Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:45:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690601
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 40mm Scale - Any good suppliers & What Games use them?  (Read 5453 times)

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
Re: 40mm Scale - Any good suppliers & What Games use them?
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2017, 08:44:35 PM »
Maybe 10 years ago now I was at Uni and sculpted a 54mm Viking for kicks. I was surprised how easy it was to paint as I'd heard people saying larger scales were tricky, no idea why.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2017, 11:47:29 PM »
I started painting 54mm Historex plastic minis a loooong time ago.

There were fun to paint, though a bit fiddly putting together. I even dabbled using oil paints to paint them and though it took time to dry, it allowed you to highlight and shade right on the mini. It also gave a wonderful texture to it as well.

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2017, 12:34:00 PM »
What would you like to see added?

Ian

Ian,

Cavalry and archers really. Both armoured and unarmoured. More variety of poses and some opposition for them.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 12:38:48 PM by armchairgeneral »

Offline Fighting15s

• Scientist
    • Fighting 15s
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2017, 10:34:03 AM »
Ian,

Cavalry and archers really. Both armoured and unarmoured. More variety of poses and some opposition for them.

Someone has asked about Romano-British archers before. They did head-swaps with the Dark Ages Saxon archers and the unarmoured Romano-British figure. I can look at doing a permanent solution. And then I'll think about cavalry. Some pictures of what you would like would be handy (I have the Dark Ages book by Ian Heath). I realize a lot of the Dark Ages stuff is a matter of beard and hair, style of helmet, and peculiar weapons because to me the basic tunic, mail and leggings look broadly similar. There's potential in the weapon masters to create a Dane axe for later huscarls without much trouble.

Mark Rowsell (Flashing Blade) clearly set up the ranges with a limited number of basic poses, but then he was paying for each sculpt, not doing them himself: there is more variety in the Greeks because, I guess, you can swivel a ball-joined bare arm in a cuirass arm socket more easily than any arm that has a sleeve on it. Doing much about this basic limitation will take time. For some reason, perhaps heroic, the Romano-Brits are 40mm foot to eyeball, and the Saxons are 40mm foot to top of head. When I inherited the masters he was also clearly looking at Normans and late Saxons, as there are four sculpts in that style and a kite shield. He clearly looked at a lot of things (10mm, 28mm, modern vehicles) and some focus would have been better. :-)

As for opposition for the Romano-British, I thought the early Saxons in the range did that. How broad did you want to go?

Best, Ian
Ian
Fighting 15s
Gladiator Miniatures, Fighting 15s Flags, Martian Empires and Flashing Blade Miniatures
https://www.fighting15s.com

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2017, 12:38:15 PM »
Ian,

Apologies, when I first looked at the Saxons I thought they were later types but checking them again they should be fine as opposition for Romano-British. I also hadn't realised some of the figures had variants. The Saxon archer should also work for the RBs as well.

For cavalry, not suggesting copying figures but the Late Roman/Romano-British ranges that Crusader, Foundry and Footsore are what I was thinking of but I realise this is a big ask for 40mm. Saga forces are circa 50 figures so I am not sure how viable 40mm cavalry would be?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 12:44:58 PM by armchairgeneral »

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2017, 09:54:59 PM »
I've been searching for 40mm companies & ranges and have added everything I've found to the first post in this thread if anyone is interested.

Some of those listed are a single figure or range while others have multiple ranges. The Dark Ages, Cowboys and the American War of Independence seem to be the most common ranges.

I've ordered a Pict Noble (foot and mounted) and 4 Saxon Warriors from Hoka Hey and they've just been posted, so next week I will hopefully be starting my adventures in 40mm. :D

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2017, 10:51:46 PM »
I've been searching for 40mm companies & ranges and have added everything I've found to the first post in this thread if anyone is interested.

Thanks for doing that. Very useful.

I have ordered 3 Romano-British figures from Fighting15. Wondering what I have started  :o

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2017, 09:15:05 AM »
No problem, if anyone else knows of any other ranges etc let me know and I'll add them.

I know what you mean, I've ordered 5 minis and I'm already thinking a Saga warband is very tempting :D

Offline Fighting15s

• Scientist
    • Fighting 15s
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2017, 08:05:00 AM »
Ian,

Apologies, when I first looked at the Saxons I thought they were later types but checking them again they should be fine as opposition for Romano-British. I also hadn't realised some of the figures had variants. The Saxon archer should also work for the RBs as well.

For cavalry, not suggesting copying figures but the Late Roman/Romano-British ranges that Crusader, Foundry and Footsore are what I was thinking of but I realise this is a big ask for 40mm. Saga forces are circa 50 figures so I am not sure how viable 40mm cavalry would be?

I'll see what I can do, though don't expect anything soon. I may have to use resin for the horses, but the few Flashing Blade horses are quite robust. I was also considering resin versions of the infantry bodies with metal weapons, but this involves an extensive mould making and remastering programme. I ran a sample Romano British infantryman in resin a while ago, and one advantage of the material is that it superglues together very well.

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2017, 01:04:13 PM »
I'll see what I can do, though don't expect anything soon. I may have to use resin for the horses, but the few Flashing Blade horses are quite robust. I was also considering resin versions of the infantry bodies with metal weapons, but this involves an extensive mould making and remastering programme. I ran a sample Romano British infantryman in resin a while ago, and one advantage of the material is that it superglues together very well.

Okay thanks Ian. Very impressed with the 3 Romano-British figures that arrived in the post this morning  :)

Offline Fighting15s

• Scientist
    • Fighting 15s
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2017, 02:04:38 PM »
When I inherited the masters he was also clearly looking at Normans and late Saxons, as there are four sculpts in that style and a kite shield.

I have just discovered these are on one of the master moulds and will run some off when I get the chance. Just as I'd ordered some Sash & Saber 40mm Normans too...

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2017, 08:37:16 AM »
I have just discovered these are on one of the master moulds and will run some off when I get the chance. Just as I'd ordered some Sash & Saber 40mm Normans too...

Do you know anyone who does 40mm Dark Ages terrain?

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2017, 09:14:05 AM »
My minis from Hoka Hey arrived and they look great. Incase anyone is interested I've started a plog.

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=98440.msg1220794#msg1220794

I've not done much so far just started to built the Pict Noble on foot but I've almost finish painting an Eldar Dread so after that things should move quicker :D

Offline Lovejoy

• Mad Scientist
    • Oathsworn Miniatures
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2017, 10:46:54 AM »
I don't think Steve Barber's range has been mentioned?

http://www.stevebarbermodels.com/12-40mm-miniatures

cheers
Michael

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2017, 10:52:55 AM »
Good spot Lovejoy, thanks. They've been added to the first post, don't know how I missed them as I just picked up a copy of Steve Barber's Ultimate Skirmish Game which has rules for 40mm minis, not managed to read through it yet though.

http://www.stevebarbermodels.com/books/426-theultimateskirmishgame.html