Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:49:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Insantiy rules for the tabletop (45A, Operator5)  (Read 8866 times)

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
Insantiy rules for the tabletop (45A, Operator5)
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2006, 06:39:30 PM »
No, there are stupid ideas in game design, and these include rules changes that immediately render your previous work irrelevant or in need of massive revision (unless you're GW, then these are features.)

I weigh nothing, have a hummingbird metabolism, and don't drink regularly. It would take approximately 3 beers to render me BR=2, DG=1 and possessing the Fearless ability. At that point, even Platonic addresses of affection are liable to render me weepy. I don't want to be That Guy. You don't want me to be That Guy, either.

Offline Prof. Dietrich Hes

• Librarian
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2006, 06:55:54 PM »
Well we are in the same boat.  I havent had a drink since 30 Jan 1999. Even the smell of alcohol makes me feel a bit sick, so we can grab some soda and chat a bit.

I do agree that implementing certain rules design concepts can "break" a system.  I would rather see a system for insanity brought in that is either a simple one that can be used with exisitng characters from 45A or easy enough to use and comprehend.  Granted I think we are all pretty well versed with CoC, but for the average player, we dont want it to be so over the top that they dont "understand" the base principle of the game and why there is insanity.

Also at worse case, a player can always change the rules to his/her liking if they want to boost it more, like me for a campaign style game where insanty breaks down over time, just not in one session.  Bjorn did a great job of making a CoC game and he didnt even use any sort of "insantiy". He got the proper "feel" for the genre, and it very much seem to be alot of fun.

Offline Mo

• Mad Scientist
    • Oddman Productions
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2006, 07:00:59 PM »
Rich, with his .45A supplements, is doing a pretty darn good job of streamlining the rules using his basic premise to handle most any situation.

I'm on the HLSS group and have been very vocal with new ideas I'd like to see. Invariably he takes my overcomplicated idea and whittles away the fat and finds a way to make it work with just one dice roll.
Fantastic Worlds: Pulp Action in the Far Reaches of Space
http://oddmanproductions.com

Offline Prof. Dietrich Hes

• Librarian
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2006, 07:17:21 PM »
Mo,
 and that is a great point.  Rich KNOWS where he is going with these rules in the future.  I know that just from the poll on HLSS there are alot of things to be brought into play later down the road.  He is very good at streamlining some things, perhaps for the benefit of the system so things will dovetail better later.  Right now all the systems are working in tandem with each other.  you can easily use aspects of 45A, AWS and Gloie together in one game without fear of "breaking" it.  

Whats in Rich's head.......  Only the Shadow knows!    :mrgreen:

But I am sure it is for the benefit of the system