Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:20:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: THE LEAD PAINTERS LEAGUE 11 - GENERAL DISCUSSION  (Read 34197 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
THE LEAD PAINTERS LEAGUE 11 - GENERAL DISCUSSION
« on: February 13, 2017, 08:38:18 PM »
This thread is for general discussion on the LPL11

Questions about any aspect of the rules should be posted in the LPL11 rules thread here: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=97891.0

First thing to note is that you have more than a month before entries open on 17th March, and more than six weeks before the final deadline for entries on 31st March.

Hopefully that will be long enough for participants to paint and photograph 15 miniatures to comprise the required three initial teams :)

I (Captain Blood) will be running the league this time - receiving entries, setting up the matches and dealing with questions and enquiries as far as possible.
Admiral Benbow will be managing the draw and the leaderboard.
And The Prof will pop in to answer questions from time to time too :)

During the competition itself, we ask you to be considerate and constructive with your comments on the running entries. Feel free to voice your opinion about entries, but DON'T post any comments with any sort of "quality comparison" of the pictures for example:

- 'Entry A is great but I have to vote for entry B, because it's so much better'.
- 'Well entry A is so manifestly superior to entry B, that I cannot understand why so many people are voting for entry B'.
- 'Entry A is running for the third time, so I give my vote to the Entry B, just because it's new and I'm bored with the other one'.

Any comments of this or similar sort will be deleted/censored without warning.

Also please note, there's no such thing as a 'both' button. Never has been - never will be ;)

And now get painting. Good luck to everyone!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 08:58:01 PM by Captain Blood »

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Re: THE LEAD PAINTERS LEAGUE 11 - GENERAL DISCUSSION
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 08:53:00 PM »
Oh my - already?
I still haven't submitted the Build Something Photo!  lol
Huzzah. I'm going to try to get on board this year, even if the special rounds are problematic for me!

Thanks for keeping us entertained (and busy too!), Captain. 

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 08:55:04 PM »
Well you've got until this weekend to get your BSC entry in, and then a whole 4-6 weeks for the LPL  ;)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 07:14:34 AM »
Well you've got until this weekend to get your BSC entry in, and then a whole 4-6 weeks for the LPL  ;)

I know, not complaining  :D
I need stuff like the BSC and LPL to get me painting anyway.

Offline Lt. Hazel

• Mastermind
    • The Leutnant´s Diary
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 07:58:02 AM »
I really like the Bonus round themes, well executed. I think I will try to defend my last years 5th Place.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 06:56:02 PM »
I have a hoarding problem. How can I tell? I won't need to buy anything for this LPL and in the bonus rounds I even have multiple possible entries.

I guess that's a good thing...
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 07:32:29 PM »
Huzzah! Point your brushes and wet your paint!
One question though about round 10:
I wonder if it would be possible to display a band of random wandering monsters (mixed creatures of different species) with one of them being at least double their size e.g. Squigs, Goblins, Orks, Wraiths and Skeletons plus a Troll for the big one?
Or does the group have to be composed of one sort of species e.g. animals like 5 wolves plus a bear?
Would 5 pirates and a giant sea monster be fine (as long as it is on their side)?

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 08:04:19 PM »
I wonder if it would be possible to display a band of random wandering monsters (mixed creatures of different species) with one of them being at least double their size e.g. Squigs, Goblins, Orks, Wraiths and Skeletons plus a Troll for the big one?
Or does the group have to be composed of one sort of species e.g. animals like 5 wolves plus a bear?
Would 5 pirates and a giant sea monster be fine (as long as it is on their side)?

Michi, the operative word is Brothers :) So they need to be from the same kind/species/family. Humans with a human-looking Ogre or Giant would be fine. Humans with a Kraken not. Wolves with a bear wouldn't work as well. Also no luck for Goblins with Skeletons, I'm afraid  :D

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 10:13:59 PM »
Michi, the operative word is Brothers :) So they need to be from the same kind/species/family. Humans with a human-looking Ogre or Giant would be fine. Humans with a Kraken not. Wolves with a bear wouldn't work as well. Also no luck for Goblins with Skeletons, I'm afraid  :D

Alright, thank you for the clarification, Alex. I have to plan ahead now...  :D

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 12:02:14 PM »
I've got a wee question: if I've shown a WIP on my blog, like this for example:

https://bladesandblasters.com/2017/02/06/15mm-pulp-sci-fi-preview/

Could I enter the finished team if I haven't shown any other images? I'm not actually thinking if that particular set, but it's a good example.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 01:26:55 PM »
I've got a wee question: if I've shown a WIP on my blog, like this for example:

https://bladesandblasters.com/2017/02/06/15mm-pulp-sci-fi-preview/

Could I enter the finished team if I haven't shown any other images? I'm not actually thinking if that particular set, but it's a good example.

I'm seeing a completely painted figure there, that means this one wouldn't count anymore as he has been "shown". You still can use him in your LPL entries but he wouldn't count as newly-painted-never-shown-on-internet. Furthermore I'm seeing four unpainted miniatures there. They would be fine. Showing unpainted or primed WIP shots of the models is no problem at all. Thus we have five figures there, a proper LPL team. But you wouldn't receive any newly-painted-bonus points for this particular team. Though you could paint a sixth miniature and in this way you would provide five never-shown painted miniatures and thus qualify for 10 bonus points.

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2017, 01:35:23 PM »
Excellent - cheers. Good to clarify. Just realised I should have posted this in he other thread - could a mod kindly move it? Seems like something others might want to know.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2017, 02:40:44 PM »
Also please note, there's no such thing as a 'both' button. Never has been - never will be ;)

And now get painting. Good luck to everyone!

Please?  Come on, you KNOW it is necessary sometimes, for crying out loud!
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2017, 04:27:18 PM »
Questions on 'theme bonus qualification' in the rules thread please  :)

(Calimero, I've moved yours to there... )

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2017, 06:46:44 PM »
Last LPL I managed was LPL7, I think, which is way too long ago! I'm going to do my best to get in on this round, although I've hardly painted anything since November...

My Build Something entry should be done on time, then I'll consider my LPL options!