Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:43:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691075
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: THE LEAD PAINTERS LEAGUE 11 - THE RULES  (Read 27983 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: THE LEAD PAINTERS LEAGUE 11 - THE RULES
« Reply #90 on: March 11, 2017, 09:34:49 PM »
Well, Mordheim is a GW product. Beastmen are a GW product line. i guess we must take it that they know what they're talking about.

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #91 on: March 12, 2017, 08:53:43 AM »
Was thinking about other tribal options and (almost) kicked myself for not considering the 'Peoples of the Sands' from Blind Beggar miniatures.

Their creator describes the miniatures as representing: "a Desert Nomad Tribe suitable for Sc-Fi, Post-Apocalyptic and Steampunk settings."

So, would these guys qualify as 'tribal' for the purpose of the contest?

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #92 on: March 12, 2017, 10:02:45 AM »
Dunno how they are described in Warhammer - never played that, but they are clearly Tribes in Mordheim where this quote comes from

Beastmen in Warhammer World are tribes, without doubt.

Was thinking about other tribal options and (almost) kicked myself for not considering the 'Peoples of the Sands' from Blind Beggar miniatures.

Their creator describes the miniatures as representing: "a Desert Nomad Tribe suitable for Sc-Fi, Post-Apocalyptic and Steampunk settings."

So, would these guys qualify as 'tribal' for the purpose of the contest?

No idea but our Mason is their creator, so we could ask him. If he says they are tribes, so be it :)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #93 on: March 12, 2017, 10:06:43 AM »
Well if Paul made them and says they are tribesmen, who am I to argue?  :)

This is, you will appreciate folks, the difficulty with themes... It's fairly easy to say that such-and-such a real world, historical culture was or wasn't tribal. Or, at least, we can all think of plenty of cultures and peoples that clearly were / are tribal.

Unfortunately, once you cross into the realms of fantasy and sci-fi, it's rather more difficult. A set of miniatures might look or feel primitive in some way - but that doesn't necessarily make them tribal. So all we have to go on really, is the word of the person or people who designed / invented / sculpted that set of miniatures...

(Edit: Or as The Prof just said!  lol)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #94 on: March 12, 2017, 10:25:54 AM »
Also, I've received a question: Why would Game of Thrones Wildlings and Giant qualify for 'Big Brother, Little Brothers' when, for instance, a group of LOTR Easterlings and a cave troll, would not?

This is a very fair question. To explain:

The defining feature to qualify for this theme is that the big brother is in some obvious, recognisable way, of the same or a closely related TYPE to the little brothers.
Simply being on the same SIDE, doesn't count.

So, a GoT giant and accompanying Thenns, for instance, are - according to George RR Martin's books - all Wildlings, all part of the Free Peoples, of the same culture, and related.
Similarly, a Roman god of war accompanying a band of Roman heroes or soldiers, are related and of a distinct type - they are all Roman.

Conversely, whilst a group of (human) Easterlings and a cave troll are on the same side, they are not a related type in any other way. They are humans from one distinct culture, plus a troll from another.
If that was an acceptable 'Big Brother, Little Brother' grouping, then you'd effectively accept that any large fantasy creature can be paired with any group of regular-sized fantasy miniatures - proving they're all good, or all evil.
There has to be some stronger connection of shared type than that.
Hope that helps.

It's not an exact science I'm afraid. We'll continue to take each and every suggestion on a case by case basis, so please advise if you want to check out if your proposed team would qualify for the theme bonus points :)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #95 on: March 12, 2017, 06:11:34 PM »
"tribesmen" is the very definition of "can of worma"

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #96 on: March 12, 2017, 06:27:42 PM »
"tribesmen" is the very definition of "can of worma"

Truthfully, every theme turns into a can of worms because - quite understandably - participants tend to want to paint a group of miniatures they are going to want to keep and use, so try to find a way to make the miniatures fit the theme even if they are somewhat borderline. I'm sure Sci-Fi and Fantasy wargamers don't want to have to paint 'obvious' tribesmen like Tupi, Pathans or Ancient Germans. So there's always going to be a bit of debate. It's not a problem - it's been the same in every single LPL so far :)

It's fine for people to ask if a particular potential team would or wouldn't qualify :)

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #97 on: March 12, 2017, 07:19:46 PM »
A Giant in an Orc/Goblin army would then qualify as Big Brother, as they are an essential part of the GW Warhammer Mythos for the race (up until AoS, at least)?
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #98 on: March 12, 2017, 07:33:28 PM »
Truthfully, every theme turns into a can of worms because - quite understandably - participants tend to want to paint a group of miniatures they are going to want to keep and use, so try to find a way to make the miniatures fit the theme even if they are somewhat borderline. I'm sure Sci-Fi and Fantasy wargamers don't want to have to paint 'obvious' tribesmen like Tupi, Pathans or Ancient Germans. So there's always going to be a bit of debate. It's not a problem - it's been the same in every single LPL so far :)

It's fine for people to ask if a particular potential team would or wouldn't qualify :)

Sorry. Didn'tmean to be a dick about it. The thene just seems cause an unusual amount of confusion.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #99 on: March 12, 2017, 09:18:20 PM »
A Giant in an Orc/Goblin army would then qualify as Big Brother, as they are an essential part of the GW Warhammer Mythos for the race (up until AoS, at least)?

What you're saying is that in Warhammer Fantasy Battles, you can have giants in an army of orcs/goblins - that doesn't make the giants of the same type as the orcs / goblins, any more than having war elephants in a Macedonian Successor army makes an elephant big brother to a human being in the phalanx.

Obviously a giant orc or goblin would qualify. (So the Goblin King with a party of goblins, for instance? Perfect). But no, a traditional style fantasy giant is not the same type as orcs or goblins.

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
« Reply #100 on: March 13, 2017, 04:10:27 PM »
Would the "From contaminated Seas" miniatures from Lead Adventure count as ship's crew?

Thanks
n

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #101 on: March 13, 2017, 04:41:58 PM »
Yes. They definitely look like seafarers to me  :)

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #102 on: March 14, 2017, 04:32:41 AM »
Beastmen in Warhammer World are tribes, without doubt.

No idea but our Mason is their creator, so we could ask him. If he says they are tribes, so be it :)

Just got confirmation from Mason  that they are tribal.

Now to get painting....

Thanks for your patience with this enquiry.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #103 on: March 14, 2017, 08:38:19 PM »
5. Team Photographs

You should submit a single photograph of the figures in the team, which may NOT be a collage or composite of individual images.

Wut?  :?

Last LPL I managed to enter was LPL7, so it's been a while since I've reviewed the rules closely.

When did the "no collage/composite" rule kick in, and why?

I totally get and support the "no photoshoppery" rules, and reluctantly accept the "no text" ruling, but this one doesn't really make any sense.

Previous versions specified that all figures must be seen in at least one included view, which makes sense, but that multiple views after that was allowed.

These are figures. They're three dimensional objects. Not allowing multiple views seems like an unnecessary restriction. It takes a lot of the gloss off the bump from 800x800px up to 1000x1000, too.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #104 on: March 14, 2017, 08:48:51 PM »
When did the "no collage/composite" rule kick in, and why?

I think the 'No montage' was introduced in LPL 8. As for 'why' I think it was because some members don't have the access to Photoshop or programs that allow a person to make slick composites. I was not super happy about that rule at the time because I like to include some detail shots, but it does force a person to think the 'single shot' through, so I'm ambivalent about it... adapt and overcome and all that. I'm probably partly to blame as I was putting in borders and stuff to make the detail shots pop ;)
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza