 
Hope that helps.
Snitchy sends. 
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 05:51:56 AM »
It's called lichen.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 11:38:33 AM »
It's called lichen.

This.

Try using small amounts of woodland scenics clump foliage - I have seen this used around the edges of scatter terrain and it really helps blend stuff in.

And this.

That's what I do anyway - small amounts of scatter material / shrubbery, plus strategically positioned hedgerows, walls and buildings to disguise or at least break up the most obvious joins between boards...

One thing I don't understand is the whole warpage thing... Maybe I've been incredibly lucky, but I have around 15 different 5mm MDF boards and 10 assorted 50mm stryrofoam slab boards, and they are all flat as a pancake. They are not framed or reinforced in any way, and I've never had any warpage to speak of, neither at the time of creation, nor many years down the line.
I wonder why so many other people seem to have this problem with warping boards and I don't?  ??? ???
Odd.

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 11:43:28 AM »
If you don't like gridlines, don't use tiles use a cloth?

Sand on caulk on cotton canvas can look great.

Edited to correct !  :D

« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 09:16:49 AM by Silent Invader »
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 09:09:22 AM »
Yeah, the terrain boards versus cloth dilemma.  I went with artist's canvas - though I've noted in some photos that the texture shows a bit more than I like, especially in my chosen 15 mm - so a finer weave is recommended.  But I like the cloth option over the terrain board.  Terrain boards done well look fantastic, of course.  But then there is the storage monster.  And, for me, a cloth allows much greater versatility.  One decision I made was to make all of my terrain to match and then add "flavor" pieces to achieve different looks.  But, hey, to each his (or her) own.