Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:46:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: What town element am I missing?  (Read 3518 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: What town element am I missing?
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2016, 05:14:17 AM »
Living here in the California Gold Rush country as I do, I forget that not everyone knows the names of Chinese buildings - several items in my list are for my China town, the joss house would be an opium den, the Shaolin temple - well, I've always been a fan of the Kung Fu tv show, then there is the laundry, naturally, and the herbalist would be a variation on a Chinese drug store.  I've got some Peter Pig Vietnam civilians to play the role of some of the towns folk and Blue Moon have some Chinese figures in there Old West mix.  So, a Chinatown is in the mix.  The Mexican influence will be a satellite town.  But there will be a less affluent part of the town where the freed slaves who've moved west - and those who'd always been free - have settled in.  The multiculturalism might be sort of new but the west had a very diverse culture - European, native American, African American, Asian, even some Pacific Islanders.

I do thing I might need a Tong association.  Hmm?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 02:41:31 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline rebelyell2006

• Librarian
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2016, 11:16:38 PM »
You also need general goods stores and larger merchant stores.  And warehouses for those stores.  If the stores are not located next to the rail station (and consider a roundhouse and maintenance shed too), then you will need parking space for the freight wagons.  And don't forget a hanging tree or windmill for the vigilantes.  And a telegraph office.  If your town is post-1880, then consider a telephone office as well.  Church schools, perhaps a Jesuit school, and if the town is large enough then throw in a Normal school as well.

Is it a Spanish/Mexican land grant town, or did it start during the Gold Rush?

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2017, 05:43:42 AM »
Well, since it's been a year, maybe someone new will look through my list and the responses and add some ideas.  Alas, not much progress on this collection.  But I did finish some FIW stuff last year and pretty much 'finished' collecting miniatures that are within the 'grand plan'.  Will take a decade and a decent lottery win - and a prolific contract painter to get it all painted.  One area old west has progressed is work on the trains, progress on Peter Pig conversions yesterday - the stock cars (cattle transports for you fer-en-ers) and tank cars (water transports, ditto).  Not done but pieces cut out with some to go before starting assembly, plus deciding how I'll do the ends - but keep simpler than the sides, I think, for the stock cars.

And still not letting on what the county name is until I can post up a photo of my court house - which languishes in the lead mountain range (mountain doesn't cover my stuff).

Oh, and I have warehouses in the plan, for the town, the railroad, and the docks - an important part of the planning.  And no doubt integral to some as yet unknown gaming scenario.