Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:06:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Informal survey: Updated 3/3/09  (Read 9539 times)

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
Informal survey: Updated 3/3/09
« on: February 25, 2009, 07:22:19 PM »
Hello, everyone.

Just an informal survey here. I wonder if you would be willing to help? I'm curious about what you would like to see in an "Adventure" range covering, say, the broad expanse of Pulp stories (that is, everything from the ancient themed stories to pulp sci-fi, or to put it another way, Conan to Flash Gordon, and everything in between), and the historical events that often generate them.

What would you like to see that hasn't been covered yet and doesn't seem likely to be covered? Are there specific "troop types" or personality figures ("Not" so-and-so's are perfectly acceptable here) that you'd like to see? Fiction and Non-Fiction options are viable.

For example, maybe you'd like to see somebody do Japanese Cavalry for the Interwar Period, or maybe you're a huge fan of the Lone Ranger and would like to see a proper set of the Ranger and Tanto. Maybe you want a figure of your favorite historical general? Maybe you want those Jacobites in 1938 gear for "A Very British Civil War"?

Note here that, while the period is very much open to interpretation, I am quite serious in asking for subjects that haven't been covered, or at least haven't been covered completely. Pulp Figures already does a great job on many subjects, as do other companies. What I'm looking for are the gems undiscovered, the armies incomplete, etc. 28mm is the preferred scale, at the moment.

Thanks in advance!

-Doc

« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 09:48:28 PM by Doc Twilight »

Offline flooglestreet

• Scientist
    • Old Spaceways
Re: Informal survey: What would you like to see in an "Adventure" range?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 04:28:27 AM »
I want a not Dr. Zharkov figure from Flash Gordon. I don't want them myself, but I see a definite lack of Hollywood style cowboys. Maybe nobody else wants them either.

Offline leadfool

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 05:06:17 AM »
Several things,
1. 1920's-30s Texas rangers, rifle armed, 45 on the hip, wearing suits but cowboy boots and cowboy hats, but bolo ties.  The guys that got Bonnie and Clyde.

2.20's British cops in Foreign service, ie Hong Kong.
FOUNDER OF THE D'ISREALI ARMY

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.  Liberty is a well armed Lamb, contesting the vote.
B Franklin.    ----

Offline TadPortly

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.oxfordhousehold.co.uk/
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 08:06:40 AM »
Off the top of my head in 28mm I would like:

German SA
Egyptian Civilians (bearers, shopkeepers, water sellers, donkey drivers etc)
Egyptian Archeaological diggers
interwar Egyptian Army figs
Egyptian police
U Boat crew with MP28s
Pulp badguys with MP28s
interwar Germans with MP28s
French gendarmes
Some "classic" figures based on 30's movie characters
Brian Blessed stylee Hawkmen from the film "Flash"
Palace guards etc from the film "Flash"
They were all drawn to the Keep; the soldiers who brought death; the father and daughter fighting for life; the people who have always feared it; and the one man who knows its secret....

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 08:09:52 AM »
Thanks for the input, everyone, keep it coming.

As for myself, I suppose I'd most like to see figs for The Phantom and Solomon Kane, with the Green Hornet and Kato running in third (this would be the 1930s GH and Kato, not the television guys).

It seems the rights for Solomon Kane are currently a matter of dispute... I wonder if one could produce a line based upon his adventures.

Troop types I'd like to see? Well, I'd kill for some good Hungarian and Italian Cavalry for WW2 and the Interwar Period. And some more interwar troop types in general wouldn't be bad, either. I"m also very keen on the "Weird War One" idea.

Please do keep the ideas flowing, guys. No promises as yet but they're incredibly helpful.

-Doc

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 08:38:11 AM »
Need more primatives to spice up scenarios like ERB's Pelucidar or other Lost World type situations.  I know there are caveman figures from Copplestone and Neanderthals from Pulp Figures, but it doesn't help to lose the HLBS cavemen and Homo Erectus. Got the Tarzan and Jane from Foundry and jungle family from Pulp figures, along with many Shadow Forge stone age babes.  But could use some extra stuff here, particularly families of primatives, not just the warriors and hunting parties. Must set some scenarios in villages or during tribal migrations.

