Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:24:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Warlord Zombie Game  (Read 4868 times)

Offline CarlLeyland

• Scientist
Warlord Zombie Game
« on: February 11, 2017, 09:48:29 PM »
Hi Guys,

I have just bought the Warlord Zombie game and wondered if anyone out there has any hints or tips?

Ideally I would like a dedicated board-should this be 2 or 3 foot square?

In the past I have used the Frothers Arse rules which are just great so the asking price was worth it for the figures alone....what have you Chaps been doing with your sets?

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
Re: Warlord Zombie Game
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 10:08:34 PM »
We have found Project Z quite a reasonable game though some mechanics take a bit getting used to.  We play it regularly - Grandad (me), our son and our grandchildren.  We have a few house rules/changes so that we can use some of our other figures.  Our games are usually 4 feet by 3 feet though smaller games are better for starting out.   I would say that 2 feet square is a bit small once you get used to the rules.  We do not use dedicated boards for our games so cannot advise on that. 

Some of our modes are here http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=94263.0

'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline CarlLeyland

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 10:19:26 PM »
Thanks dadlamassu! I just read your post about the game-a great idea to get the family involved! I will go for the 3 foot square board for the moment, I already have zeds from this company and zombicide so there will be a bit of mixing.

Thanks again for the link and the info.

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 03:06:49 AM »
I really don't like the rules, but the Project Z bikers are very nice!

I would use them with Mantic's The Walking Dead: All Out War game; free rules here: http://www.manticgames.com/free-rules.html

;)

« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 03:10:37 AM by dinohunterpoa »
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline CarlLeyland

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 09:05:22 AM »
Thanks for the link Dino....I may end up buying the Mantic set for the rules and game board. The bikers do look good...Warlord certainly have improved on Wargames Factory stuff

Offline Sbloom141

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 09:16:45 AM »
I have a reasonably large horde of zombies from when the moulds were owned by WGF.

The female zombie sculpts are brilliant. The males were not so good, but work well as a horde. I'd be interested in getting some at some point.

I have a few of the male and female survivors also. WGF were very generous with them, with 3 sprues to a box. So lots of conversion. I even made one trench coat guy into a Han Solo for a Star Wars imperial assault campaign!

The bikers were on the cusp of being released by WGF if I remember rightly. I would like a box of those too.

The rules don't particularly interest me too much.

I'm also disappointed that the models don't scale particularly well with Mantic's TWD which I'm loving at the moment. Well, the old zombies don't, anyway.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 09:32:55 AM »
The new male zombies scale quite well, but are not quite in the graphic novel style of TWD.

I picked up the box set at Salute, the rules and cards were not quite right.

The rules are available from Warlord's website, and if you have bad cards,  email them and they will send you replacements (tell them which ones are bad).

I bought the Factory box sets as they came out, the reissues are more expensive. Unfortunately the figures build into very distinctive models, which is a disadvantage if you are building lots of them. The fat woman with RPG is both a bad figure and not very convertible.

Offline CarlLeyland

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 09:49:56 AM »
TWD figures are very nice! I wonder if their zombies will ever be released as a seperate set?
The chap in the middle is interesting, who makes him please?

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 10:28:49 AM »
TWD figures are very nice! I wonder if their zombies will ever be released as a seperate set?

He is the Crooked Dice William Killian (Killian) figure.

http://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/in-praise-of-william-killan.html

He may not be currently available, but hopefully he will return (like Heresy's Girl in some clothes) at some point (possibly added to a new mould).
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 10:31:12 AM by Ultravanillasmurf »

Offline CarlLeyland

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 01:11:41 PM »
Thanks for the info Ultra-hard to believe but I have never looked at Crooked Dice before! What a useful website!

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 02:04:00 PM »
Thanks for the info Ultra-hard to believe but I have never looked at Crooked Dice before! What a useful website!
Your wallet will hate me...

I have two magicians for Frostgrave to build from Crooked Dice figures...
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 02:05:44 PM by Ultravanillasmurf »

Offline CarlLeyland

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 04:05:46 PM »
Haha your not wrong! What an interesting site.....I have a little book to keep a list of my wants in and a new page has now been started. Thanks again for the link

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 04:15:29 PM »

You can get some of them separately already

http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/the-walking-dead/boosters/product/walker-booster.html

Not sure if you'll see the other sculpts released separately in a similar way. They are lovely models. TWD stuff are Mantics best models by some way IMO

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2017, 05:18:35 PM »
There is a PDF with the wave 1 releases (and a poster in the Days Gone By expansion set), though the PDF lists non figures as well.
http://www.manticgames.com/SiteData/Root/File/FREE%20RULES/TWD%20-%20AoW%20-%20Component%20List%20Wave%201.pdf

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2017, 09:46:02 PM »
I own two Project S starter boxes and 1-2 of each expansion box plus the recent Specs Ops scenery pack. There is so much value in those boxes, can't recommend them enough. And the ruleset works fine, it just had the misfortune of coming out in sync with Mantic's The Walking Dead miniatures game; more on that below. Project Z is a straightforward gang v gang type game. I plan to expand it with a homebrew Visitor (i.e., "gray" alien) faction in the future.

I have had zero problems with component quality re: Project Z. If there were problems with cards, this has been straightened out as of Q4 2016.

Project Z is more about customizing your gang than clever zombie-maneuvering tactics. It reminds me a lot of George Romero's Dawn of the Dead. The reverse is true of Mantic's TWD, a game that is really about using the zombies to obstruct and kill your opponent's survivors. It is a really fun game but very different from Project Z.

There is no reason not to get both - both are eminently affordable and the miniatures from each can be used with both!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 09:50:05 PM by Manchu »