The "Sword and Planet" genre of Pulp has at least been addressed by Bronze Age Miniatures and Parroom Station, though I wouldn't complain if more of this type of stuff came out.

Need more families and villagers for both Darkest Africa and China to help set the scene or make scenarios at the scale of .45 Adventure or Savage Worlds.  There are mobs of male fighters for both Africa and China, but not enough figures to set a scene in a bar or market or restaurant or other business or at the home or village.
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 08:58:04 AM »
Similar to leadfool, I'd like to see figures usable as Shanghai Municipal Police, 1920s-1040ish - say one or two European or Japanese officers/inspectors, a Sikh sargent, and a couple of Chinese constables. (from what I've read, this is a pretty representative cross-section of the Shanghai force...)

We've got tong gangsters, lots of Chinese revolutionaries & gangsters, various more official Chinese forces, but no Shanghai cops. They'd be usable in other colonial settings too, if you squint a bit.

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 09:37:41 AM »
I would also love to see some natives. Maybe Maori or North American Indians?

Offline Stu

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 09:46:37 AM »
Civilians other than males - children, women, old men & women and pregnant women.  Throw in some different body types and you have excellent victims or mobs.
The drawback is of course, you will need a full range for each period.

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 10:18:43 AM »
Most of my wishes are already covered so I don's duplicate here.
Some others are already covered by new releases from some manufacturers!
so, a couple of my wishes:

Interwar japanese army and civilian types, for Shangai International Quarters
More civilians -mainly females plus few children etc [chinese, egyptians, europeans)
female advenuresses etc
Tintin et Co
Interwar military type as a guidance: King Ottokar's sceptre or Syldavia/Borduria types
argsilverson

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 12:37:19 PM »
Many excellent suggestions here. I particularly echo the call for a Dr. Hans Zarkov-type figure (various figure ranges abound with Flash & Dale knock-offs, but there are no Zarkovs...!). Note that it should be the Alex Raymond comic strip Zarkov, not the film Zarkov.

I also like the Solomon Kane idea (I've been calling for him on the Brigade Games Yahoo Group). Surely it would be easy enough to avoid IP liabilities by simply marketing a range of "Puritan Adventurers" (so what it one of 'em has a ju-ju stave...?). Such a line might also appeal to Warhammer Witch Hunter enthusiasts and fans of the movie Van Helsing.

As usual when these threads come up, I call for a line of grubby Parisian Apache Dancers...! ;D
2012 Lead Tally: Painted:0

Offline Schweizer

• Librarian
    • The Crogan Adventures
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 02:11:00 PM »
Pacific Islanders.  They'd be great for a variety of stuff, from pirates to pulp. 

Check out THE CROGAN ADVENTURES, a historical adventure graphic novel series available from your local bookstore or comic shop (or, of course, Amazon).  I make 'em.

Offline Grif

• Assistant
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 02:17:45 PM »
What we need, IMHO, to fill a gap in the various pulp-SF lines, is guys in old-fashioned space-suits, with heavy boots and gauntlets, maybe bubble-helmets, maybe curved-eyeslit helmets, and huge oxygen cylinders on their backs. And maybe a few pulp-SF control panels, too, with huge gauges, levers, maybe a wheel-type space helm.
Grif

Offline Tom Reed

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 02:51:28 PM »
I'd love a set of The Blackhawks. Blackhawk, Andre, Olaf, hendrickson, Chuck, Chop Chop, and Lady Blackhawk.

Of course then we would need his main nemisis, Tiger Shark, and some of his guys.
Jane! Stop this crazy thing!

Offline richarDISNEY

• Mad Scientist
  • Rescue Drinkin' and Gamin' Club
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 02:55:48 PM »
More figs to represent "The Yellow Menace".  Dr. Fu Manchu and his band of cutthroats type of figs...  Real mean lookin' Chinese gangsters of the '20's...
"What exactly is a 'Headpiece to the Staff of Ra'?"

RicharDISNEY

Rescue Drinkin' and Gamin' Club